1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This board is hysterical - No criticism of Haley at all

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dick Shiner, Dec 23, 2012.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ok I am the President of the I love Todd Haley club. So coming from me this should mean something. Todd Haley has put together some really stupid gameplans a few times this year. Today is a PRIME example of it. Our offense is SO ridiculously predictable it aint even funny! Run, Run, Pass, Run, Run, Pass ALL......DAY..... LONG! And not only is it Run, Run, Pass but I can get more specific! Run up the middle, Run up the middle, Pass to your first read. However I will say this. Until Ben exhibits an intellectual approach to the game I believe this is what's gonna keep happening. If I were Haley I would say this "Ok Ben. You want me to loosen the reigns? Well get in the filmroom and learn to read a defense, break it down, and exploit it all game long. THEN we will open up the playbook a little more and have a little more of a downfield gameplan." Yes Haley has to get some blame but also Haley can't help the fact that Tomlin wants to embarrass Mendy as well so really his 1st string back is on the bench for most of the game. But as far as the predictable nature of his play calling. Yes. It needs to evolve for sure. I don't put Cleveland on him. Belichik couldn't have won that game with his backs fumbling like that.

2. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    BA was only our OC for one Super Bowl victory.

3. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

my bad, Whiz was cowhers OC in the Seattle SB

4. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

you can't really do much in the middle of the season, or the end either. pretty much have to ride it out and do whatever it is your going to do in the off season. that is, if Tomlin really is making these decisions.

5. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    So they showed a stat that we lead the league in scoring in the final two minutes of the half (or something to that effect). What does that mean, exactly? That Haley's game plan is holding our offense back, and that it's only effective when we're in the 2-minute drill with Ben calling the shots? Or that Ben can't play under normal circumstances and has to thrive on chaos?

I think that one falls on the OC. When Haley loosens up and puts the game in Ben's control good things can happen. Two Dwyer draw plays and a quick screen to Rainey is an all-too-common occurance with our offense.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think it must mean we have a great 2 minute offense. The thing that kills me about teams with great 2 minute offenses is why do they not come out and start the game in a 2 minute offense and get up on teams early? Anyone else ever wondered that?

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    We can agree that Brady does not blame the play calling, because their play calling is better! Been saying for a while now, this type of offense we will keep all games close, even with week teams. We will never blow teams out like the patriots with this style, as we are not as disciplined team for this style of offense as the patriots are.

So we need to have an offense style that is suitable for the types of team we have. Right know we have a long way to go.

8. psycho ward

psycho ward Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Haley may be gone this off season if the Cards can Whiz. Rumor is They may want him.

9. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Thank you, Mrs. Haley.

10. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Maybe the conversation was "Ok Ben, Quick read" and after they said that Ben stopped paying attention deciding to pump fake and hold the ball a really long time in hopes of seeing someone completely open.

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Exactly and your original post was 100% dead on !

12. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Ummm, pretty sure running the ball on the first two drives of every series and gaining 3 yards combined will win ZERO GAMES! Haley needs to move on cuz this house has no bed for him

13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You've got Tomlin mistaken for Bill Belichick. Tomlin defers TOTALLY to his coordinators and it doesn't seem that he has any input into the gameplan whatsoever. I believe that's why Rooney hired Haley. He already had a "head coach" of the defense in DL and wanted a "head coach" of the offense in Todd Haley because they don't believe Tomlin is that adept at developing a schematic gameplan. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't buy that Jack, someone made an excellent thread the other day that maybe Tomlin has put his stamp on the defense, low risk low reward. Where has this defenses aggression gone? Today's game not withstanding. Maybe he has imposed himself on DL's game plan more then we have thought.

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the defense is still 100% LeBeau's. This is not a 4-3, Tampa 2 defense. LeBeau's schemes were the same but we didn't get enough pressure from the LBers this year. Their play was sub-par. On the other hand, the corners and safeties did a very nice job overall and I attribute that to Carnell Lake's coaching, who I think would make a good DC by the way. But I do truly believe that one of Tomlin's deficiencies is schematic coaching and gameplanning. In fact, when he was first hired he said that he was a "fundamentalist as opposed to scheme" which is to say if we block and tackle better than the other guys, scheme and strategy is less important. I happen to disagree with that philosophy. Why does fundamental football and schematic strategy have to be mutually exclusive?

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Going 4-3 is a total overhaul, wouldn't expect him to do that but the lack of aggression makes me wonder if he's had input in other ways, play it safe, don't get burned. The fact is, none of us knows how much or how little input Tomlin dictates.

17. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think we're DEFINITELY playing it safe. I mean look how far our corners are playing off. Also look how many times we have seen James Harrison in coverage this year.

18. polyjb

polyjb Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    At least they finally moved the corners up for a good portion of the game today. Well done, that only took 15 games to do.

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Well man you have to adapt in this league ya know? LOL.

20. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    Another post dead on. One thing's for sure BA definitely got the last laugh and Rooney and Tomlin are looking like idiots right now for firing him.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If I recall, Tomlin didn't want to fire him, in fact, he said BA is my OC, then Rooney stepped in. In any rate, deeming a guy a failure after once season is a bit premature. I hated todays game calling, and haven't been all warm and fuzzy about other games too but he needs more then one season before the hiring can be declared a failure.

22. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    A failure maybe not but certainly not the savior so many on here thought he would be. I know most don't want to admit it but the real problem is our QB. He's not playing smart football regardless of the plays being called and he's not protecting the football. Turnovers are one thing but he's turning the ball over at the worse possible time. His decision making the last half of the season is something you'd expect to see from a rookie vs a 2 time SB champ.

23. mrtnalvrz

mrtnalvrz Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012

Dude, without Ben we wouldn't even have 7 wins. Where were you the first half of the season? Our season went to the drain as soon as Ben got hurt and after that he has not been able to perform the same, but look at his stats before that horrible game VS KC: 3rd down conversion rate, QB rate, INTs, etc. Even with Haley's failed running game and his "dink and dunk" scheme our ELITE QB was putting great numbers. All these people complaining about Ben and without him we would probably be even below the Browns.

24. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Unforced turnovers lack of confidence, injuries and underacheving players are the reasons we suck this year. Half on the players and the other on the coaches. Lets flog them all and try again next year.

25. mrtnalvrz

mrtnalvrz Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012

Try to play smart Football while running for your life because your stupid patched O-Line cannot stop a bunny and on top of all you were told that your lesions could kill you by your rib puncturing your veins. You guys don't realize that since the lesion VS KC Ben is not the same? He is human, and he carried the team the first games while the Defense was allowing 30+ points per game. Not defending him, his mistakes cost the Playoffs, the same as the stupid defensive losing to Tennessee and Oakland on the first half of the season did.

You guys are hilarious.