1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers OC Matt Canada Tabbed as Head Coach Candidate!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 7, 2023.

1. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
  2. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Can someone trade us a high draft pick for him….

3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I would be excited if Canada became a HC candidate because that means the Steelers had a successful season and playoff run.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Why wait.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Actually I can see this happening.
    Hell, I'm not sure he'd get a HC job before Benny Lava!

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bienemy also had some legal issues when he was younger. That doesn't help. Also, the Bears were burned by Nagy. I think teams are wary of once again giving too much credit to the offensive coordinator of a team that has Andy Reid as the head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Regarding the actual thread topic, I would love to see it happen. As mytake wrote, it would mean the Steelers had a successful season, at least on offense. It would also mean Canada could be gone by next season, which I think would be a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am a rocket scientist too. Did I mention
    I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    This is about Canada’s offenses to this point vs Bienemy’s offenses to this point. Not specifically about Bienemy. Although I do think Bienemy deserves a shot at HC before Canada. Specifically.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    they are one of the dumber organizations, that is for SURE!

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He could be a head coach! Of a fantasy league!

12. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers OCs have always been scapegoats. I think the only one who escaped extreme criticism was Ken Whisenhunt. Even Arians and Haley got bashed and ridiculed by Steelers fans, and they were good OCs, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. MojoUW

MojoUW Member

Aug 16, 2023
    Good to see that Florio can reach back and conjure up the ol' speculative fiction fastball. This is like the first days of the PFT website. Thought he got out of the making stuff up from thin air since he went legit on TV.

That being said, the NFL is filled with desperate owners in search of instant fixes to their terrible teams. If Canada directs say like a top 15 offense this year and Pickett looks amazeballs...some owner will let him interview and convince him that Canada can "save/develop" [insert flawed highly drafted QB here].

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    We're a season removed from calling for Canada's head and returning him to the college ranks, and now we're speculating about him being a head coach???
    Really...

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Very interesting article. I can’t quite tell whether Rivera likes Bienemy’s approach or doesn’t like it. I don’t know, just seems like Bienemy is on a bit of an ego trip. Referring to himself in the third person is kind of strange. Nothing wrong with a little intensity and constructive criticism, but there seems to be something about him as a coach that’s not connecting with the players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    It's possible. One could argue (emphasis on "could") that last night's offense by KC shows they miss Bienemy. On a total scale of things, I'd say rougher/tougher coaches are usually better than softies. But I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. Over the years, it's the hardcore coaches who seem most-successful, but there are limits to how hardcore a coach should be, especially these days. But, like I said, history-wise, the tougher coaches succeed more (i.e. Lombardi, Noll, Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Landry, et al). But maybe those days are over. I can't say. It will be interesting to see how the Commanders do this season.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.
    It shows like I've been saying. A. Reid is a awesome OC, and a good coach, but Mahomes has made Him a genius. 4th, and forever.....Hey let's go for it. LoL. A. Reid has alway been terrible at clock management, but Mahomes has covered for a bunch of this.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We should be so lucky he gets a job somewhere else! Pray we are that successful!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    I love your avatar. Classic Lloyd knocking Favre's dental work loose.

• Like Like x 2
  21. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Does this mean........Canada will be considered a quarterback guru??!!

:cool:

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One could only argue that if one didn't watch the game. Losing Bienemy didn't cause the receivers to drop so many passes. It also isn't the reason they were missing Kelce.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Silverback

Sep 1, 2023
    You bring up general execution (catching passes) as to one reason why KC's offense wasn't up to par...I have to ask, who is most-responsible for a unit's general execution? Their assistant coach? Had an assistant coach been there who applied more pressure to perform, what might have been the outcome? Impossible to say, but not implausible to to question. They say "You play how you practice." Maybe the "less hard" new OC is softer. Maybe the "more-casual" atmosphere did KC no favors.

24. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I would have to agree with Scribe on this one. Dropped passes and the loss of Kelce were major contributors to this loss and showed a major crack in KCs armor. I don't feel like there was a receiver who stepped up that Mahomes could trust. I don't know that the game plan necessarily did them in and to be honest, I'm not sure how much of their offense was Reid and how much was Bienemy last year. Regardless, I don't think the loss of him can be blamed for the Chiefs getting beat.

25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Also, I might add that the thought that Kansas Citys greatness is somehow tied to the toughness of their coaches seems absurd to me. Mahomes is as competitive as they come and you can damn sure bet he and the coaches had that team ready to play. They were missing a major piece of their offense and just plain got beat by a team who could end up having a damn good season