1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of Woodley

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ballhair, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Bingo. You think other teams won't have noticed the drop off in his play? The only point where this would happen in a way beneficial to us would be if a team were able to provide something that the Steelers currently can't. Kind of like what Hack keeps saying about Rolando McClain, I guess.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    in the 70's we had good players too. woodley hasen't played at a pro bowl level for the last two years. yea, i guess we can scare these teams with him and troy, while we pay them tons of money to play 4 games a year because of what they did in the past. best pass rusher my azz. you have to play to be considered that.:cool:

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's been two seasons now glenn. when do you finally say enough? 18 friggin games in two years he's not been the best pass rusher, yet he collects 8 mil. a year. please. our highest paid players need to be on the field. woodley hasen't been. if this 7-7 team is going to improve in the future you have to have these players on the field. he's lived on the coatails of james harrison.:cool:

4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If I remember correctly Bettis was the Rams' version of Woodley. He was a player that had fallen out of favor for whatever reason and was shipped out. The rest is history. I've been critical of Woodley's nagging injuries too but wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of history in this one. It's too soon to give up on him.

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think the Steelers held a gun to the head of the Rams organization,
    the Rams chose to go in another direction, I am proposing the same with Woodley.
    There is a sucker born every minute!

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    To be fair Mac, this team doesn't seem to put a lot of emphasis on pressuring the QB anymore, they seem to be all about low risk low reward now. Add to the amount of time missed with injuries it's no wonder his sack total is low.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    exactly. why pay 8 mil a year then? thats what i'm trying to say. is he really worth it?:cool:

9. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Where are you getting he has missed 18 games in 2 in the last 2 years? I'm only seeing 10 games missed as of now. Just curious...

10. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    In the past, it has seemed to me that Woodley has played his best football at the end of seasons. Why that is, I'm not sure. Should his level of play be better over the full course of a season? I'd certainly like to see that.

However, I think Woodley is a very good OLB even when he is not playing at his best level, and I'd hate to lose him.

I'm personally hoping for another Woodley explosion at this year's end!

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes... he would start slow because he would come in camp out of shape and pull a hammy....he evetually played himself into shape as the year went on and would finish the year strong...

You can get away with it when you are young, but as you get older you can't do that anymore...

he needs to rededicate himsel fin the offseason each year from now on....

12. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If what you say is true, then I am with you--he should be more dedicated in the off-season. However, I just don't know enough to be able to say with certainty that his off-season habits have resulted in lackluster play and injuries. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just simply don't know.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    To be honest, I don't really care what the players make, I don't get caught up in that too much. They seem to find a way to keep the ones they want now, not like in the 90's when they had massive free agency defections every season and couldn't keep any of them. And no matter how much we are under the cap, we still wont ever make a big splash signing, not our style. I think if Woodley can find a way to stay healthy, that he can be a difference maker.

14. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  15. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Its not as much about cutting Woodley as it is absorbing the cap hit.

HACK

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep. Some people forget (or don't really know) that when you cut a player, you have to eat the remainder of his prorated signing bonus. In Woodley's case, that's a massive hit because we restructured his contract last offseason and turned his 2012 salary into a bonus. I don't have the number handy, but it's enough to make him effectively un-tradable and un-cuttable. That's the ugly side of restructuring.

So, for those thinking that if we get rid of the guy we suddenly free up $8 Mil in cap space, think again. We we probably see a HUGE increase in our 2013 payroll (for cap purposes) if we cut or trade him.

By the way, I'm certainly not lamenting that we can't cut or trade him, I'm just commenting on the economics.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not even talking about cutting him, but a trade would be nice. he could be coupled with someone else. for a player and a draft pick. he has some value as a 4-3 end to someone hopefully. how about him and colon. lose about 14 mil..:cool:

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank goodness somebody's on board.

19. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow, A lot of you guys just won't take off the glasses, talk about being dumb. Every since Woodley signed that big contract he hasn't done **** on the field. He gets injured because he is fat and out of shape. Like a lot of players do. once the big contract is signed they go into hibernation. The reason we suck this year is because we have no pass rush. Troy P will never be the player he once was. Its time to move on. Big Ben will never be any better than he is right now. If thats good enough for you fine. Me, I'm disappointed. As far as Woodley goes. you can get a guy and pay him 1/10 of what Woodley makes and get the same output. Do you really think that Woodley is going to get "healthy" again and be an all pro? This team needs to rebuild and say goodbye to all these high paid superstars who spend most of their time on the sidelines injured. I appreciate what they have done in the past but that is not helping us now. Just my 2 cents.

20. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    of course if we don't think woodley can regain his power by shedding fat with a good conditioning coach , we have to trade him immediately

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    So, I did a little bit of "back of the envelope" number crunching. This is probably a little bit off since I am not 100% up on the cap rules for the new CBA, but the magnitude of the cap hit is in this ballpark: Woodley signed a 5 year extension in 2011 with a 13 Million signing bonus. If we cut OR trade him before June, 3/5 of the 13 Million hits our cap in 2013 = 7.8 million. In 2012 we also converted 8.2 million of salary into a bonus (The dreaded restructuring). 3 years of that would be accelerated forward = 6.15 Million.

This means that if we cut OR trade him, we take about a 14.3 Million cap hit in "dead" money. Remember, under the rules we would take the entire cap hit for his bonuses already paid out - NOT the team that acquires him via trade. The acquiring team would only be on the hook for future salary and bonuses not yet paid (roster bonus, etc).

If we cut of trade him after June 1, we could spread the dead money out, but we still eat it all - just not all in 2013.

I don't have Woodley's 2013 cap number in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot less than 14 Million. He is effectively untradeable and uncuttable. I agree that he has fattened up and become less effective over the past 2 years, but we've made our bed and have to lie in it. He will be a Steeler for the next 2 years - minimum - so get used to it.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm pretty certain that trading these guys would INCREASE our salary in 2013 for cap purposes because of the dead money.

23. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    QUOTE=Romans5:8;116355]In the past, it has seemed to me that Woodley has played his best football at the end of seasons. Why that is, I'm not sure. Should his level of play be better over the full course of a season? I'd certainly like to see that.

However, I think Woodley is a very good OLB even when he is not playing at his best level, and I'd hate to lose him.

I'm personally hoping for another Woodley explosion at this year's end![/QUOTE]

Woodley always played his best at the end of the season, because it took him that long to get in good football shape.

i still think we have a conditioning problem with this team.:cool:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yet we keep extending people and we will have to continue doing it. we have 35 people under contract and are over by 10 mil if i remember right. someone has to go. we need a team of 53+PS. where do we get that money? we are going to have to pay the piper at some point.

woodleys salary next year is 8 mil. troys is 10 mil. colon is 6.5 mil. ben is over 20 mil. this doesn't include harrisons 5+ mil. and ikes contract. these guys equal half of the salary cap of the team. 6 guys. we need to make up a team on about 60 mil. 47 guys.

this doesn't even take into account the starters we lose that won't be under contract. somebody has to go. we carried 9.5 mil in dead money last year. we lose our starting wr, our starting LT. our starting RG. our backup C. our starting CB. not to mention 3 starting RBs. our 3rd WR. our starting NT. our backup NT. 2 backup safeties. our 5th WR. 2 backup qb's. our starting ILB. 2 backup LB's. do we play with 10 guys next year? somethings got to give.:facepalm::cool:

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    This sorta reminds me of Kendrell Bell, after the steelers drafted him in the second round he was defensive rookie of the year in 2001. Injuries plauged him and after missing 9 games in 04 the team didnt renew his contract so he was picked up by the chiefs with a 45 mill contract, he played most of the regular season games there but never got back to the form he had in his early career: he lasted for 3 years of his contract but was cut after another injury kept him from playing, he had mostly knee problems during his 7 year career, but his stats with the chiefs never held up to the hype he had in his early years as a steeler, and the chiefs never got the player they paid for.....I make this comparrison because Woodley's early success has tappered of like Bell's did because of injuries.....