1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to bench Najee

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Tiggs99, Sep 19, 2023.

1. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He's Rooney's favorite. Don't think for a second that Rooney didn't have a big hand in drafting the next great Steelers RB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It should not matter what he did or was going to do his first 5 years in the league. A RB should never get a 2nd contract. They are a disposable position. The Chubb injury proves my point.

Build a great offensive line and any decent rookie can give you 4 per carry and a 1,000 plus on the season.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    To the retardation bin at Walmart?

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 2
  4. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    Of course Art had a "big hand" in drafting Najee. Anyone who doesn't realize this ain't even trying.

5. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    The Najee apologists are so out there, it's actually funny.:roflmao:

6. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    It’s funny we are even debating who is better between a FIRST RD pick and an Un drafted player. He’s not a bust like Artie Burns or Jarvis Jones but he’s on the next tier.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    He truly is, so that makes him just great! :roflmao:

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Whether or not Harris will get a second contract is irrelevant to which back should start now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    This offense is so bad from the play calling and game plan of MC to Kenny looking like he doesn’t belong to the OL playing just terrible…….Running Backs are probably the least of our problems. The whole thing sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Najee is the least of our issues.

I'm sure few more plays of Warren forgetting to chip/block rushers will change people's minds lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He showed he can do better last season. He made a glaring mistake Monday night, but that doesn't mean he can't do that part of the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Are You this dim, or do You work at it???

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    There's always room for improvement, but there are also instances where size is the determining factor.

Anyways, Najee is an issue but he's not the issue. If that makes sense?

14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    The force is strong with that one.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Clown fans are so out here too :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    Are you trying to make an assertion? :shrug:

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It’s not the only direct correlation, but it’s an ingredient of the soup.

If Najee were a player they didn’t think that they couldn’t live without they’ll slide the contract over for him to sign. But it’s looking more and more that they won’t need to draw up the papers. I think they love him and his character, but they will make the easy business decision here.

People are making it seem like this doesn’t happen.

Why did Dallas choose their back up Pollard over Zeke (other than Tony doesn’t look like a mutant made up of spare body parts from other jerks)?

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You're not getting it. In no way is a decision the Steelers will make about Harris after next season relevant to which back should start now. It is absolutely possible that he is both their best option to start right now and that he is not worth keeping at the price he might command two years from now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Absolutely possible yes. Correct = uncertain. I’m to the point of giving it a test.

RB’s are NOT like QB’s in the respect that I would not have any fears of ruining Harris’ head by making the swap.

I would hope the coaches could sort out which works better after a couple games if they can’t figure it out in practice. But with this staff I’m not sure. That is illustrated more clearing by retaining Canaduh instead of plucking the best OC they could.

Look I “get it” because I just clearly explained it wasn’t a direct connection but if they make the decision to let him go, a big part of it is because the production or impact wasn’t there for the touches and impact they were hoping for.

I also get the online and scheme are so bad that it’s hampering and if they were a too 5 unit we’d likely not be having this conversation/debate over the RBs. They knew their oline wasn’t powerful when they drafted a big strong dude with great production in college. He was maybe more beneficiary than contributor (on the field - he, by all accounts a great locker room teammate).

Maybe they didn’t realize is that the got a guy from the best program and the best coach and the best scheme and the best oline and that played just as much if not MORE of a reason for Najee’s great numbers in school and his best abilities can’t make up enough for bad coaching, scheme, teammates. Some guys however, shine for some reason in lesser situations.

It’s like in 3D when Warren gets the ball and gets a head of steam and breaks tackles. AND he actually is the one with more break away speed should he get open field. His style and skills are better working fit when the ball is in his hands. He reminds me of Darren Sproles - an underrated contributor who was more contributor that beneficiary.

I do think this staff is being stubborn with guys they plug into a roll and retain. Green, Canaduh, Harris. There have been a few more over the years.

We’ll see… I’m not dying on this hill. I just see what I see. I would dive into a pool of cheerios spelling the word WRONG a thousand times if Harris can somehow be a big part of breaking this funk. I’d love for him to be great and be retained. His other intangibles are great for any team.

And as I’ve said, 3rd down might be just his best fit and he could shine out there against those schemes.

20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Gotta feeling he starts slow, well because he can't get into a groove yet. He's barely used.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    He made a glaring mistake PLUS has not lived up to expectations his other 2 years on the team. He is a below-the-line player at a most-important position on the team AND his backup is proving superior, so there is that (as Tomlin has had to reluctantly agree with so that means Rooney does as well).

There is a hell of a lot wrong with this team, and Najee is PART of the whole ruined casserole, if you will. He may not be the PRIME reason for the ruined dish, but he sure isn't helping in being a part of the resolution either.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah Zekes contract had nothing to do with it. I see You skipped answering My questions. Of All the top 5 RB ....2 got one year contracts....one got traded, and the other two aren't up for new contract yet. So does it really look like any RBs are getting paid???
    Also like how You failed to acknowledge that now that Tony Pollard is the actual starter his Average yards per carry has dropped a whole 2 yards......Hmmm.:hmm:....wonder why that is???? Could it be .....maybe because now Defenses are focused on him when He comes in, and He's just not running on favorable passing downs???:shrug:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  23. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    Yea, the apologists always look for the realists to be crucified as wishing failure on the team; that ain't the case. I hope Najee can rebound and show why he was worth being drafted in the 1st round and go onto receive a well-earned 2nd contract, I truly hope he does. But 2 plus years into his career, it's not looking like that is a realistic expectation. Yes, he lacks the burst and the speed to knock off some decent-sized runs, but it's even more than that: He seems to tack the instincts to know where to run with the ball as well. Add it all up, and you got a RB who's career YPC is still less than 4 YPC.

Now, while it's true his isn't in the pristine position to excel, he still should produce more than he does if he was really a "prime" RB deserving of being taken in the 1st round. He just doesn't produce, period. Does anyone really think that Derrick Henry wouldn't be more productive if he was the starting RB on this team? Don't make me laugh. And the comparisons don't end there. What top 20 NFL RB would come short of a YPC of 4 in on this team?

Najee's YPC of 3.9 is his career #. Sure, not running behind the best OL, nor with the best OC running things (understatement there), but at some point, the player has to except some of the blame, especially when his backup is outperforming him. Warren just has more explosiveness, more speed and a better awareness of where to run. It doesn't take an NFL coach to see that, and even Tomlin had to admit that (meaning Rooney did), although reluctantly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

Yeah he's not getting a second contract and maybe his 5th year option is in jeopardy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Najee just doesn't seem like he's running. He's lumbering. I think he lifted too many weights in the offseason.