1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

OC Candidates

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by YinzerBuckeye, Nov 21, 2023.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    You shut your whore mouth!:frustrated:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Maybe he'll bring in his dad's cutting edge scheme! :lolol:

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I've already had to watch the same offense on Saturday and Sunday for the better part of two seasons. Either one or both get markedly better and I'll be ecstatic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I know. It's brutal.

I'm a Penn State fan. I've seen a fair amount of Iowa games over the years. They have slowly just turned into a pathetic offensive team. The defenses are awesome. They have a good number of talented players but the schemes and overall style of play are hard to watch. Ferentz has been a very good coach for a long period of time, but it's time that the university tells him that he needs to get an OC and let them run the offense or he needs to step down. What highly-rated skill position player coming out of high school on the offensive side of the ball is going to go there to play in that system. Only tight ends and the home-grown offensive linemen!

Imagine those defenses with a team that could put up close to 30 a game. They would be tough to beat and probably be a perennial top 10 team.

5. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Steelers announce they fired Canada and hired Mexico? That what you’re saying? By Gad you might be onto something!:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Man, you are echoing everything every Iowa fan says all the time. Funny thing is, Iowa fans are just as divided about Ferentz as Steelers fans are about Tomlin. Some appreciate what he's done for the program and like that Iowa is competitive every year, while the other half think the team is stuck in the old ways and want them to compete for national championships. I fall in the latter category. Rather tired of the mediocrity and to be honest, as you said, the offense is straight up dreadful to watch and has been for some time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Good list OP, I’m not going to claim to be an expert but I really do hope they take their time with this and go outside the organisation for the next OC. It’s hard to beat one of the Shanahan disciples if you want to help a young QB out.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, if we want to continue scoring like 15 points a game.

9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hire the Michigan OC if Harbaugh leaves CFB, he also coaches their OL, kill two birds with one stone :thumbs_up:.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Omar will have significant input on the next OC potential candidates along with Tomlin

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would he leave his FSU job to become an NFL OC :rolleyes:?

12. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    My problem with Smith is this...they have spent a high first round pick on a TE (Pitts) and WR (London) and Simth ignores them completely in his game plans and play calling (I know he is HC, but he could demand they both get 6-8 targets a game). He is ALL about RBs and apparently thinks the passing game is merely for decoying the defense.

The Falcons have NOT been good under his tenure. Arthur Smith should not be considered at all. I am amazed that Arthure Blank hasn't already fired him.

13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes this is who we selected Mike.

14. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I don't know that he would or not. I thought this was a discussion of coaches we would like for OC. But just for the giggles, let's say he is willing to leave FSU for an OC job with the Steelers. I think he would be great at it.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Based on recent history, I'd say our best choice for OC is currently a position coach on the 49ers.

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    At the very least whomever hired Canada should not be part of the process

• Winner Winner x 4
  17. Iron Nickel

Iron Nickel Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2023
    Coen struggled with the Rams in the season he was OC. Rams moved on quickly from him. I don't think he's up to snuff.

Also it irks me that philosophically everyone is jumping on the WCO and that underneath-focused garbage. So I'd hire Josh McDaniels, and have him serve the rest of this season as an offensive assistant, where he acts as a sounding board for the duo who will be running the show. Then as soon as the season is over he ascends to the OC gig, installs the EP system (which is the most efficient language) and his playbook, and allow his experience to help you decide which QB to draft to put pressure on Kenny.

I want an offense that runs with power. Not that zone blocking BS. Power and duo with a steely eyed QB who rains down destruction from the pocket behind said run game. I know that's not Kenny, who is more the mealy eyed QB who checks down destruction. But McDaniels is a guy nobody will hire as head coach, and he'd give Tomlin a real counterpart who actually knows what he's doing on the offensive side of the ball.

18. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Not sure what you are talking about. Cooper Kupp and Matt Stafford got hurt the season he was OC. Who would overcome that? They also didn’t move on quickly from him, lol. McVay was non-committal about returning so he gave his assistants his blessing if they found other jobs, so he did.

19. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    eff Josh McD. Yuck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Ben is never going to do it even if he were offered. It's a 60 hour a week job .

21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I hear you. I said he's not my first choice but he did well in Tennessee. He does know how to throw it successfully and would have to work with Tomlin on that stuff anyway. And we seem to have a FO here that wants to run first. The biggest issue with both teams are the QBs they're working with. The kid in Atlanta stinks though Pickett may not be better. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I can see the Steelers hiring Griese as OC this off season. Minimal experience hasn’t frightened them off before (Tomlin had 1 year of experience as DC when they hired him to be the HC)

23. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Just about every NFL playbook has WCO concepts in it. No one runs a pure Bill Walsh style offense anymore. Kyle Shanahan's version of the WCO is effective because they mix a lot of gap and man blocking concepts into their run game. It's not all strictly zone blocking.

McDaniels has not worked out anywhere outside of New England. Based on his LV exit, I don't he and Tomlin could co-exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Honestly I don't want anyone good before Mike Tomlin decides he wants to chase college football stardom. Any one they bring in who game plans, has an established coaching philosophy, has proven success and knows offensive football will be quickly ground down by the "that's not what we do here" " we don't seek to reinvent the wheel " "we don't concern ourselves with what other teams do" I'm surprised Haley, Arians, and Fichtner haven't started talking yet about how exactly they would be overruled in staff meetings.

25. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    I'd prefer someone not associated with the organization.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1