1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett Thoughts

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Maybe this is my chicken little coming out but with our Oline maybe not being exactly the 93 Cowboys...I am starting to get concerned with Kenny Ps health.

I think the modern rules have helped QBs but its still football and these athletes are some of the strongest in the world. Even Josh Allen and Big Ben got injured so I get it but maybe I am over reacting.

Is Canada slowly killing him with what he asks?

Thoughts?

2. WC459

WC459 Active Member

Oct 22, 2019
    The offensive line is awful.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Pickett can win big in the NFL. He’s way down the list of problems we need to address…..if he doesn’t get killed first.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bingo, unless this changes no QB or rb has a chance to succeed.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Not sure he’s the QB of the future, but I’d draft OL before QB right now. The OL is a train wreck.

• Agree Agree x 9
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I mean.. having two turnstiles at bookend tackles do not assist... at all. I used to think it was just mainly a Dan Moore problem in 2023 but the past three games have also illustrated a Chuks issue as well. Worst of all, either Broderick Jones still isn't fully grasping the play book or both Tomlin and Canada really believe that Dan Moore is just simply the better option; something I simply do not see in any of my All 22 studies of each game.

If there is one major silver lining, Broderick was finally used in tackle eligible plays. I purposed he be introduced in this manner way back after he was selected to ease him into the NFL Speed. However, given how he does have an NFL start under his belt, against a division rival no less, I expected more of such plays being called. No such luck.

Mason Cole some of you may be asking?! He is going bye bye come 2024 anyways... so any further criticism of him is wasted on the premise he is on borrowed time anyway. Meyer isn't entirely blameless in all of this for it even takes Cole a bye week to get better (for whatever reason). That said, he has been given a really bad hand.... sans Semualo and Broderick Jones.

Other than those two, the rest of the Offensive Line has been either bad to horrible all season. Never mind CB help in FA... acquire some damn Offensive Lineman!! :beg:

• Like Like x 3
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

More like Offensively Offensive

Only major bright spot has been Issac Seumalo. He did have a rough go in the first three weeks but has since settled down. Broderick is fine as well. The rest of the unit needs a major overhaul...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chinchilla

Dec 21, 2019
    Hopefully the Oline becomes a priority then next year. Khan and his group also seems to be aggressive so maybe it will not be a 5 year plan.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Hopefully Kahn, Weidl and AR II will also overrule Tomlin upon hiring an Offensive Coordinator... from outside the Organization. Should Tomlin not like it?! Too damn bad..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We can hope!

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Need to draft lineman nothing else matters. Maybe a new line coach. Can’t blame Kenny until that’s fixed. Yes he’s sucks but still clutch at times

12. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
  13. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    What about a new oline coach. The players often seem confused or out of position. Is it skill, scheme, or poor play calling?

14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    How about opening up the OL position
    Competition after this short week. Lets see what the
    Other guys have to offer. Cole can't even make the snap back to the QB
    In the shot gun. Open up the positions, can't hurt.

15. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Two words: Andrew Luck.

Not saying KP is nearly as talented as he was, but his o-line ended his career.

And two more words: David Carr.

Again nowhere near as talented but that guy never had a chance in the NFL because of that line, he still may never have amounted to anything but he never had a shot.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    There is NOWAY possible to give a good evaluation of any QB we have with this high school OC and our offensive line play. Not even a HOF qb would be successful.

We can’t expect our Defense to keep us in every game with how often they are on the field and the short field they are dealt because of 3 and outs and poor punting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Are we absolutely 100% sure that MT is the reason that Canada is still the OC and that he is the one driving the promotion of internal candidates over better qualified alternatives?

Im not sure that’s the case at all. By all accounts he pursued Flores during the 2022 offseason, Flores is a strong personality with a big profile in the league. MT has 100% job security and he should have no fear of bringing in proven coaches to make his team better. It makes no sense that he would be pulling for underwhelming candidates like Matt Canada. That could only hurt him in the long term

None of us truly know the dynamics within the front office and the level to which ownership interferes but I can’t understand their hiring strategy in recent years. It’s not giving them the best chance on the field and the cost of a proven and competent coaching staff is a pittance in comparison to playing staff. Why would you not do everything you can to give yourself the best chance of winning? It’s baffling

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Kenny has things he definitely needs to work on, but it's tough to get a real read on how far along he'd be with a solid offensive line and a competent offensive coordinator. The effort to give an aging superstar in Ben more weapons instead of rebuilding the offensive line starting five years ago was fool's gold. This organization needs to have a come to Jesus meeting about their methods and practices regarding hiring of assistants and coordinators. They aren't doing their due diligence looking outside the organization and the loyalty they show by promoting from within has led to a steady stream of mediocrity. That should be completely unacceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Jags had 9 pressures on qb … if you get around 10 hits/pressures your qb is gonna get injured.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  20. JKLTO

JKLTO Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2023
    An average to below average QB, at best. Maybe with a competent coach and coordinator, he could be an occasionally above average QB - but even then, probably not consistently.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If the current issue is not being critiqued, it is being heavily suppressed. That said, I haven't forgotten what I stared about all of this. I wouldn't rule out AR IIs involvement in any of this either. He is the one who is writing the checks so I would expect him to at least have some say.

Not in the same vein as Jerry Jones of course.

22. Chinchilla

Dec 21, 2019
    I remember Steve Spurrier @ Washington having a QB out of Tulane Patrick Ramsey

Steve had these long developing plays that with a little time the WR would get separation as everyone probably remembered from Florida.

Well Patrick got beat up at the next level and like Carr was sacked so often to wait for these plays to develop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    But why? Is it really the Oline or is it coaching? Dan Moore apparently sucks. We have his replacement riding the bench though. Perhaps we should see if his replacement can get it done.
    Philly has a stacked Oline that we poached from, yet he sucks here. Why is that?

I've said it so many times. Mike Shanahan always had one of the best running games in the league. It didn't matter who his RB or OL was. Whatever he did, it allowed them to succeed. If he can do it, so can Tomlin.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who

25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hahahahahahaha! Wrong thread

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4