1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Has to be the end of the Pickett Era

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Redsteel, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    OK, (Great clip)

Can someone explain to me why doesnt Kenny have a WR go in motion to dictate to the defense to declare zone or man?

Tom Brady did this all the time with Wes & Eidelman as we know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That’s not a Kenny issue, it was a Canada issue. That’s part of Canada’s JV offense. Even when we do put someone in motion on a pass play, the motion man typically sets for 2-3 seconds before the snap, which allows the defense to process and understand whether and how their assignments have changed with the repositioning of the motion man. Really primitive stuff.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We do have people going into motion all the time. It nor alway a pure indicator of man, or zone. The D also knows why the teams do that and try hiding it. You will see many time a guy follow to show they are in man, and then switch off with another player and go zone, and the opposite of that for example. Especially if they know what certain player You like to run out to check.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    You are correct. Tua had a rough rookie season.

I believe the discussions at the time were about how Miami missed on Justin Herbert.

Tua was holding the ball too long, missing reads, and had a "weak" arm.

That all changed with an offensive minded coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersfaninPhilly

SteelersfaninPhilly Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38960782/kenny-pickett-steelers-oc-change-challenge-everybody

Though there's a change to the person making the calls, Pickett doesn't expect a dramatic shift in the offense with quarterback coach Mike Sullivan on the headset Sunday. Running backs coach Eddie Faulkner will take over various weekly offensive coordinator duties.

"You can't have wholesale changes at this point in the season," Pickett said. "We're going to run the system that we've been using, and Coach Sully, Coach Faulk, they're going to put their wrinkle in on it, on what they want to run and when they want to run it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    As I look at that play, it looks to me like a bad route scheme IMO. At the moment Pickett has to decide who to throw the ball to, both receivers are within 5 yards of each other making it hard to decipher who the two defenders are going to cover. That puts your QB in tension instead of the defense. It would be much better for the outside receiver to do a go route and Pickens to do an out route. If the go route is there, throw it, if not, Pickens would have easily been open on the out. Alternatively, you could have had Pickens angle inside on a seam route and have the QB throw it over the backpedalling LB but short of the safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011

This one is over a half hour, but has some good detail. Of course there’s plenty of blame to be spread to both Canada and Pickett, but he makes a good case that the “miscommunications” were DJ.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Here’s Tua’s “rough” rookie yr stats:
    9 starts W/L: 6-3, 186/290 64.1% 6.3yd/att. 11 TD 5 Ints

Kenny’s current yr:
    10 starts W/L: 6-4, 170/281 60.5%, 6.1 yd/att. 6 TD 4 Ints.

Similar, but one big difference Tua was a 22 yrs old rookie , and Kenny is 25 now.

The supposed upside of drafting Pickett was that with 5yrs of college, he was NFL ready. He wouldn’t need the seasoning or go through the growing pains. It sure hasn’t turned out that way.

Tua and Pickett are essentially the same age, Tua is 3months older.

For those seeking hope comparing Kenny to Tua, unfortunately the comparison is not very close.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Maybe just my opinion, but KP is the better of the 3 we have on roster currently. I would like to see the Steelers draft a QB early in the '24 draft. If he beats out KP, KP upgrades the backup role. If he doesn't beat out KP, at worst we have the same QB room. It can't hurt us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    not surprised about DJ. He’s not a sharp receiver, in fact I can’t recall another receiver losing the amount of yards he loses by running in the wrong direction. He’s not clutch either. I hope they develop CA III and trade DJ for picks

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've been out of the loop for a while... but there will not an end to the Pickett era any time soon. Pickett gets the rest of this season and then some of '24. At least.

Are you people on crack or meth? :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Excellent question.

13. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Every morning I awake with hope of reading a new Kenny comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    The Steelers and the Steeler fanbase have done no favors for Dobbs, Mason and now apparently KP. I don't know KP's ceiling and neither does anyone else. The ridicule and negativity are not helping and could easily lower his ceiling. I believe this contributed greatly to Mason's disappointing development. Dobbs looks every bit as good as any top tier quarterback. Maybe the player just needs a solid organization, supporting cast and trust to showcase their 'true' ability. The Steeler fanbase is among the smartest and most loyal fanbase in the league. They also tend to be brutal to their quarterbacks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Yea it’s because he sucks.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers offense looks like the '99 Rams compared to the Jets offense.

There are some terrible offenses in the NFL. Steelers are one of the least of the terrible.

Jaylen Warren, thankful we have him. He's like Bettis in '99 and '00.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I do not take that first year into account for Tua. Fitz was the QB there, and then midseason they decided to start Tua as a rookie the rest of the way. It was weird, Fitz was doing well.

Next year, Tua got popped in the rib and missed a bunch of game with injury. They lost all games Tua missed and ultimately missed the playoffs.

Following year, last season, Tua was doing well, and then got concussed, missed a game or two, they lost those games. Then later towards the end of the season he got concussed again, and they kept him out the rest of the season and in the playoffs.

So, yeah, injuries were the issue there, but the team was competitive for the playoff run with Tua in both of those season. Pickett is nowhere near Tua's early performance level.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Ask Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart and Bubby Brister.

You are correct.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure

The fans were the problem