1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should they move TJ around like they do with parsons?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 23, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Kirk got it done!!!

Nice!! Well done and well earned!!! :applaud:

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  3. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    I have heard this argument before, but feel like you would put your best talent in whichever side gives you the most likelihood for sacks. In other words, if Garrett would get more sacks on the other side because it’s “easier”, why wouldn’t the browns have moved him over?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh no My Friend. That makes way too much sense. Not quite, but almost like a Voice of Reason. :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Just reviewed garrets 16 sacks from last year.

He is a pretty good football player I wish people would stop saying he sucks haha.

with that being said he got some sacks from the other side too. 1 from rushing the middle. Watt has rushed the middle too along with the other side. Almost all Garret sacks were against 1v1 and he just blew around the tackle, still he’s really good.

people say parsons can play all positions. This is a lie, he just pass rushes from the left, right and middle. Watt and Garret do this just much less.

Watt can actually defend the middle unlike the other 2 guys AND he’s super clutch. That’s what sets him apart from all the others.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    When you combine top of line physical qualities with a decent IQ (and that is big with Watt) you have a great football player. Smarts and Braun, I'll take 22 of them;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don’t think BBH was suggesting a full on position change, just lining him up in some different places now and then.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup looks like Watt wants to try the same. Teams are chipping him all day long now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Voice of Reason

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2019
    To that point, I felt like the Rams really amped up the support of their RT. It was more noticeable how many times a RB, TE, or WR was chipping Watt. In some instances, it was a combo of chips plus the RT.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup I was glued to him lol so much attention to watt hence why others were bringing the heat. Watt wants those sacks though lol

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't stand Garrett. I can't stand the racism He projected, and got away with....without even an apology. I have nothing against Parsons....just that people saying He looks more athletic somehow makes Him better. When everything shows He's not... Reminds Me of another argument on here. LoL

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I just think that with the attention he brings primarily from the one side and still impacts the game is way better than having to move him around to "Find a favorable match-up". Teams know where and when he's coming and he still puts up the numbers! Plus what he gives you from pass dropping FF and INTs.

He's definitely not as good on the other side, but I feel he's played enough to manage it if it makes them screw some blocking schemes, because they prepped opposite side exclusively.

• Like Like x 3
  13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Some compared TJ to LT and it’s not even close lol. LT has to be the greatest ever. He was insanely fast and crazy strong rag dolling people it wasn’t fair.

TJ would probably be the closest to LT as far as a disruptor in todays nfl.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    TJ also isn't high on coke while preforming. LoL

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think anyone here is saying he sucks though.

It's the pedestal they're throwing those guys on above TJ, when TJ is dropping into pass coverage some percentage and still throwing up better numbers than them that most have an issue with.

Anytime they show rankings TJ leads in almost every defensive category and by the eyeball test, He is winning games for the team by making key plays. These analysts are talking 1st ballot HoF for Garrett and ranking TJ below him, which is just bonkers at this point!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well... some people don't like Myles Garrett, namely many of SteelersNation as a whole, and therefore judge him based off nothing but what he does against the Steelers. If the optics were only so simple to analyze.

It is important to win your division via a better in division record. However, the reason Pittsburgh has been able to handle Myles Garrett better than either Baltimore or Cincy is that Mike Tomlin has shown to go out of his way to do whatever it takes to minimize Garrett as much as possible... at the expense of another Cleveland Browns defender having success against the team. The Week 2 matchup had Garrett at Zero sacks but that was all apart of the game plan... and even then, Garrett had a helluva lot of pressures and hits on Kenny!! :eek:

As me and you have discussed before, Myles Garrett vs T.J. Watt is no different than Minkah Fitzpatrick vs Derwin James. Both are incredible players. Just comes down to preference. For me, T.J. Watt is the more complete playmaker whereas Myles Garrett was genetically built for the sole purpose of all out attack to the Quarterback.

I just want T.J. Watt to win it again so the National Media can shut up about the debate for good!! :eek::lolol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    IMG_8557.jpeg

All natural Garret lol

18. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I think Refs need to call holding on the oline like they do pass intereference and unnessary roughness penalties. It is reficulous and when your defense is built around QB pressure and to have it neutralized when the refs don’t call those is very frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Myles Garrett to me is like the Terrell Owens of Edge players. He has a freak build and he is Uber athletic. He is highly productive but he leaves you wanting more. There just seems to be something missing. It’s like he pretends to be a selfless player and putting the team above himself but what he is really about is all about himself.

To me Watt does more with less. What is a fantastic athlete as well but probably not as gifted as Garrett is in that way but to me Watt gets everything out of his talent, plays with an intensity that is unmatched and absolutely puts the team above himself. The game altering plays with Watt are unmatched as well.

I just don’t see how Garrett is continually esteemed as better than Watt by the Media Pundits. The other thing is I lost a lot of respect for Garrett over the Rudolph situation and then he tried to blame it on race.

Perfect example of Garrett is during this last game where he did play very well and had game changing plays … he went over to the bench after the defense came off the field and put a dog chain on. I get it they probably pass that around after making a big play but it was the way he pranced around on the sideline looking for adulation from other players and even oooking up into the stands. I don’t know it just annoyed me. Meanwhile Watt has those plays all the time. He celebrates with his teammates on the field then comes off and goes to the bench and gets on the iPad to prepare for the next series or perhaps he is quietly observing the replay.

I feel like the fact JJ Watt had three DPOY plays against TJ a little and the national media gets a little tired of the Watt name. They seem so anxious to promote Garrett and Parsons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Without Heyward our interior would not ass rush s pretty insignificant.

21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I’m not buying what you’re selling. You sound like the PFF folks or a Garrett fan.

22. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Pretty confident Highsmith leads (he was leading) the league in QB pressures. I guess that's disappearing for some.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The RT isn’t really inferior anymore to the LT as so many elite edge players rush from the right side now.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The other thing is Watt gets doubled way more. Highsmith should be getting more sacks as a result. Pressures are nice but they aren’t a sack. Win rate is a silly metric to justify these third party evaluations relevance like PFF or Next Gen stats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. MojoUW

MojoUW Member

Aug 16, 2023
    Let Watt do whatever he wants. Stay on a side. Move. Whatever. He should be tasked with playing how he is most comfortable. It has long been the hallmark of Steelers defensive approach - bend the rules for stars to make an impact. Heck, they used to play 10 guys with assignments and then Polamalu just did whatever.

Also....I keep hearing how Watt is somehow "less" of an athlete. The testing numbers don't seem to bear that out.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/myles-garrett/32004741-5252-8896-2c1d-5aafec7d47e8
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/t.j.-watt/32005741-5458-7616-6d9a-681b6f6e278d

I guess Garrett doing it about 20 pounds heavier is fairly impressive and Garrett likely has a bit more "explosion" as evidenced by his high jump number. But in movement and "Speed"; they are about the same. Garrett looks more impressive because he looks like he is hewn out of a block of stone and guys his size don't usually move like that -- hence the attraction to Bud Dupree for instance.

But Watt is a flat-out top end athlete. I was totally shocked when his testing numbers came out. I did not think he would test that good, but he did, and I bet he still does.

• Like Like x 2