1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Oct 29, 2023.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

TL is very good, I knew he would be. made mince meat out of our D, even tho he made a bonehead throw or 2.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You make too much sense for most people on this board.

3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'll agree with participation playing football shrinking. My son's school cluster used to have 2 8th grade teams several years ago and now can barely field just one. St. Vincent- St Mary HS (LeBron James went there) could only get 22 players on the freshman team this year. I think this is having an impact in college as there are fewer elite teams now then there were 20 years or more ago. Since 2006, there hasn't been a team West of the Mississippi that has won a national championship. Half of those are by a few teams from the SEC. Coincidence? JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Didn't Sunshine (Lawrence) start out a little rough as well?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dynamic Dennis

Dynamic Dennis Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    i would say the play calling would be the biggest issue. Like it has been the last 3 seasons. I may be biased, but I think we have a super talented team that does not get put into favorable positions to win. Almost every team in the NFL has close to the same amount of talent. You have to have a MAN, to tell men what to do and get results. The Steelers have always been a hard-nosed team, and that is what they are known for. We are mostly soft now and it shows. Some of the extra curricular activity that cause's penalties would never had happened under Bill Cowher's watch. And that is where it all starts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He did have a rough rookie season. However, he improved significantly from years 1-2 and 2-3. While picket has shown no such improvement

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Why even draft Oline? We have already drafted oline and got high pedigree free agents and all of them are underperforming. To me to throw money and draft picks at the oline likes it’s a player issue is madness. They gave to fix the coaching. You can’t evaluate the QB, RB’s or WR’s until the oline is fixed. You can’t evaluate the oline until the OC and Oline coach are replaced. I would however upgrade the Center position because his contract is up and at best he is mediocre.

8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Neither of our guards have done very well this season either. That makes me think this is not a player issue as much as it is the oline coach and offensive scheme. If you want to not pick players then certainly the center and upgrading at RT and starting Jones at LT would be the future. But I’m not confident in that being a success until we get a new oline coach and OC.

9. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The Secondary is what needs to be the priority next year. The oline talent isn’t as much of an issue with the exception of center as the scheme and coaching are.

10. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The difference is they changed the coaches in Jackonsville his second year. Pickett hasn’t had that luxury.

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Apparently y’all don’t seem to understand that a significant component of improvement falls on the players. We have wide open receivers on nearly every play and y’all fall back to the same low hanging fruit.

12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Bingo. You nailed it. At some point in time ownership and GM need to step back and say we can’t keep wasting draft capital and drafting the same positions over and over again year after year because it isn’t a player issue it is a coaching and schematic issue. Even if we had great schemes I’m not confident our coaches can coach these guys up within the scheme appropriately.

I’m not saying we’re like Cleveland yet drafting high level talent that never produces but it is quite telling when two high pedigree guards come over from other teams and under perform. just throwing more draft picks at the oline may not be the answer.

I would much rather we seat heavy on the secondary. That is obvious to me that we have a talent void there.

13. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    KP is not playing well. That is a fact. I’m not disputing that. A lot if QB’s don’t play well under pressure. What I’m saying is how can you truly evaluate the guy in the midst of being under a terrible IC and bad oline play? No doubt he has developed bad habits over all of this. Even Burriw was in his own head for the first part of this season. It just would be nice to see Pickett okay behind a string oline and under hood coaching.

Big Ben didn’t light it up for years. He had the benefit of a great team around him. And good coaching. You look at Ben’s stats early in his career and they weren’t much better if even better than Picketts.

what us your suggestion we throw Pickett out and also get a new OC next year? That to me is foolish. That is what bad organizations like the Browns do. Constantly draft a QB every other year instead of looking at the scheme and coaching.

There isn’t one position on the offense right now that is not underperforming. I guess that’s all Picketts fault.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes I wonder if that is an issue with our offense and the lack of hot routes or whoever is responsible for recognizing the blitz and making the adjustment to a hit route. Sometimes I feel KP has literally no one to throw too.

