1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada FIRED

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Nov 21, 2023.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Expect lots of whining from the "two things can't be true" crowd. Take Kenny out of the equation and judge Matt Canada off of what we know about him, what nearly every single NFL analyst has said about him, and I think we can come to the realization that he needed to be replaced.
    Now put Kenny back in the equation and we understand that he is playing like hot garbage. Will a change in offensive philosophy help him along? I have no idea but in my opinion I feel like he should be on a pretty short leash. These guys are professional evaluators of talent and they should have more than enough tape and practice time with Kenny to see if his problems are fixable or not.
    I think we all understand that the real issue comes down to whether or not the organization is willing to admit a mistake with Kenny if it comes down to that and do something about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We're not winning the SB with any of our QB's. So I say give Pickett some time with a new OC. I'm not sold on him at all at this point, but I say give him a real opportunity. Let him sink or swim the rest of the year. If he sinks really badly then maybe in a few weeks he gets replaced, but I'd like to see what he does without being able to blame Canada.

Personally I still think Tomlin is a big part of the problem, but he's probably not going anywhere so we'll continue not to have playoff success. Whatever. At least we'll be .500 or above every year. Should get a trophy for consistent mediocrity...

3. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    12pm presser going to be elite!

• Like Like x 1
  4. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It took almost a mutiny by some of the Steeler players, Pickens, Pickett, Harris, Okarafor and many national and local sports media. It was getting to a point of embarrassment for the Rooneys. Now I think they only have to pay Canada 1/2 of his 2023 instead of his whole salary if they fired him at the beginning of the year.

6. MattCanada

MattCanada Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2022
    You think this is funny!? I was still trying to figure this offense out it was about to be great ! You’ll all regret this !!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 11
  7. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I agree with you but the problem is, they are going to let him sink or swim the rest of the year with an interim OC? Can he make that much change this quickly to see any kind of improvement in Pickett?
    Given what we know about how the Steelers organization works, I fully expect them to give Pickett the rest of the season and then the start of next season with a new offensive coordinator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023
    I think it was necessary, and apparently so did powerful people within the organization.

Just because Canada is gone doesn't exonerate Pickett. He needs to show he is getting better and learning or he should sit.

It doesn't mean that whoever takes over as OC is a huge improvement.

We still don't know how much of this was Mike Tomlin forcing things upon Canada, or if anything will change with the new OC in that regard.

It doesn't make the existing scheme even one bit better. Let's just hope that whoever takes over duties has a better idea of how to use the best concepts and plays that work for the QB, and has a better feel for play calling and situational play calling.

I hope we see an improvement in the offense, but we will have to see how this goes.

I see now that RB coach Eddie Faulkner is expected to take over as interim OC. That is being reported on NFL Network.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe Canada will take his 3 plays with him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MattCanada

MattCanada Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2022
    You think this is funny!? I was still trying to figure this offense out it was about to be great ! You’ll all regret this !!!

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  11. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    The Steelers offense has 4 issues, they have taken the first step in correcting these.
    1. Matt Canada's was bad, not just this year, but for all 3 years
    2. The OL is still weak, we need a Center and we definitely need a RT. ( wouldnt hurt to beef up the G play if possible as well )
    3. Kenny needs better coaching. Drill the film review into his head, repeat as often as neccessary until he gets it. Work on his mechanics as well, a long windup in the NFL is not going to work
    4. Mike Tomlin now needs to let these new guys sink or swim, if he continues to meddle in all things, then he may in fact be the larger issue, we shall see!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    About time! He may not be the only problem but he has always been A PROBLEM

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Still figuring out your own offense. Just like the rest of us. :cool:

14. steelcity72

steelcity72 Member

Mar 15, 2022
    Coach Randy is back!

• Like Like x 1
  15. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    It had to be done. Sunday was one of the most embarrassing days in Steeler history. As bad as Pickett was, Canada's play-calling and scheming were terrible.

When the season's done, gut the whole offensive staff. We need a young OC with fresh ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Realistically… You can’t change an offense in six days. In fact, we should probably expect regression before progression. Nevertheless, it needed to happen.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    WOW! The players responses after the game has a lot to do with this. They had enough of playing good soldier. Harris’ was really telling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    maybe not central but still a problem, yes

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not necessarily. Ravens fired their OC mid season and were immediately better and won the SB. Exceptions aren’t the norm, I know but still possible. Canadas offense was so bad there really is no where but up.

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I’m shocked.

21. G Kem

G Kem Member

Jan 25, 2022
  22. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Absolutely, he is on the field and the coach does not miss open receivers or simply not see open men.

23. G Kem

G Kem Member

Jan 25, 2022
    Why not both?

24. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    I hope you’re right.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Kenny is playing bad but this move gives me hope that it is the scheme that is limiting him. It’s not all about him not seeing open receivers. The scheme is putrid.

Steelers don’t make this move if Kenny is as bad as we are all saying. That’s my hope anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1