1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe it's time we consider trading Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RBloodworth1, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBloodworth1

RBloodworth1 Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Let's face it: Ben has only ever been able to have success as a QB when he plays sand-lot football and is allowed to improvise. His effectiveness playing this style is only going to lessen as he gets older and his raw physical abilities erode, and his massive ego (and, quite honestly, lack of intelligence) will prevent him from learning to play within a system. I really think that it may be time to consider cutting bait, go into rebuilding mode, and trade #7 for badly needed draft picks before he turns into late-period Brett Favre. The Chiefs are a good QB away from being decent, are in bad need of making a splashy move to appease their fanbase, and are going to have one of the top two picks in the draft. There are no franchise QBs in this draft, so Ben would be an upgrade over anyone they could get with that pick. I think they may bite if we were to make an offer. As for us, we can pick up a free agent veteran for the next few seasons to help mentor our next starter as we rebuild through the draft. It's not like this team is going to be a Super Bowl contender anyway...

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
  3. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    so you would trade Ben knowing there are no RGIII or Luck's in this draft? hoping that they might get lucky and find a diamond in the rough.

well lets see it took nearly 25 years from the time Bradshaw was done until they found Ben.

these knee jerk reactions are crazy. Ben is not going anywhere.

why has Peyton Manning only won 1 super bowl? for as good as he is he doesnt have the ability to make things happen when everything else around him is failing. that is what seperates Ben from all other qbs. so he had 2 bad ints in 2 big games. all qbs have their bad moments. Ben is a proven winner. we can debate all day whether he is an elite qb or not. that really doesnt matter. its all about wins and loses.

trading Ben would probably be the dumbest move the Steelers have and would ever make and their not that dumb.

4. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm:

5. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

this team is a super bowl contender every year with #7 behind center...Hall of Fame Qbs do not come around too often...sorry stupid idea

6. jenyeart

jenyeart Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Well...unless you can trade him for Brees, Brady, or Peyton Manning...and that's not gonna happen.
    I really like RG3 and Luck, but they would take a step back for a season with all new players and systems.

BTW...that stuff wouldn't even happen in the land of OZ so let's just focus on getting the offense back on track.
    Ben had an MVP 1st half and an injury-filled, lousy 2nd half this season.
    If we shore up the O-line, get the receivers on the same page, and tweak the offense so it actually works we will be ok.
    Yeah, he seems to have a knack for the big turnover at the wrong time (about every other game), but most of the time he does far more to help us than hurt us.
    We would have been out of the playoffs weeks ago if he didn't carry the team earlier in the season.

It's the same story as all of the Tomlin haters...can we realistically get anybody who can do a better job? No? Then fix what we can and work hard to improve.

7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This thread has to be a joke. Please tell me it was a poor attempt at humor.

8. mrtnalvrz

mrtnalvrz Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012

It is obvious that this team is a totally different team since 2004, the year #7 became our QB. People that are saying stupid things like "trade Ben", or "it is Ben's fault", etc. have either no memory of the previous 25 years team success or are just "jump on the wagon" fans.

9. RBloodworth1

Dec 9, 2012
    Look, I remember the days of Malone, Brister, O'Donnell, Korky, Graham, Tomczak, Maddox, etc., etc. as much as the next Steeler fan. Ben has been better than any Steeler QB since Bradshaw, no doubt. I do think, however, that his career has peaked, and his level of play has nowhere to go but down from here. More importantly, the team around him isn't going to be at the level it needs to be to WIN A SUPER BOWL (you know, the standard around here) for quite a while. Make no mistake, this team has a ton of rebuilding to do, and Ben is the biggest chip we have to deal in order for us to get the pieces we are going to need for the next run. Yes, it's going to hurt us in the near future to go back into the wilderness for a while, but I'm thinking long-term here.

10. jaygorius

jaygorius Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Maybe it's time we consider trading RBloodworth1

11. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    C'mon man, this is not fantasy football here. :rolleyes:

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
    . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

14. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    And with just a week to go in the year, we have a new leader for the dumbest post of the year award.
    Congrats sir.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well theres 10 seconds of my life I wont get back.

16. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    [​IMG]

17. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben is the starter for at least next year, probably 3-5 more years. He is not yet a problem.

The teams needs to establish a running game, linebacker depth, and a defensive line. If that is done next year and Ben sucks than look into that then the next year.

18. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Two words:

Kent Graham.

19. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I have nothing...................just remeber this guy has lead this team to 3 SB's in the last few years! weve been in more SB's in the last 10 years than the Lions, Browns, and several others just making the playoffs!!!!!!!!!

20. NM Steelers Fan

NM Steelers Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We could always ask if Akili Smith was available.

21. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Wonder what his other 3 posts were?

22. RBloodworth1

Dec 9, 2012
    ^To answer your question, I had to create a new user ID due to the change in servers. I'm not trolling.

I knew this was going to be controversial, but I think making this move may be best for the team in the long run. If the Chiefs would take our offer, we could draft Jarvis Jones with the number one pick, use our second first-round pick to address other needs (perhaps Tavon Austin? a quality DB? more OL help?), and then sign Alex Smith to be our starter for the next 2-3 years. No, he doesn't have Ben's play-making ability, but he's smart, knows his limitations, and is custom-built for a dink-and-dunk offensive system like Haley's. We then will use a future year's draft pick to select the QB of the future. It's called addition by subtraction.

23. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

x500000000 C'mon Man!

24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The Chiefs would not trade the #1 or #2 pick overall for a 31-yr QB with lot of miles on him. You won't get anything near that for him.

What you do is keep your franchise QB during his prime, rather than trading him for an if/maybe.

25. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    You've been smoking some of that funny stuff this morning, haven't you?

Let me guess, visiting relatives in Colorado for the Holidays?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.