1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to bench Najee

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Tiggs99, Sep 19, 2023.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This 100% . I don't know why they want to do this. We need both.

2. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    We got Isaac Hayes AND Jim Brown. Hammer AND Slammer!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Didn't say that. I do feel that Warren runs with more power. And needs more playing time. Both need to be on point this season.

4. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Harris is far from a bust. Yes, Warren runs downhill quicker but Harris is valuable to us out of the backfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Harris always does that tap dancing! He is way too big to try and be a finesse runner. He needs to run like he is built. Power running back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023

Fans need to remember they are fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Look, this is kinda getting old. Let me put my 2 cents in.. Your OC is only as good as your players who run the schemes. A lot of missed execution on plays by players.
    Now about the OC, i agree his play calling is like groundhog day. That being said can the players handle more complex plays? This is a 2 way street. Us being fans, we only see the small picture. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.
    Of course you cant get rid of all your players, thus coach always an easy scapegoat. But at this point, we have seen a very bland, stagnant offense, year after year. Something’s got to change.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    You are correct … I am a fan, not an ignorant fan but a fan

• Like Like x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, he doesn't always do that tap dancing. It's as if you didn't watch the second half of last season or the third quarter last night.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I think it goes beyond Harris.

They missed on their 1st round pick in 2021 with Harris.
    They missed on their 1st round pick in 2022 with Pickett.
    They're not playing their 1st round pick in 2023 and passed up a guy that looks to be a shutdown corner.

There were two All Pro centers available in 2021 - Humphrey and Dickerson.
    There were several RBs that could have been taken in 2021 or 2022 after Harris or Pickett.
    Don't think there were any great QBs in 2022, but Pickett isn't that much better that they had to waste a 1st round pick on him and ignore other needs.
    They're not playing Jones, so why trade up for him particularly when Moore and Okorafor aren't playing worth a crap.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They didn't miss on Harris. Suggesting they take Humphrey or Dickerson that high is pure hindsight, and it ignores some very real concerns about Humphrey. Don't get me wrong. I wanted them to take him in the second round. I was pissed when they took Freiermuth. He's a good player, but that was the mistake.

It is way too early to say they missed on Pickett. I get that you are one of those folks here who had their minds made up before he was drafted, so you will rush to a judgment that fits your chosen narrative. If a team thinks the quarterback available is their guy, they have to take him. Period. End of story. Anything else is stupid. Sure, they might turn out to be wrong, but you don't ever pass on a quarterback you believe in unless you already have one.

I wanted Gonzalez. It's way too early to declare him a shutdown cornerback, but I wanted him on draft day and I still think he would have been the right choice.

That said, the logic behind taking Jones was sound. The team needs help at tackle. Moore is nothing special and Okorafor is a below-average starter. Jones was always going to take time. If you had paid attention, you would know he was considered raw coming out of college. I imagine he will be starting at some point this season or by the start of next season at the latest. If he turns out to be what just about everybody thought he was going into the draft, he will be their left tackle for a decade. Taking that and addressing cornerback later in a draft that was deep at the position made sense. It wasn't the choice I would have made, but it was a reasonable one.

12. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    I wasn't against Pickett before they picked him but I don't think he was a 1st round talent or grade and he's shown nothing to change that so far. Harris also wasn't worth a 1st round grade. It's not hindsight on either center. I wanted Humphrey too over Muth, but if you're going to overrate Pickett (not you personally) but it wasn't a reach for either of them there. Linderbaum last year was an option too. They're defense is getting older and they're wasting the prime years of some elite talent.

13. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I agree with Gonzalez…

• Like Like x 1
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    most of this yards yards came on 2 carries., Take those 2 long runs away. And then ¿???????

15. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Prime Curtis Martin, LeVeon Bell or Nicky Chubbs would have no trouble averaging near 4yds/ carry on first down with this line. Najee seems to average less than 2. Knowing where to go and how to use blocking is a skill. Bettis had it, LeVeon had it, Curtis Martin had it but Najee lacks it. He always ends up in violent collision and then seems to avoid collisions. LeVeon never seemed to get hit hard. I remember a clip where Bettis was trying to teach Willie Parker on anticipating where a Linebacker would go. Wille had speed but never developed that skill to have consistent 4 yard gains. Najee doesn’t even have speed. I am skeptical of drafting rb from football powerhouse with great OL. Give me a guy from a football program with a mediocre OL with great RB stats like Curtis Martin, LeVeon Bell etc

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh then some bumble head will accuse you of running the wheels off of him

• Like Like x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Although obviously some of us fans are wiser than some others

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Why are we taking yards away? That’s silly. We need to add attempts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You really haven’t figured it out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm on the other side for no good reason. I think if O-line is working, I want Warren to get a lot of carries. Again, no facts to back this up but it's my opinion given a chance to carry 15-20 times Warren is putting up more yardage then Harris would.

Of course Coaches no much more then me so they won't do what I want so I sure the hell hope they do what you want and give him more carries.

21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    My bet would also be that if Warren carries 15 to 20 times a game he would be putting up more yardage then Harris. Again go back and see Warren"s 2 back to back runs in the 3rd quarter. 5 to 6 yards up the middle on both runs. Harris would of dance his way 1 or 2 yards as there was not a big hole to run. True the defenses are stacking the line of scrimmage on 1 and 2 downs, and that usually leaves us 3 and long. We are in trouble on offense as we don't have an OC that can compensate with scheme and play calling to get us out of this problem.

Yes Harris got to the outside once last week and then also changed direction and went for another 20 yarder, but how many times does he run into a brick wall by dancing, stutter stepping and not seeing daylight. You can't just stop Harris from running because of confidence issues but you do need to get Warren more caries then he has had.

The national media now is saying the same thing. Just give Warren more carries and see where it goes. It can't be any worse then what it is now.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ve started to notice when something very foolish is posted and it has a bunch of likes winners and agrees I look at the list of who they are

It’s like looking at the cast from One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats a very small sample size.

Over the course of a whole season Warren had a full yard more per carry, 4.9 to Harris’ 3.8.

Warren runs with more authority, hits the holes faster and just look all around better when he gets the ball.

I’m not there yet on saying Najee isn’t good but doubt is creeping in.

No one runs against a stack box more than Henry, doesn’t stop him. We can only afford to make excuses for Harris for so long. He needs to step up this year. If by the end of the season it is more of the same, I’ll be fully on board to make the switch to Warren.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is hindsight because most rankings had the Steelers' first-round pick being too high to take Humphrey. Given that he went late in the second round, yes, it would have been a reach to take him in the first. Passing on him in the second round, however, was a big mistake.

I don't know why, but they weren't interested in Linderbaum. They didn't go to his pro day. Also, if you believe a guy is your quarterback, you don't mess around. You take him. Also, just about every mock draft out there had Pickett in the first round.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Henry is better than both of those guys. With Chubb out, Henry is the best back in the league. Not being on that level doesn't mean Harris isn't the Steelers' best back.

For all the talk about Warren running with more authority, it is Harris who has been more effective as a runner this season. It is Harris who took over games late last season. Warren is great as a third-down back. He is great as a change of pace. That doesn't mean he should be the primary guy.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1