1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

our defensive and offensive schemes sucks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Sep 14, 2023.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We have new ILBs on defense but the run defense still stinks. Chris Hoke said our scheme sucks and not the players. Our scheme doesn't work against run defense. Our defensive coordinator is not adjusting to opponent's offense. Same thing with our offense, it is not designed to attack the opponent's weakness. Both our coordinators sucks and need to be replaced.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Our championship teams were predicated on running the ball and stopping the run... neither of which we did well against the 49ers...
    The 3-4 defense does not work well without that immovable object in the middle, and not only did Benton barely play, but our actual immovable object and 1 dimensional run stuffer is sitting on the practice squad because all he does is stop the run.... Unfortunately, Tomlin doesn't know how to use the 3-4 defense.... we have more than enough pass rush juice around the middle that we don't have to harass the qb up the middle... Just hold the point

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Ahem' *cough* *cough,* Tomlin *cough*, *cough*

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Benton played 48 snaps iirc

5. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    29 snaps

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Nothing is going to change unless the entire staff is blown up. I think Khan's the guy to do it. Would rather have a great season but I think it's a win-win either way this year - Great season and at least 1 playoff win OR a new staff next year.

7. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    But "good ole boy" Tomlin is just fine with both coordinators. So, we have that going in our favor. We got that woodpile stacked, so we are good to go. As long as Tomlin is "buddies" with everyone moving forward, all is good, even IF we end up just 1 game over .500 for the rest of eternity. At least we can wail, "Tomlin has never had a losing season!" and stick that in our caps.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They finished in the top 10 against the run in 2022, it's only one game way too early to judge them, their top 3 ILBs are all new to the team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    And in this rocket science environment, how long should a team/players take to learn how to play a defense in "a game?" Years? Is it really THAT complicated? Hmmm, other teams don't seem to take so long to get it down.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Let me preface first that I have no clue what this team is going to do today, tomorrow, all season. However, I do wonder about your question. I don't know the answer but how do teams do, offensively or defensively, during a season with new coordinators/ HC's, etc? In these scenarios, all the players are learning a new offense or defense so is this much different than have a couple of players being new to the O/D? Same with college freshman suiting up right out of HS into new everything. Just wondering. JMO>

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    So, in your world it's acceptable to take YEARS for players to learn a new system? Got it. You must love the team Tomlin has put together then.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    :facepalm:

15. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Meanwhile Brian Flores has less talented Minny defense firing on all cylinders

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Except for that whole stopping the run part.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    No, that's not possible, he would need at least 3 years before the players would have the "new system" down. It takes YEARS before players can grasp a "new system." We couldn't even dump an incompetent OC because a "new system" would be impossible for a 2nd year pro QB to grasp in one offseason. It's simply impossible for a player to fully grasp a "new system" in less than 3 years. This is more complex than a NASA moon mission.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    They are down 13 - 7, to the Eagles, at halftime after multiple fumbles.

I think they had the worst ranked defense last season.

19. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    Glad I'm not the only one with this view LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  20. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Doesn't change the fact that they can't stop the run.

21. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    Sure bud, you got it.

22. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Not sure what you're arguing with me about. The Eagles ran what had to be 10 straight runs in that one series. All the way down the field. Maybe 3 passes in the whole series. I will say, up until that very series, I thought they were doing well. But then the meltdown

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    No arguement. My observation was its impressive to see a solid 1st half where they had 3 turnovers and were only down 6 points against the Eagles, a Superbowl caliber team.

Minny has 9 or 10 comeback wins last season. They melt down and then rally back late. Prime example is the Indy game, down 33-0 to a Jeff Saturday coached team at the half and rallied back to win. If they figure out that defense then it's a game changer for them.

Meanwhile, we keep spinning our tires and wasting a very capable defense lol.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That so called SB caliber team didn't look so good against the Patriots last week, and barely got our with a win.

25. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    First off,r score
    That defense is close to giving up over 200 yards rushing at the start of the 4th quarter. As for last year, those comebacks were largely because of the offense but even so, Flores was not part of that defense.