1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Oct 29, 2023.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Trevor Lawrence was pressured all day....how come He didn't get hurt....how come He scored??. Could it just be He's a better Qb right now. Almost every Qb we have faced has had as much pressure, or more caused to them....why are they still scoring....they aren't getting anymore time on average????

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    As I started to read the OP post I thought of David Carr right away, just go destroyed but I also think KP might not be durable. Even last year he always seemed to take hits harder than what they appeared so I wonder if he is just not a durable QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

With respect to Kenny, he isn't in the same universe as Trevor Lawrence... at all. Now, I cannot say why Trevor didn't get hurt for injuries require a greater degree of optics to understand. That said, I can state that Trevor can take a lot more punishment than his 225lbs rail thin frame would otherwise suggest.

In all, Trevor has been sacked 19 times while Kenny has been sacked... the same amount. The next stat would be hits but I cannot seem to find that at the moment. That said, given how many pressures both our OTs have given up all season... it wouldn't shock me if Kenny has been getting beaten up a lot more than Lawrence has.

4. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    My initial thought was I did not want the Steelers reaching for a QB. I wanted them to build the O-Line with Mason or whomever they decided to start at QB. If that didn't work out then if we drafted a QB a year or two out we hopefully would have had the protection needed for a young QB. I can't help think of how the Browns drafted Couch or the Texans drafted David Carr and both were beaten senseless as both were number 1 picks by expansion teams. Couch had a lot of promise as a young QB, but was someone frighted behind the lack of protection he had. I was glad Pittsburgh got Pickett when they did, but I just didn't want them to reach.

5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Steelers are still rebuilding, but you want to see progress, which is not the case. ARII made two good hires in Khan and Weidl. The brain trust needs to do the same with a new OC and possibly HC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Because they called a penalty on the one play he remotely was pancaked on. Also, the amount of holding they let go was kind of ridiculous. They found the one thing that worked and they went to that well over and over. If Minka is on the field they rotate him over to take that away or he baits him by himself.

They scored 1 TD and 3 FGs. Pittsburgh scored 1 TD and should have been 2 FGs. Shows you what a fine line these teams walk to score points.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Unfortunately, I feel the team will ride with Pickett until the bitter end, and a couple years down the road they will draft a replacement. Meanwhile,
    Will Levis of the Titans threw for 4 TDs in his NFL debut...in an offense that prioritizes the run game...has Pickett ever thrown for 4 TDs in a game?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    IDK but it is inexcusable that he was able to walk off the field today. After what they did to KP the next possession should have been the end of him. We just let them slam our guy and ****%n stand there. Late and high is the answer to that or we will never get any respect. We got bullied and didn’t respond.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Here are some advanced quarterback stats. https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

You can see the numbers at this link. They haven't been updated with today's numbers included, but it tells you the number of games played and breaks down a lot of information.

Here is a very important thing I get from these numbers.

Pickett has about an average time before he throws the ball or is pressured, and he has been knocked down and hurried about as much as anyone. The thing that jumps off the page to me is that he has faced about as few blitzes as any quarterback. That means he is dealing with an average time to throw or be hurried, but because he is facing less blitzes he is under that pressure with fewer rushers coming at him. That also means that his average time to throw is average, his blitzed rate is very low, and that means that teams are getting all that pressure on him rushing only 4 most of the time. Because defenses get pressure on him only rushing 4, he is also facing more people in coverage from a percentage standpoint than any other quarterback.

Because he is pressured so often with less rushers, he has done a very good job of not taking sacks and his interception rate is very good.

I think there are a lot of positive things when you really dive into the numbers and you understand how bad the offensive system he plays in actually is.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Didn't we have an OC in Haley that was better than MC? Whoever was responsible for getting rid of Haley and hiring our current train wreck is the one that needs to go. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm finding Meyer as a huge problem. When Dotson and Green suddenly are playing respectable football I have to look at Meyer and figure out why he didn't get this Kinda production from those two and the line's issues still persist.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    What you profess is exactly what the Steelers business model has been and currently is. JMO>

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He’s already gone

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s not the line. It’s the offensive philosophy. These guys don’t stand a chance in this offense. None of them. Gotta get rid of Canada first and foremost.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I just thought the HC was responsible for who was on his staff. My bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We all know that Ben ran Haley off.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    better coordinator, better receiver routes; more open receivers, (Minkah and Wallace out helped Lawrence)

better running game. Its like Lawrence has an AK-47 and KP has a 22 (that keeps jamming).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Haley is responsible for getting rid of Haley….and Ben didn’t help.

19. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    IIRC, I found it hilarious that after getting destroyed by Jax in the playoff game that we got rid of our OC (Haley) for scoring over 40 points but kept the DC for giving up more. Doesn't seem anything has improved since then. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    The fool who hired these crap OCs is the problem. My money that fool is the HC as I'm sure he gets 100% of the decision for people on his staff.

21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Both are playing in different systems that better suit what they do.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He does not.

23. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Ya, that was another comical decision under Tomlin. Keep the dude who gave up >40 points, get rid of the guy who scored 40 points.

24. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Can you prove that somehow?

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Can you?

Tomlin and Kahn can hire assistants within a very limited coaching budget that Rooney sets. The Steelers have one of the lowest assistant coaches salaries cumulatively in the league.