1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada FIRED

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Nov 21, 2023.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    nor should they. He's a trash human.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Same time it always is.

3. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Who got fired? Never heard of him. Kay-Nay-Day? Am I pronouncing that correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This move should not only benefit Kenny Pickett, but it should benefit others in the offense such as Najee Harris. I still believe Najee is a great running back in this league and deserves to start or be part of that tandem with Jaylen Warren. Two different styles of runners and you have to design plays and play to their strengths. Canada was not able to design plays according to player personnel in addition to adjusting to what the defense was doing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    About a year too late . He should not have been brought back.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Have to say I am quite shocked like others that the Steelers did this. As another user on this thread pointed out, last of such an occurrence was during the days of World War II; 1941. That was four score and two years ago; unreal.

Be this as it may in terms of my astonishment, something had to be done. That said, I do concur with both @Blast Furnace and @SteelersFanIrl that the onus now falls on Kenny Pickett.... but with a twist. Kenny isn't just the only one playing for his time here in Pittsburgh.

Anyone on Offense who has been either inept or insufficient is playing for their jobs now. Time to see what this Offense can really do.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This is what I concern myself as well. The AFC is still wide open but I seriously doubt one move is going to catapult the Steelers into the top seeding in the Conference. Bigger question remains is if the Steelers can nab a Wild Card?!

Time will tell.

8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    It could help George Pickens too

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Pickett's stinker definitely got Canada fired, but how much responsibility does Canada bear for Pickett's lack of development?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    How? I missed this. Did he rip the organization?

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There have been situations that firing a coordinator sparked a team, but I wouldn't count on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    And don’t run out of the back of the end zone before passing the ball.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    While I'm excited that Canada is gone, I'm concerned that the replacements are in house and have been in all the same meetings and moved forward with this product week to week. How much of an improvement can be expected? Would these guys not have been kicking and screaming about the scheme all this time? I understand you getting someone outside isn't happening in-season, I'm just trying to temper expectations if you will.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Watching NFL Network this morning they are saying Eddie Faulkner will be the interim OC and Mike Sullivan will be the Offensive Play Caller. I wish we would have gone outside, but I guess in the words of Mike Tomlin, "We didn't want to do something stupid."

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That doesn't describe any of the three plays on that last possession. None of those passes were in the flat. The first-down pass was about six yards down field. Johnson didn't get his head around in time and only put out one hand. The second-down play, Pickett threw it deep, but Johnson broke off his route short. The third-down play was farther down the field on the left side. That one was too high to catch, but it wasn't in the flat.

16. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The last time the Steelers fired a coach during the season Pearl Harbor hadn't happened yet.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is possible, too, but the last seven games are not going to tell us that definitively.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I never said he's the nicest guy in the world, but who out there is better qualified to run an offense?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  19. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Interesting that they appointed the QB coach as interim when he is already responsible for Pickett's development

20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He knows QB's and he knows offense. However you have to be able to respect the people you work for.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Nah. The excuse will be that the transition messed him up and that a internal interim OC didn't change things enough.

I'm not making that argument, but those are factors. The poor system didn't help. Defenses knowing what was coming far too often didn't help. Canada didn't help. Pickett still needs to see open guys and make the throws. He hasn't even done that the last few weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correction - it was , what, 10, 12 and out?

regardless, Kenny WAY missed him

23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not really as he’s the only one on staff that’s called a game. From everything I’ve read teams actually got worse when he was promoted to oc, but only time will tell

24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He is the logical choice as he was an OC in the NFL before.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He hasn’t done that all season