1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    No. He has only one multi-TD game and one 300 plus passing game. I've been a Kenny supporter to this point but I just haven't seen any improvement. They can't even get a first down in an entire quarter. Every game it seems they're flat and unprepared, and Kenny's not ready to go.

It doesn't work in the NFL if you wait until the 4th quarter to make hay. Yes, we have the worst offensive coordinator of all time and a poor line, but a good QB should be able to audible to quick throws that can have success. And a good QB should be on time and accurate.

Mitch isn't good but at least he was decisive with some throws and running.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Until someone actually shows real proof, it is logical to assume the hiring manager, who happens to be the HC, makes his own staff decisions.

This limited budget stuff for coaching is total baloney. Tomlin is getting paid $12M which is in the top 5 in the league (or in the top 10). Tomlin just wants to keep all of the coaching budget to himself.

3. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    it seems to me that QB play in the NFL is down this year.

In fact it's been several years since we've had this bad QB play around the league in general

4. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Thinking Kenny is gonna look good this early in his career with ZERO running game is as laughable as it gets.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The hiring manager on NFL teams is usually not the HC.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The position all over the country is lacking, just take a look at the backup QB's on rosters in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    There is no way to evaluate the QB position with this OC and OL they both stink. We have two really good
    rb's and we can't muster 100 yds rushing?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    42 yards rushing yesterday if you take out the QB scrambles. But Kenny must overcome that they say! Give me a break.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    A running game is a QB's best friend, especially young QB's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Not only is Kenny a 3rd string QB at best, he’s also a quitter. Kenny and Mitch don’t have it to make this team a contender. Give Mason a couple of games to fight for The Steelers 2nd stringer. Trade for a decent QB ASAP and evaluate these bunch of scabs in the off season. I mean come on man!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    How can you evaluate the QB position with this OC and OL?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. steel_d_curtain

steel_d_curtain Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    blah blah blah. QB’s run the team and it’s up to them to make everything work. Pickett’s play sucked, Mitch’s play sucked, case closed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That avatar sure woke me up this morning.

14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    You have to give the QB and RB's a CHANCE to succeed, this OL and OC doesn't give any QB or rb a chance.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I sure don't have the answer but I heard this a few years ago. The NFL will become watered down because smart parent will not allow their children play a sport that can damage your brain. How true that is, no idea.

I go back to what makes me shake my head, 8 billion of us on this ball and can't find 32 guys who are great at throwing a football.

16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    For Kenny Pickett to get better.

The blocking has to improve, they got him clobbered Sunday.
    But that improvement is not always just getting what one perceives as better players.
    There has to be an Offensive Plan that causes the defense to 'think' for a second. It needs to confuse the defense some.
    Once you have the offense unsure or second guessing you have a bit of an edge.
    The Defensive Line just can't pin their ears back and bring it on any down.
    Force the defense to make mistakes, then exploit it.
    When the shoes are on the right feet, the Offense always knows what the play is, the Defense has to react.
    I don't have any confidence that Canada's offense has any idea of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he doesn't think so why should we think anything about him? :smiley1::cool:

18. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I agree.
    I'll bet the NFL feels this way too. With the good QB draft coming up, I'll bet as much as 1/2 of the NFL would like to trade out their current QB for a good one in the draft if one falls to them.

Love/GB, Watson/CLE, Smith/SEA, Wilson/DEN, Stafford/LAR, Jones/NYG, Murray/ARI, Mayfield/TB, Carr/NO, Pickett/PIT, Young/CAR, Garoppolo/LV, Ridder/ATL, Wilson/NYJ, Jones/NE, Purdy/SF.
    Perhaps Cousins, Prescott and Fields too.

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If the line blocks, if the receivers get separation, if the OC calls a good game, if Kenny took his vitamins, the clouds are light, the air is crisp, there’s more Steelers fans than opponents, if he had sexy time that morning, maybe Kenny can throw for 300 yards and 2 tds

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Hate to break it to you, but Trevor is actually taller and the same weight as picket. Which makes Trevor thinner

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It takes Pickett 4-6 games minimum to throw 4 touchdowns

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It’s quite simple. Trevor Lawrence is a franchise quarterback and Pickett is not. At this point picket is a journeyman backup. Can he improve? Possibly, but it’s not looking good. As it stands we haven’t seen a second year jump and that’s truly disconcerting

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    my thoughts are that I am getting tired of one trick pony Kenny. We need a 4 quarter QB. He sucks early in games and did again yesterday.

tomlin is a fool for saying that what we do early does not matter - a FOOL.

the game has passed him by and that is why he needs to go.

Kenny SUCKED. Missed DJ with the first throw - DJ could have caught it, but he was WIDE OPEN and Kenny threw it high. Kenny under-threw Pickens on a critical third down, on the sideline. Kenny threw what should have been a pick six in the flat in the first Q. And he missed DJ at the goal line. and then the BONE HEAD decision to check down to 30 , on 3rd and 8. Kenny ain't bright.

he is not that good - I have been patient, but he is not that good. not the worst, but not our next guy. He may be here for another year or 2, but he cannot play like this early in games and stay in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yep - we saw that front and center.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Umm...

"That said, I can state that Trevor can take a lot more punishment than his 225lbs rail thin frame would otherwise suggest."

That rail thin comment I made was due to the height. Height does matter for weight for weight will look different.