1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Oct 29, 2023.

1. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
  2. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    The problem is moving forward we are not going to be able to rely on our defense. We have too many injuries and a bad db backfield with the exception of JPJ. Minkah when he comes will have to play the slot or middle box even more to help on pass coverage because we don’t have ILB that can cover now. That leaves a single safety high and they are just gonna throw at Wallace or Peterson all day.

Teams are scheming up to block Watt and Highsmith and they are having a lot of success with it. In addition our Edge players have actually been a liability against outside runs and cut backs because they are over pursuing on inside runs every time.

Our defense is rated as one if the worst defenses in the league against the run and the pass. You add in the injuries it’s just gonna get worse. We can’t rely on getting turnovers every game.

teams are gonna stack the box to stop our run because it is the only productive element of our offense. Pickett has to step up and push the ball down field. The Receivers are getting open and the protection is better. He has to be more accurate and play less nervous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yep and so was Rudolph and so was Mitch. They drill it into these QB’s heads to not turn the ball over to the extent they all play really tight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Even Ben was like that in the last 2 years

5. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022

The gunslinging is really working for Josh Allen! The only way Kenny heads to the bench in 23' or 24' is if he starts playing wreckless. Sadly, with this pathetic offense of sideline throws, he's gonna throw some picks at some point but probably not enough to get benched.

6. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes and no. The big issue that has been a common problem at least the last four years is the pass protection has been bad. That has a huge impact on a lot of QB’s. Ben didn’t have the legs to mask that issue later in his career so he had to get rid of the ball quick.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    A offense always need some balance....I can live with turnovers,if this is not out of control if we have more production on offense....Right now the steelers have zero production on offense

8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    That’s why you gotta find a happy medium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022

It's not going to happen if he's being told not to turn the ball over, which he is being told that. They've clearly told him not to lose the game and he's making sure not to. But he's going to get in some shootouts down the stretch. The defense is a FAR bigger issue right now than KP is. The injuries and DB's may well get us blown out several times down the stretch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    I wish, just once, the Steelers would play to score instead of keep things close. Just to get a real idea where Pickett is in his progression.

11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    It's becoming clear he is not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022
    That's what's going to happen when you tell a guy not to lose the game. Sadly, he's had several drives to win games and gets hardly any credit for it from the online QB whisperers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    yeah, it's very possible that he is handcuffed like crazy....Even with Ben in his prime, sometimes I thought he was handcuffed by Tomlin except in 2 minutes situation or when we had to score in the fourth quarter....Bruce Arians already said in the past he couldn't open up his offense the way he wanted and he was right about that

But sure, Pickett is maybe a problem but he must have the trust from the coach otherwise why draft a QB in the first round if the only thing you want from him is to avoid turnovers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022
    Good points. Kenny may not be the guy, but the thrashing he's taking from people from behind their perputers is pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    "Check Down" is such a cop out.
    QB's these days, all take what the Defense gives.
    KC struggles (the few) are that the Defenses are not letting him throw those bombs.

Mahomes (Lower box) has thrown almost 100 times more. Thier offense is basically 'extended handoffs' - get the ball quickly into playmakers hands and let them do their thing. Mahomes is obviously more talented, no doubt.

But Kenny is throwing a decent comp% and a yard shorter on the average although he did have that perfect 72-yard bomb.
    Pittsburgh Offense is supposed to be based off the power run game, controlling the clock and mix in quick passes. (or if your lazy, check downs)
    Pittsburgh also doesn't have the receivers KC does.
    Pickens is supposed to be the best, but I'm starting to have concerns about his attitude.
    DJ is emerging as our prime guy, and I don't know about anyone here but grade him out as a secondary receiver at best.

This isn't to support of promote Kenny, but some of the stuff is just made-up Sheet.
    Kenny is coached to operate this offense, an offense that we know is not scaled to attack downfield.
    Also, I now know for fact, that his ribs are causing issues but getting better. Try throwing a pass with sore ribs sometime.

Again, none of this excuses the fact that Kenny needs to ascend to the next rung, or two or three. I agree 100% on that.
    That TD production needs to take a sharp incline. We have a 50% TD rate in the Redzone... tied at 19. Gotta get more dangerous there.
    I kept hearing about long passes, but he's thrown some lightning strikes.... laser on.
    Pickens screwed up a perfect throw for a TD by not doing what every rookie Receiver is taught daily - both feet down.
    Another clutch throw to the middle was blown by a stupid penalty. (I think there have been a few of those)

We can toss the baby out with the batch, that's fine.
    But there's a myriad of issues to solve as well.

Kenny_Mahomes.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    In all honesty…we just lived through a great, I mean GREAT, QB era: Brady, Brees, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Rogers, Wilson … I wonder how that impacts our evaluation of the current crop?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I don't remember Ben being handcuffed. Pickett has to earn the trust from the coaches, he made some mistakes earlier and avoided a few since then. But he's got to play better before they turn him loose. I know he's young but once he starts hitting those open Wrs on the regular, things will change for him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    The Steelers were often too conservative when they had the lead, even if it was a one score game

20. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    That's always been the story for The Steelers, pound and grind. Ben was a gunslinger though and hit the open receivers when the plays were called.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well....there are a handful of GREATS (or will be GREATS) playing now. There are always GREATS playing......and one of them does not appear right now to be on our roster.

• Like Like x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s a message board on the internet

Exactly how do you communicate on it without a computer

Plus his evaluation is in papers, 65,000 people at the game, two people talking in a bar, etc

So exactly what kind of sense did this make

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    This crop is NOT that crop. And Kenny is not what I hoped he would be.

24. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I've got it! Since we were trying to think of a good nickname for Pickett on this board a while back, I have the perfect nickname given his penchant for not throwing interceptions...

KENNY PICKLESS!!! (unfortunately he's also Kenny Touchdownless :shrug:)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. GoldBurgh

Dec 31, 2022

Good post. Keep in mind that alot of vitriol towards Kenny isn't even about Kenny - it's people that are mad about things in their lives and Kenny is the whipping boy until they find the next whipping boy, LOL. Kick back, have a cigar and/or your drink of choice and enjoy the season. I know we are!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1