1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ANY SUGGESTIONS TO FIX THIS STAGNANT OFFENSE

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    I honestly think it is 50-50

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Pay the offence according to points scored .no points no pay .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    All we need is a new QB, a new offensive line, and a new OC and we'll be fine.

Seriously though, I see other teams do quick throws to TE and slot receivers in middle of field. Sometimes the line breaks down so fast those aren't even available maybe? Looked like we had a pretty good screen call tonight, for example, where there wasn't even time for that.

4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Matt Canada needs to be fired tonight. Jones needs to play on the OL. The TEs must be used more.

Kenny has not been good but he's in a terrible spot. The scheme sucks and OL is getting him killed. He's never going to succeed that way.

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Did Washington play, I don’t recall seeing them out there? 2 TE sets should have been essential tonight.

Our interior OL has been really bad. They are all veterans, I did not expect this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Stop with the thinly veiled KP hate. He is playing like an inexperienced QB, because he is an inexperienced QB. They are asking too much of him at this point. It is not his fault that the running game is a joke. This oline is absolute trash in run blocking. To ask any QB to carry the offense with no running game at all is a tall ask, to ask that of a player that doesn't even have a season of starts under their belt is ridiculous. You can bench him if you want to ruin him, but what are you going to accomplish? Trub and Rudolph aren't the answer, we all know that. They invested a 1st round pick on him. That means he gets all of this year and maybe next year, so come to grips with it. Maybe at the end of this, he's not the guy, but until this team figures out how to run the ball, nobody will be the guy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    First and foremost no thinly veiled hate here. Second you dont think you will ruin his career right now with him being in the fire???
    Third, Im not thinking either backup is the savior. All im saying is the kid needs to step back and regroup. You do know that this works too?
    Also , asking too much of him? He got guys open and he cant get the ball to them?! Piss poor throws, not hating on him but maybe observing game from sidelines will benefit him. May see what he needs to do.

8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Remember the Steelers always suck when playing at the Raiders stadium. I don’t believe Ben ever beat the Raider when the Steelers was the visiting team

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL..Are you bringing back Derek Watt?

Currently the Steelers do not have a FB on the Roster, and you just saw had bad Warren is at blocking tonight.

10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Isn't this their 1st game playing in Las Vegas?

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Where's Connor Heyward

12. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Had we not needed Muth to block more plays would go his way. Not one reception nor throw his direction. Damn. He makes this team better for sure.

13. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Warren is better than Harris. Another bust pick for our geniuses.

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I get so tired of hearing this nonsense about needing to gel. These guys are flat out getting beat by the man across from them. That has nothing to do with gelling. These are professional players. They know how to do their jobs. They don't need time to figure it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kendrick Green

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett has a lot of issues right now.
    In college he was known for having happy feet and having no touch on the ball. Those issues have continued into the NFL. He's also missing a lot of throws, probably because his eyes and his feet aren't aligned, although hard to tell while watching live.

Our OC is brutal though. We were having success moving the ball, including rushing late in the game, and he then threw in a jet sweep and we lost yards. Like WTF? His playcalling leaves so much to be desired. Every time we make progress, he calls a terrible play that puts us back in a hole.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Oline play isn’t about one man doing his job. It’s about 5 men working together as a cohesive unit. That takes time

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Warren is quicker into the hole than Harris, he's not better. There's far more to being a RB than acceleration. If Warren is our primary RB, we're going to run into problems, especially in terms of blocking.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    He’s not as good a blocker I’ll give you that. But to say he’s not a better RB is ridiculous do you watch the games?

Najee will be sitting with me on the couch in 2 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    When the man across from you constantly beats you, that's an individual problem. You can do a things to try to help a guy out, as a unit like you say, but ultimately he needs to be able to beat the man across from him. If you can't block the guy across from you, no amount of teamwork is going to solve that problem. The other guys also have their assignments, and when you get into double teaming, blocking with the TE/RB, extra OL, it creates mismatches elsewhere. So yeah, I agree with you, but guys still have to perform at an individual level or it's hopeless.

21. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I do watch the games. Warren is a wrecking ball. He will hit the hole hard. That's about all he does well. He's not particularly talented.

For the record, I'm not a big Najee fan. He's a bit of a plodder, although in his defence he's being misused.

I prefer the Alvin Kamara's of the world over the 4 yards and a cloud of dust. The game has changed. Najee just isn't the guy that's going to break off big runs. He'll grind out yards, but he'll never break a game open

• Like Like x 2
  22. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Najee doesn’t do anything well so I guess hitting the hole hard would be plus 1 for Warren.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    The goal line play where Najee ran straight up the middle, when they have 11 defenders waiting on it calls for a play action fake and a bootleg and a TD to a tight end. Fixed it have Matt call me.

24. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Normally I’d agree with you, but there is something about this offensive line coach’s style that is not normal. I have no idea what it is, whether it’s a technique that he wants or a zone blocking concept or what. I’m no offensive line guru (maybe Mac knows?).

But it definitely took a while for the line to begin to perform adequately last year. I mean Cole is a journeyman, but Daniels and Seamolu aren’t bums. They were both highly touted free agents. They didn’t just forget how to play. There’s something weird or at least different about what this coach asks of them.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Meyer is more aggressive in pass sets and asks lineman to punch a bit differently, but that’s about it.