15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I have said he needs to hold Tomlin accountable. How many years have we been complaining about this offense and getting the run game going and the oline fixed?
    He needs to bring an outside consultant in who can evaluate the team and provide a third party perspective on where the team is falling short and what changes need to be made. Tomlin has failed in implementing changes and executing those changes with his assistant coaches. He has shown an inability to evaluate coaching talent or an unwillingness to hire good coaching talent and allow that coaching talent to bloom within the organization. I feel it is tge matter because he wants yes men and all the control. I derive at that conclusion by the way Tomlin seemed to desire to push Lebeau out if the organization so he could gain full control of the defense. Yeah I know he kept Lebeau when he first came in but ivertime he got a taste of that control and probably wanted to implement his own ideas on defense that were conflicting with what Lebeau wanted.

At the end of the day I don’t think Tomlin is an X’s and O’s Guy as much as he thinks he is. That’s why he needs to step back and be less hands on and more if a big picture guy… that’s where he thrives. Go get some tenured or really bright innovative up and comers for both the defensive and offensive coordinator positions. I just don’t know if Tomlins Ego will allow that to happen or if Rooney has the courage to make that happen.

16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    does Pickett show anything resembling consistency? He routinely misses wide open receivers or completely ignores them. When you e got receivers running wide open and the qb completely misses or ignores them it’s not scheme or the play call. If any other qb was under center playing the way Pickett is y’all wouldn’t be bending over backwards making excuses for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Who is going to trade a decent QB?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    So why have coaches?

• Like Like x 1
  19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Why don’t you assemble a team with no chiefs and all Indians and answer that question for yourself. I promise it will be a great learning experience for you

20. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Lawrence was hamstrung by Urban Meyer and his coaching staff in year one. In year 2 he showed potential under Pederson and grew ever since. That’s the luxury that Pickett doesn’t have. He’s stuck with Canada and his schemes. The same Canada who stunk up the joint with Ben as the QB. As I always say. I don’t care how smart or how talented you are. Without a good teacher/coach there to nurture you, you are limited

21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You didn’t answer a thing I said. You just want to pile on Pickett as if he is the problem. I would suggest he is a problem right now but not THE problem and he may be a problem right now as a result of THE Problem. Fix THE Problem and perhaps you can actually evaluate Pickett to see if he improves and becomes a good QB. Take a Rookie Ben and put him in this scheme with this line. Ben had a propensity for holding onto the ball too long his whole career. Do you honestly think he would have done well under these current circumstances? He may have done better than Pickett has but I can assure you overall he would not have done well. I believe Pickett is pressing and trying to do to much and that he does not trust his offensive line. In addition he and the offensive line and the war’s are awful at implementing hot routes and recognizing the blitz and adjusting to hot routes. I have seen many plays where the WR’s are either not open, all their backs are turned to the QB or not breaking off a hot route when KP is under duress. Pretty soon when the QB has been traumatized enough times they feel like they are under pressure every single play and they can’t develop a rhythm. But we can just blow everything up and get a new QB and new OC next year. Or we can at a minimum focus on the common denominator of all of this and address that which is the OC, OL and scheme.

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correct

and he had ZERO talent at WR in his first year. but yes, he struggled mightily in Yr. 1. He read us like a book yesterday. Did not punt till late in the 3rd Q.

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

True -

Blame Tomlin and Rooney.

that said, Pickett will get another year, with a new OC, next year. this year will still suck

24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct on this

pickett missed on some big early plays yesterday. that was not MC's fault

25. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The game has changed and evolved. Gone are the days of the less athletic but beefy and strong types with less ankle flexion and a little stiffness. What I’m trying to say is Football has essentially eliminated a certain type of athlete such as a fullback, MLB, RB and morphed into it being all about the WR and DB. The WR, DB type athletes are more diminutive and also prone to play other sports like Soccer, Lacrosse, Basketball etc. So Football is directly competing with those sports now for athletes. the poor big, stiff and strong guys had only one sport which was football, now those guys are left out in the cold because they are no longer valued in football with that style of playing being obsolete now. SO I think the pool of athletes has become smaller now not just because of the stigma of parents not wanting their kids to play it but because they have essentially eliminated certain position types within the game as well.