1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Chucktownsteeler, May 8, 2023.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    And thats if he's the prohibitive top QB by November. We've seen guys look that that top dawg in the off-season end up coming back another year, for whatever reason. Guys rise and others fall.

Just scoping the 2024 Mock Simulators to waste time this morning. Seems like another potentially deep DT class worth exploring. I think we're getting back to the point where BPA is the best option and if DT is the BPA, you take him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Unless Caleb Williams falls off into the abyss, he is going to be the favorite until further notice. While he is not my favorite cup of tea, Lincoln Riley has proven to me that he can not just allow but maximize the potential of his QBs. Caleb's overall physical skillset is limitless sans his height; Riley now having an endless array of options to go with in terms of play calling.

To your second point, the DT Class couldn't have come at a better time. For me, Maason Smith from LSU would be a hand in glove fit for the team. Not saying Keeanu Benton has nor shown me anything (he has) but the rest of the room definitley could use a tune up as Benton, Heyward, Leal (I think?!?!) and Ogunjobi are really, more or less, what the Steelers have heading into 2024. Going to need some more high level depth there; doubly so if Leal cannot show much of anything this season.

3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    There was a QB under the tutelage of Lincoln Riley that was highly thought of heading into his Jr. Year and fell off a cliff and was benched only to transfer to South Carolina. Lincoln has a great track record of getting guys into the league, but even he had his misses. Caleb may be that guy that everything thinks he is and ends up with Arizona, but there's always a chance he won't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As you said, Lincoln has far more hits than misses. Spencer Rattler could be in for a bounce back season though I also am in the opinion of believing it when I see it. Caleb though is nothing like Spencer for Caleb's overall skillset far exceeds Spencer's in every way possible; doubly so in terms of the most important qualities.

5. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    0-17 should get us Williams, except we're fighting the two headed monster from Arizona.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    ... Yep!!

@S.T.D

Need a Defensive Lineman. Like... now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    After three games my assessment of our needs has changed.

1. OC
    2. Pass Game Coordinator
    3. Run Game Coordinator
    4. DC

1. CB
    2. DL
    3. C
    4. OT
    5. S

• Like Like x 1
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think on defense we could stand to get another CB for sure (inside or out) and a S opposite Minkah (high S/FS type). Our DL is young and promising, so I am not in a huge hurry to snag one until we are closer to a Heyward retirement. An ILB opposite Holcomb could be good, but we have a deep group rn, so it would have to be a higher pick.

Offensively our OL has been bad, but we have talent there. I don't think there are many HUGE needs on that side of the ball. I would assume we look at another WR as a flier in the mid rounds.

9. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/lists/amarius-mims-jeremiah-trotter-2024-nfl-draft-steelers/

Hard to buy OT in the 1st but it's not inconceivable. I'm not in love with either returning OT to man RT (Moore or Chuks). I still lean more towards OC and ILB early.

10. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Just throwing in on the conversations already in progress.

This isn't looking like a good draft to go Center and expect greatness. There is no Pouncey in this class so far. Not by anything I have personally watched, OR by any of the draft sites I like to read every couple weeks or so. May be better off making another 'Kahn Artist' FA splash move at Center.

Staying OL, PSU OT Fashanu is my current leader in the clubhouse for drafting any OL.

For defensive front7 prospects, Clemson seems to be the school everybody is looking at currently. Several 1st and 2nd round rated defenders in this class at Clemson. Although, Maason Smith from LSU is the more position flexible super-uber-defender du-jour.

Defensive secondary. I am a believer in experience beats youth in the secondary. More snaps played is better. One under the radar prospect to watch is MTSU Senior Safety Tra Fluellen. Same program that produced Reed Blankenship who also went under the radar and now is starting for the Eagles.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Sedrick Van Pran.

Zach Fraizer.

Bryce Foster.

This is, more or less, the 2024 Center Class. Everyone else is essentially much unknown at this point.

12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm more keen on the idea of moving Daniels to C and drafting RG.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As much as I would love this to happen, I very much doubt it will happen. The entire line has been bad but Daniels has been the lone bright spot. Mason Cole is a different story all together.

Now that I think about it, James Daniels has not taken snaps at Center during Training Camp this season.

14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I will agree that he's been the bright spot on an underwhelming OL. I've seen media say that Daniels is actually a better C than G. Ideally I think Van Pran is the guy to try and get, just don't think he'd be available in the 2nd and teams don't seem to reach for IOL in the first these days. Which is why I proposed the idea of sliding Daniels to C in 24 and grabbing our RG where there's likely far more options to choose from.

15. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    They passed on Humphrey and Linderbaum, so I don't see them drafting a center in the 1st or 2nd round next year either

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

That was with Colbert. This is with Kahn/Weidl. Hell, prior to Broderick Jones, Kevin Colbert never selected an Offensive Tackle in his entire tenure; over a generation. Post Colbert, seems as if that philosophy is changing. Beefing up the trenches is key; further evidenced by the fact that Mason Cole is likely next on the chopping block.

Next year's draft has only three Centers worthy of Top 50 Consideration. The rest are essentially either depth based or very scheme specific. Kahn and Weidl already showed us they will attack a weakness as evident via Dan Moore Jr. I expect them to do so again.

If not Center?! Oh most definitely Corner.. again. That said, @S.T.D will be very happy about the fact. Depending on who they select, I will join him in celebration!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I think the offensive line is still their biggest weakness, but they did take a step in the right direction with Kahn taking Jones in the 1st round. They definitely need a center more than anything IMO, because Cole is washed, not that he was ever that good to begin with. Then corner and ILB, maybe QB too.

18. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I know the Steelers have specific needs, but I've always agreed with Chuck Noll's philosophy that you take the best athlete available regardless of position

19. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    In today's NFL you draft QBs until you find the franchise QB. Pickett isn't it. Then you find an OC that knows how to coach a franchise QB. Average QB with below average OC gives you a below average team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    We don't really know if Pickett is a franchise QB or not at this time. And we probably won't until they get an offensive line that can block, and an OC that knows what in what in the hell he's doing out there. No QB would look good with that Oline and OC. Having said that, Pickett does look way off this season so far, after showing so much promise in the 2nd half of last season. The things that I liked about him the most last year was his poise and confidence, but this year that seems to have vanished

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I agree wholeheartedly.

That said, will Kahn/Weidl believe the likes of Sedrick Van Pran from Georiga is worth thar selection?! Nor saying he isn't for he is the best Center in the class.... hands down. That all said, where Pittsburgh picks will decide whether or not he is selected.

22. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Yes, you don't know, but his performance and skillset are pointing towards not a franchise QB. He is not making other players around him better. Pickett's decision making is not at a franchise QB level. I agree the OC is a problem, but there are few QBs that become franchise QBs, who weren't projected as a franchise QB.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    There's definitely a measure of doubt with Pickett, I didn't really like the pick myself. There's usually a very good reason why 5 other teams that were desperate for a QB passed on him. I think they could've gotten him in the 2nd or even 3rd round, and got Linderbaum in the 1st. But I think Pickett could be a good starting QB if he had a better cast around him. We'll see

24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree, QBs need good OLs, talented WRs, a decent running games, and a good OC.

25. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    C, Cb, and an impact player at Lb are all needs.

Hopefully, Trice will come in like an extra draft pick with a year full of studying next year.

But, our DL needs rebuilt. Larry O can't stay healthy anymore and he'll be on the wrong side of 30. Cam will be 35. I have little faith in Leal or Loudermilk.

Gotta rebuild around Benton, he's a stud. Seems like everyone on this board liked him coming out.

This looks lika really weak DT class though. Weakest in a while.

• Like Like x 1