1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada FIRED

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Nov 21, 2023.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We know for sure the Rooney's fired Arians despite Tomlin saying he was coming back. We know they hired Haley. Everything else is just speculation, but I'm not sure we can say they rarely meddle. I think there's enough evidence to indicate that they are heavily involved in coaching decisions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Scribe I'm not interested in rehashing old arguments but this seems inconsistent with previous statements you made about Colbert lying about the draft grade on Edmunds. I asked you a similar question to what you are doing now what is the point of lying about something like this. Anyways just found it strange.

3. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That claim doesn't fit the available facts. He had a great deal of success attacking the middle of the field at Pitt and this offense avoiding the middle of the field started before he was drafted.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He has done it, but for some reason, it disappeared from the offense. Remember the throw he made while getting lit up against the Jets when he came on in relief of Trubisky. I'm not sure why he seemed to lose confidence in his ability to make those throws, but the ability is there.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Different situation and different person. Also, the motivation made more sense then.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Fair enough

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Why would anyone assume it was a lie? A conversation was had behind closed doors and the outcome was a firing. Tomlin needs to keep the locker room and passing the buck off onto the organization would be weakness IMO. These types of things happen all the time. I agree that we are mostly truthful, but if the "truth" goes against the end goal of winning games or keeping the locker room in tact, then just say what needs to be said.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    So the Ends justify the Means. That’s a slippery slope. Somebody on here implied Tomlin lied when he said it was his decision to fire Canada and his alone. Why would he say it that way do specifically? It just seemed very odd. Usually they refer to these decisions in a plural form as in wr or the Organization. So it leads me to believe that Tomlin is sensitive to the noise that he doesn’t world all the power he would like but wants to portray it as such or he does indeed have that kind of power and has heard the rumblings of people questioning wether he does so he wants to reinforce to everyone who has the power. Either way it wreaks if ego and is concerning because I believe that is where a lot of our issues lie is with Tomlin and his esteem of power and micromanaging.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Well then I’m perplexed because he had WR’s open across the middle and wouldn’t throw their way. He might be so nervous now with having it beat into his head about not turning the ball over. Tomlin has seemed to have that effect on all the QB’s except for post bench Mitch who clearly is just ripping it now when he gets out there.

11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Starting to look that way. Not sure Art II is as good as his Dad was either.

12. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Don't forget the dismal teams we had in the 60's. It took a while for him to get it right but he did

13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    He's not even close. I'm afraid that AR2 is the "Fredo" of the Rooney family :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's very possible Rooney told Tomlin that he thought he should make the change, but said it's your decision, you're the head coach. I don't know about football operations, but in a business setting, you rarely see something like that being demanded, especially if there is a long working relationship between the two, because it diminishes the person's authority.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh definitely. 4th string QB's can make those throws. It's not like it's particularly hard to throw to the middle of the field. Especially if they're playing man with 1 deep safety. Which ever way the safety leans, go the other way. The more difficult throws are the ones to the side lines. So I just don't get it. I have to believe it was a coaching problem, because I know Kenny can make those throws

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Of course they’re heavily involved. It is after all their business. Rooney is there every single day.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I bet this is what happened. You can even hear the tone in Tomlin's voice. He's not someone getting orders barked at hom. I think Rooney is respectful enough to not do that. I'm sure they discussed the situation pretty much like you said.

The Rooney's are a huge reason I like this football team. Maybe loyal to a fault to some but patient making decisions. It does help they've had winning on their side though. We get to btch and complain sitting at a 6-4 record. What other teams does that happen with?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Compared to other NFL teams, I firmly believe they hire their people and let them do their jobs. Besides Arians being shown the door in favor of Haley, the only other time recently I can remember ownership having input was when they didn't have a go to running back. That was before the draft when they took Harris. I'm sure there are instances we are unaware of. The Rooney's are pretty good at shunning the limelight unlike Jerry Jones. If they meddled incessantly, there's no way they would have only hired three head coaches in the last 54 years or fired their first coordinator on Monday since 1941. They firmly believe in their hiring process and continuity.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Who is 47

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    40 as a HC. 37 as an OC.

21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The talking heads were going on how, not just the Steelers, but on the whole the NFL does not go over the middle like they use to. As usual they brought up every reason. Injuries is one I could agree with.

Raiders had a guy in the secondary named Atkinson. This is back in 70's. Cannot remember the Steeler but Bradshaw hit him right in the numbers in the middle of the field and he took a huge legal hit (at least at the time) that laid him out for awhile.

22. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016

According to DK, his inside sources said it was Tomlin's decision and his decision alone. There was no push from Rooney though I'm sure Tomlin discussed it with him before making the announcement.

23. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    It was Swann that got wiped out by Atkinson.

Yes there are far fewer throws over the middle these days. I don't recall where I heard the stat, maybe it was Williamson, where the Steelers were throwing down the middle 5% of the time while the league average was 10%. That was surprisingly low.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Every coach drills it into your head not to turn the ball over. They do so for good reason. It leads to losing

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    This is just how big organizations work, football or otherwise. If there is a big new sales directive, who cares if it comes from the VP of sales or the board of directors? The VP will deliver the directive and the salespeople live with it. The salespeople and customers aren't owed every fine detail behind the scenes on whose decision it was. The person who makes the firing says "I made a decision to move on from XXX, we are changing the direction in leadership and how we move to market. Here are the highlights." You present a unified front and move forward with your decision. Always.

• Agree Agree x 2