1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not sure about Levis yet, but I get what Cowherd is saying about Pickett. My hope is that what we see from him in the 4th quarter of close games is a sign of who he really is, and he’ll pull it all together and become a quality QB with the clutch gene. My fear is that he remains a below average QB that pulls out just enough dramatic wins over lower/mid tier teams that we stay with him too long.

There are signs that point both directions.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Well Pickens robbed him of a TD pass in the endzone so that was on Pickens. He still throws high a lot. Not sure hoe to correct that but it needs addressed.

3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It's funny, you said that you wanted Pickett pulled, but then "boom". I don't get the "boom" part. At least when it comes to Pickett. If you were talking about the over 100 rushing yards, then yeah, ok. Seriously dude, I'm not attacking you at all. You were just a good post for me to quote.

If you look at the numbers, Pickett threw for 80 yards in the second half. 35 in the 3rd. 45 in the 4th. 80 glorious yards. 80! EIGHTY!

The 8 minute drive you're talking about, that went 75 yards, he accounted for 30 yards on 7 throws.

The go ahead drive, he basically had two passes to DJ. One was a patented KP 'chuck it and pray' special. Usually those are to George. Thankfully, Avery, who was in absolutely perfect trail position, tripped on the 35 yard line, falling flat on his face, just before the ball got there. KP got really lucky. And that was 3rd down, the drive would've been over. That went for 35 yards. Or nearly 50% of his entire output for the half. Then the second was a little 3 yard flick to a WIDE open DJ. Thanks to a great Allen Robinson pick play. That drive was mostly the Rb's.

Seriously, I see ham & egg back-ups, every week, putting up comparable/better numbers than KP.

Look, I'm glad we won, but I take almost no pleasure in these wins, because this isn't sustainable. Every stat tells the opposite story of a 5-3 team. Except turnover ratio.

Seriously, if I was asked to give a percentage chance on the Steelers winning the SB this year, or even longer really, I would optimistically say about a 3-5% chance.

Just looked it up online, Vegas has them at 75/1 right now to win SB. Ouch, that's way worse than what I gave! Vegas doesn't make these numbers capriciously.

I like Pickett as a kid. But, I see nothing to indicate to me that he is, or is capable of being, the guy. I see another Jordan Love. Who KP is older than, btw. Packers thought they could pull off another Rodgers situation. Nope.

Is there anybody here that wouldn't trade KP straight up for Stroud, Young, Richardson, or Levis? I'd easily throw in a 2nd for any of them.

Just watching Richardson for those few games, I could see those moments every game. Those moments where you say, out loud "Whoa!"

Kp has not made me say "Whoa!" out loud once in 20 games. That's a problem.

4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    The same way Big Ben never made anyone say whoa his first 20 games, right... They both have had limited numbers and both found ways to win despite limited offense. Pickett hasn't thrown a pick in 4 games and is 13-5 as a starting QB. He's a game manager and if you don't get that then you're a retard

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022

If 4th quarter comebacks and composure don't make you go "whoa", then I guess you just like shiny things.

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    KP is inconsistent but still showing a lot of potential. It's what most PROs would expect from a 2nd year QB or player in general. Some fans have other ideas.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d say a coach with nearly 20 years seniority has a lot more say what goes on with the team than he doesn’t. Thats just life.

There really isn’t a budget in the sense you are implying. Coaches salary doesn’t affect the cap but an owner may deny a GM to pay an insane salary to a coach but there isn’t a set number per se that they have to work within to put together a staff.

8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Perfect analogy!

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    KFP hair is not long.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He's been doing audibles for the last 4 , or five games. He did a few last night also.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That My Friend is an audible. You don't have to change the complete play for it to be an audible. He also made more since then, and even last night. Example....He changed from a run to a pass last night. People You don't just open the play book to everyone as soon as they start playing. He is getting more, and more stuff as He can handle it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    A lot of guys had an arm and did not have "it". No one had a stronger arm than Jamarcus Russell. Ryan Leaf had more physical talent than Payton Manning. "It" isn't about physical talent, "it" is what Kenny does in the 4th quarter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We shall see. Just sticking with that team....remember a few years ago when they got Tanahill, and most people were saying....see all Tanahill need was better coaching, and after teams got used to the different way they were using Tannehill he became average old Qb Tannnehill again, and people never brought it up again. I prefer to let a Qb play a few seasons before I crown them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Actually I wouldn't trade Him for any of them except Stroud. Richardson will be lucky to even ever finish a season. I wasn't sold on the other two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    was the drive made by kenny? no. was he able to complete a pass to a wide open dj? yes. prior to that kenny was the same kenny. that isn't what i really call clutch. i think mason could have done the same thing. trubisky? maybe, maybe not. who knows about check down trubisky. he was a one time starter. not sure how though. the rb's did the damage on near every drive only to see an errant pass sail over the heads, behind, late, or many other places but on the receiver prior to that. this offense tries to put him in position to connect on one good pass per drive it seems and most times it doesn't happen. this is not clutch. there is a problem. we can wish and hope all we want but right now kenny isn't a franchise qb or even close. down the road? maybe but he's got a long way to go. i hope it is a high priority in the draft. :cool:

16. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    LOL! Kenny doesn’t get any credit for a 92 yard drive yet Pickens can act the fool and should be rewarded. You aren’t a serious person. Thank goodness you aren’t calling the shots. I won’t bother reading this nonsense anymore.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm so glad you won't. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Welcome to the land of Goldbunny ignorees. Enjoy your stay.

it’s getting a little crowded in here…

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Most of the time he is throwing barely 20 yards we nickel dime down the field only at the it is 4 and whatever.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Welcome to the club. Pretty soon He will be talking to himself. LoL. I bet it won't be the 1st time, or last.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Man I just saw that Missed bomb to Austin. He had every Lineman coming in his face except the one Jones was blocking! If the interior guys hold up just a little better he can really step into that throw and changes the whole outlook of the game! Did he miss some throws? Absolutely! But he managed to get it under control and he led 2 long drives for scores. Hell He has another TD if Pickens drags his foot on a nicely placed ball in the endzone! The shot down the right sideline to DJ was money. So was another one to the left that he rifled past the defender. He just needs to find his consistency. Also, I think the route concepts have him reading his receivers incorrectly. It feels like they're designing concepts that get the third read open almost instantly, but having him make those reads in order instead of changing how he reads it. If that makes sense.

PFF had Jones graded out as the worst O-lineman for the Steelers...I don't know how that's possible if they watched the same stuff I did and a lot of the other O-line guys I've watched.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I noticed that after rewatching it. I was initially upset with Kenny for seemingly underthrowing the pass but the replay showed that he had defenders in his face and couldn’t step into the throw. Still it was almost completed and took a great (and somewhat lucky) play by the defensive back to breakup the pass.

• Like Like x 1
  23. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Like many others I really want Pickett to succeed. I am starting to have my doubts. I know it isn't all Canada, but offensive woes have existed before Trubisky and Pickett, making Canada the common denominator. Mason showed promise before his knockout concussion (2019) but played one great game against Cleveland (2020) in a season ending loss prior to the following week loss to Cleveland in the Playoffs with Ben starting and Fichtner as the OC. Mason's tie game against Detroit (2021) under OC Canada left many wondering what happened to the progress he showed the year before. My point being, just as Mason may have shown more promise with an OC other than Canada, I believe Pickett may be suffering the same demise. If we don't get rid of Canada soon, Kenny will become one of the many on the QB carousel not named Bradshaw or Roethlisberger.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  24. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    All the cool people are here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    True, but he has to let that rip immediately it was there. The kid gonna run under it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1