1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

backup QBs availability

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelers_liu, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    draft 2 rookies late and develop them

2. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    That`s the only name I`ve heard so far, that I would consider(out of the realistic possibilities)...
    Other than maybe bringing back Jerrod Johnson, or Dennis Dixon...
    As much as I would like to see Batch come back again, it`s been pretty obvious that Coach T doesn`t agree with me, and Lefty...
    Well...
    He`s Lefty...
    So... We gotta do somethin...

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i wouldn't mind a guy like derek anderson or rex grossman. then draft colin klien in the 7th rd.:cool:

4. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Because you don't just sign a QB because they beat you once.

5. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I was hoping during last years draft that would have picked Kirk Cousins at some point. Oh well, they're gonna have to put more thought into a backup QB than they have the last few years.

6. NM Steelers Fan

NM Steelers Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

But you can sign them because they are better than what you have.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Agreed! I was really hoping that we'd draft him last year and I think we missed an opportunity.

Would it be possible to franchise Wallace and then trade him to the Skins for Cousins along with a 4th round draft pick?

8. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree but the reason given was "he beat us last year".

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yep i was a big cousins backer. he's a winner and has shown it. two rookies have worked out pretty well in washington.

these guys are coming out alot more nfl ready lately. i touched on these type of qb's last year during the draft. the guys that are very capable but maybe just outside the top tier. 2nd, 3rd,4th round guys. maybe even later rounds. just because we had a 3rd or 4th rounder before 20 years ago and it didn't work out doesn't mean it won't with someone else. i believe they are as good as a backup vet. at least with some good coaching. he dosen't seem to have a problem sitting behind the starter. alot of folks used that as an excuse to not draft one.

guys like kapernick, mallett, cousins all fall in this range. they are all guys that were winners in college on a fairly big stage. it's shown it's not to big for a couple of them so far.

i'm big on colin klien. i like it better if that backup can throw but also has that demension where he can make plays with his feet also. this helps as they develop, because they don't get the reps and defenses can't gameplan against it as well. klien could be had later in the draft i think.:cool:

10. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    They showed a stat right before the draft last year.....you are just as likely to get a starting QB in the first...as you are in the 7th+.....rounds two through six almost never work out long term. 1 and 7 + are the top two rounds where starters have been found.

HACK

11. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    2 things wrong with this...

1. they would want more than a 7th- thats more than id give up for a backup

2. hes due 19 mil for 3 yrs...6 mil a year seems logical for a back up...:lolol:

12. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    I put this out there in another thread......What do you all think about drafting Matt McGloin (PSU) in round 4-5 if he is still there?

I like it! Not a real big guy 6-1 about 210 but from what I have seen has poise in the pocket and can find the open receiver. Think he would be the ideal back up to 7 for the next few seasons. After that we will see. Thoughts.....

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Who? Pat Mygroin.:lolol::cool:

14. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This.

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think this is absolutely wrong. This team has many needs, why use 2 of 7 draft picks on a position that is solid for the next 3-4 yrs?

To develop someone? NFL teams don't develop QBs, it's sink/swim/go to Canada/go to the CFL -- case in point: is anyone developing Terrell Pryor??
    To wait in the wings? If somebody has got to wait here 4 yrs for Ben to get old to get their chance, they'd rather wait elsewhere.

If you draft a late round QB on this team, you are drafting a 'tease'. He'll never do anything for you, but get you excited at what he might do, in preseason, against future grocery clerks

Get yourself a experienced guy who has started and knows he can't start again. He's lived his dream, he knows his limitation and he's happy to have an NFL paycheck to back up Ben. But he's not learning on the job in 2013 when Ben gets hurt and a must win game comes along in Week 13 or 14.

16. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Of course you are not going to draft 2 rookie QBs....Thats just dumb.......Of the two, pick one, draft him and let him back up 7.....We all know who we got aint cutting it....Than lets see what happens 3 years down the road.

17. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    We're argueing again mac, I don't like either of them two dud's

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Who let the dog's out?

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    You call China doll lefty and old man Batch solid? You may want to remember, Ben gets jacked up a lot. Tomlin will always put lefty in, he can't hit the wall of a barn if he is inside it.

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    So should we draft McGloin in the 4th or 5th??

21. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think we give enough credit to Charlie. He won 3 out 4 games during Ben's little leave of absence. Then came back this year and yes lost the first game but beat the Ravens and he just came off the bench after how many months. Yes get rid of Lefty but keep Charlie and get another QB for back up.

22. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    He is 39 years old!!!.....Lets get a young QB behind 7! !!!

23. SteelersWin!

SteelersWin! Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2011
    With all the holes on this team I don't see how we can draft a backup QB any higher than using a 6th or 7th round pick. We cannot waste a 3rd or 4th round pick (a player that could be a potential starter at another position) to sit behind Ben. Do you guys think McGloin will get drafted at all?? He had a breakout year, but...

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they have a good bit of starting expierience between them. i'm not sure how many guys available as FA's next year have that much. so we are limited as to who we can bring in, that actually has stared and won. charlie or lefty didn't have stellar careers either before being relagated to backup duties. in a perfect world, niether would have to see the field for us, but you have to have at least one guy that has some previous starting time.:cool:

25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I used to think drafting a QB was a waste, we have Ben for sometime and thought we had quality backups. Looking back, Byron is awful and shouldn't be brought back. Batch, while he's gotten the job done will be another year older. As our 3rd QB, no hat on gameday, I think is a good move. However, I do believe we need a quality #2. Not to replace Ben, but to back him up. Very doubtful we will end up with Steve Young, so go after the best you can get. Why? Because in his career, Ben has only started all 16 games once, in 2008. We need a guy who can come in and get the job done, because he will be starting for us. Now, I wouldn't make it a 1st or 2nd rounder, but either a rookie or a vet, so long as he has the skill set. Not a running QB, but a guy who can throw the ball. No Tebow, no Vick, no Dennis Dixon.