1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin admits communication on D is a problem

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Sep 18, 2023.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    https://steelersdepot.com/2023/09/mike-tomlin-changes-his-tune-on-steelers-communication/

Here here... I said my biggest concern with the team wasn't Kenny Pickett, it was the amount of turnover in the back 6/7. You just cannot have that much turnover and expect to be great, right away. Communication and chemistry takes time to develop. I think by the bye week they should be able to have a lot of this ironed out and look like the defense we're all anticipating. As long as this team can survive these first 5 games I think they can still make a playoff push. There's a reason why I predicted 9 wins and this is it. Next year is where this franchise makes the huge jump into SB contenders, we can at least hope... right.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They’re professionals, should be solved by now

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I always wonder how stupid NFL players must be to have one sole purpose in life, practice it daily for years, and still not be able to adapt to playing with new players. Them's gotta be dumb as ****.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This means the scheme has to many rules and can be tricked easily Is why I wished we would draft man players and teach them to play zone at least then if things are not going well then just man up and just play Football.. We always draft DB'S who can play zone and are good at run support Is a bad approach IMO we should draft DB'S who can press or play off man coverage .

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have always said this. Can you beat the man across from you?

6. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    They need to start communicating with cliches

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    JP Jr. and Corey Trice say hi. Press man is a strength for each guy.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Edit -I’ll just add one thing: when you play 2 games each vs. Lamar Jackson and Dashaun Watson, and play other running QBs as well, you’d better be able to play zone so you don’t have multiple defenders turning their backs on those QBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Finally late to the party ...

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    New regime.

I always liked Colbert dont have anything bad to say about him but just because someone is good at their job doesn’t mean another person(s) can’t come in a do a better job. Having said that, jury is still out on Khan/Weidl but I like their approach so far.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is what spies are used for Kwon Alexander says hi to Massage man and Lamar.

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, let’s hope Kwon can give massage man an unhappy ending.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Did Tomlin admit how many seasons in a row that this has been a problem?

14. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Communication starts in the locker room, practice field, game plan room. That all transfers to game ready football on any team. And I still maintain that these coaches are held accountable for there actions. Push the team to beyond good. If MT and coaches are not sending any messages good or bad then everyone is wasting there time.

15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That Green Dot sure does move from helmet to helmet a lot, sometimes in-game too!

16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I have stated this in perpetuity all Off Season on how Miscommunication in the back end was going to be part of the growing pains for the team. During Training Camp, I also stressed how the Offense as well will not be exempt from this either. Even if the team did have some exposure during the Preseason, the Bills game being the proverbial tune up, the fact remains is that such shortcomings would be magnified during the early parts of the season.

If anything, Tomlin might need his "boxers" to do a bit more "sparring" before they challenge their opponent. Only so much "sparring" though to do. What should be a point of emphasis tonight is to see if Levi Wallace can bounce back. I am not nearly as worried about P2 as I am about Levi.

Levi is very smart and instinctive as a Corner... but you need athleticism to go with it. He doesn't have much of that to offer. Should that continue, I wouldn't mind pressing Joey Porter Jr. in some.

17. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Tomlin still thinks he is with the VIKINGS as a DB coach.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This 100. You must worry about Your division 1st , and foremost.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Ummm obviously since I shoved that LeBeau aside

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Spies just take a player out of the picture, and no matter what I think about Lamar jackson....he can run. There is a reason our Zone D has never lost to Cam Newton, Watson, and our only loss to Lamar was in overtime...won by their kicker...after JuJu fumbled the ball, and against Duck Hodges. Yet NE Patriots one of the best Man teams have never beaten either of them.

21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Why is it that damn near every yr, someone, either a coach or defender, says that the secondary needs to improve communication

22. Todd S

Todd S Member

Sep 18, 2023

23. Todd S

Todd S Member

Sep 18, 2023
    Agree with your statements. The linebacker core is suffering tremendously from Talent. Maybe the weakest core of linebackers in 50 years. They're slow, sluggish and lack athleticism. If you're chosen as a starter you better prove you have the talent to compete at this level. They've been made to look like fools by quick tight ends and fast running backs, always two steps behind. If they win 50% of their games it'll be a miracle.

24. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
  25. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011