1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Oct 29, 2023.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    not yet - they all retired, but the Young Guns will get there

we are splitting hairs

and no argument, Kenny is falling short mid-point, yr. 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    yeah, Ben used to irk the **** out of me after the first down run of 7 yards, we would inevitably try a 60 yard bomb on second down that was double covered and Ben hell or high water was throwing that then we would miss the 3rd and 3 and end up punting. We couldn't stand moving the chains progressively down field like Brady would do and we would force the bomb. Patience was not is strong suit. But alas, we took the good with the bad, but just perhaps if he was more patient we would have obtained another Lombardi!

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree He has grown as a player. You are 100 % correct, but could We, or any team wait that long for Him to become what He is now....a really good backup????
    I mean seriously.....in 6 years KFP if still in the NFL will be better than what He is right now....Do You want to wait that long....can the Steelers afford to wait that long to see what He will be???
    I don't think so, and if they won't wait that long for a 1st round pick....then nobody should expect it for a backup.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dobbs never played in this scheme...did he???

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Dobbs played in Haley and Finctner's. He never played in Canada's offense.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank You. :thumbs_up:I didn't think He did.

7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Dobbs is like Brad Johnson. Or maybe Rich Gannon.
    Slow bloomer.
    Really smart too.
    He's a guy you like.
    He's got a real good Offensive minded HC too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    My thoughts on KFP. He is playing ultra-conservative ball to the point it's affecting his overall play. He will need to make a change in order to build his confidence and not worry so much about INTs to the middle of the field. These back shoulder throws and short throws are not going to get him to the level he needs to be to beat better teams. You play a team like KC they are not going to hang around and keep it close to the 4th so Kenny can win the game in the waning moments of the game.

Are the coaches holding Kenny back or is he holding himself back? It's kind of hard to tell. It's one of those is this the tail wagging the dog or vice versa? His development is being held back because of the conservatism of the play calling. Those sideline throws can is making are more hopeful then purposeful and that scares the bejesus out of me.

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree and no we cant wait that long .. We need more prospects in the QB room ASAP.. I would not hate on Dobb's and KP and another solid draft pick at QB to battle it out for the next season or 2 .. If none can show enough then go another Vet and another draft pick the next season keep the best 1 and just keep building the room..

If you remember a few years back I stated we should take multiple stabs at QB in back to back years in a effort to replace Ben.. 1 of my pimps was Howell and another was Stroud .. Not sure if either will be Franchise QB'S as of yet it's to soon to tell ,but that QB room would look much better than the 1 we have now..lol..

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We certainly could have gotten Howell, but Stroud was never an option. We never lose enough games to draft high enough to get the top QB picks. That's the drawback of never having a losing season. Most years, about 2/3's of the starting QB's in the league are 1st round picks. The Steelers have had two HOF QBs, both drafted in the 1st round after terrible seasons.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not sure. If We didn't have KFP, and played Trubisky the whole year....We may not have had to move up very far, but it doesn't matter, because we didn't. So...:shrug:

12. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's an interesting thought. What would our record be last year if they only had Trubisky and Rudolph? I still think we probably win too many games to get close enough to the #2 pick, but who knows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree with you that’s my whole point. We are going to need KP to step up because our defense is going to struggle to keep games close.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Merril Hoge just had an excellent segment on DVE Morning show and in great deal explained why 3/4 of the posts about Kenny here have been made by idiots who don’t know football

But hey the other 1/4 already knew this

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    For those saying we could have gotten Howell - do you really think Howell would be Howell in Pittsburgh?

Tomlin is a defensive coach who prefers a safe, ultra-conservative offense. He wouldn’t be letting Howell sling it like he is in Washington, even if Canada wasn’t the OC.

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Really? Are you sure that’s what Tomlin wants? Is there anything in the way the Steelers played from 2007-2021 that would suggest otherwise?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Link please

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Madmike77

Jan 2, 2019
    The Steelers had a Super Bowl-winning QB who could do pretty much anything he wanted. Not some 2nd-year guy with absolutely no resume. If Pickett is told to not turn the ball over, he’s going to play conservative ball. Given some of the garbage we’ve seen from Trubisky I’m not going to complain too much.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    So he thinks KFP is the future?

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowherd just devoted an entire segment on why the Steelers should move on from Pickett. He compares Pickett to Tebow.... since Tebow won a lot of games, but was never anywhere near a franchise caliber QB.

21. Madmike77

Jan 2, 2019
    If Pickett hasn’t improved at all by the end of the year then I expect the Steelers will move on. Or at least spend a mid-round pick on a potential competitor. If they had a better backup then you could argue for a switch now. But Mitch is Mitch. He’s proven time and again he’ll throw bad INTs to lose games.

I’d almost be ok with starting Rudolph to see what he has, but when he was in there he looked pretty much like Kenny.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You get it...please share

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Would one of you explain exactly how in the heck I can provide a link for something I was listening to on the radio

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL....because you didn't say You listen to it on the radio...it could have been a podcast, YouTube live, or some such....in fact I'm sure even if it was only on radio.....someone...like DVE has put it up somewhere. This Why I didn't ask You, but I asked @strummerfan incase You didn't know. So if anyone finds a link....I would like to hear it. :thumbs_up:
    No biggie My Friend

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1