1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers vs. 49ers official game thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, Sep 10, 2023.

1. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    So you don't get a "year two leap" after game 1 of year 2. I guess the chat forums are for those that can't relax and let things play out so I'll have to pick my spots going forward.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Bengals started 0-2, but they didn't lose the anchor on their defensive lineman for half the season like the Steelers did yesterday. As bad as the game was, my biggest concern was the injuries. Now Heyward is out about eight weeks due to surgery to repair his groin injury. I doubt he will be his usual self all season. Johnson will probably be out for a while, too. This sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The silver lining with Johnson is Austin looked good out there. He’ll be getting an increased roll.

Robinson stepped up as well after Johnson went down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Losing Heyward for 8 games won’t be as bad as losing Watt for 6 last year. We have some depth with the DL. We just can’t afford to lose anyone else

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Woodson two-six

Woodson two-six Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Watt's overall game (if you were to account for every snap on the field)= pedestrian! He and his position coach could tell you several errors he made during the game. Am I saying he's a bad player? No! For a guy that is accounting for a good portion of the Steelers' overall salary, he did not have a great game.

Lack of setting the edge and the ability to consistently pressure the 49er QB were two huge reasons the Niners looked unstoppable most of the game!

(vague example) I liken this to a DB that gets burned several times in a game but the receiver drops the ball 3 out of the 4 times (after getting behind the DB and the defense)! Then the DB gets a pick later in the game! Maybe he has a few tackles. His team loses the game by a wide margin. A lot of fans would not even pay attention to those snaps where the DB gets owned down the field! Instead, they just read the stat line and marvel over the pick!

Direct quote from TJ Watt:
    "I mean, I really don't want to diminish what it is, but I'm super upset about the results today," said Watt. "Not happy with it. It's not acceptable on many levels. There are so many more plays to be made out there, myself included."- TJ Watt

Go Steelers!
    Go Beavers!

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Riiight…. So what is TJ going to say? “I played great but my teammates failed?” Of course not. He’s a consummate pro and teammate. Anything critical he has to say is going to happen behind closed doors. TJ played a hell of a game. I haven’t had a chance to rewatch the game, and probably won’t, but I did watch the 11 1/2 minute highlight video that showed about 30 San Fran snaps, particularly all of the highlight caliber plays, and there were literally zero times that TJ failed to set an edge on a run his way in any of those plays. The big San Fran runs were up the middle and to their left at Highsmith (who had a somewhat tough outing).

• Like Like x 1