1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers vs. Buffalo Chips Preseason Game Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, Aug 19, 2023.

1. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Clearly. I'm just identifying a mistake on the field. I was responding to someone saying that Green has something to do with those mistakes. I just pointed out how much of that was still on Rudolph.

That's what you do after a game. You look at the tape and you review your own work. The coaches review your work and then you try to process everything to learn from your mistakes. It's not fun being on the big screen and screwing up. Those of us who played understand that. It's part of the process of working to get better.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hell, I remember wanting Quinn Meinerz before any one else by the time the third round for Pittsburgh started. If Creed Humphrey was gone, Josh Myers from Ohio State was my second choice. If not him, Quinn was my third. He was right there too!! :@

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i'm aware. when coaching you also take into account the big picture of why there was a problem and correct the whole problem and not just part of it. :smiley1::cool:

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Craig Wolfley would like to disagree with you

I was listening to him sing Green’s praise on the radio broadcast

Now you may know more about OL play than him I will have to concede I do not

5. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I know. Humphrey was my #1. I felt that Landon Dickerson was going to be a good player, but didn't know if he would continue as a center or move to guard. But either way, you were getting a real good player. He had some injury issues, but I still really liked him. Then Myers and Meinerz. Green wasn't even on my radar. I was extremely surprised when they took him, and hoped I was wrong about my evaluation of him. Sadly, I was not.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i saw it and also heard his head coach not sing praise on him. i love wolf but this is an ongoing problem. :cool:

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Let this be a massive learning lesson for Tomlin. For that matter, thank God for both Omar Kahn and Andy Weidl. I would imagine that Weidl is already doing he due diligence on the next crop of Centers. Sedrick Van Pran from Georiga and Bryce Foster from Texas A&M.

Either or I will jump for joy.

8. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

It's early, but you would think either of them would have to be a major upgrade from Green.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Colbert was a great GM for a long time with the steelers but in the last few years he was a little washed up, like questionable draft decision and it was a little too long to extend the contract for some of the best players or our best player of this team when it was time (remember T.J Watt, no reason it's been too long)...

Khan is way more faster right now to extend important players like Fitzpatrick last year and HighSmith this year...I'm not sure Highsmith would have a contract right now if it was still Colbert if we look what happened in the last 3-4 years with him(I was talking Watt in 2021 but also Cam Heyward in 2020)...Likely it would have happened the contract extension for Highsmith at some point but it would have been longer,so more drama

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

In Foster's case?! Very likely. Sadly, he got injured a season ago but he is very much an athletic mauler of a Center. In Van Prans case?!

Oh most definitley. Take everything you like about Green but remove a lot of the bad (and I mean a lot of it), add in serious amounts of starting experience despite being only 21 (30 Starts at Center) and crank Greens hand placement and footwork up to 11.

I wouldn't mind having Van Pran as a First Round option. If anything, I would root for it.... provided me and the corner @S.T.D want in Cooper Dejean from Iowa is no longer available.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Labriola had a decent breakdown of this is Fraday's Asked and Answered. One could argue about choosing Creed or Muth, both were needed positions and Muth has been and presumably will continue to be valuable to this O. The 3rd round and who was still there is where the argument takes a different direction. Meinerz was from a a division 3 school, but the talent was evident. They missed on this big time, not the first or last they will miss, but like other misses you admit it and move on and look other places to fill that mistake.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Ok I had to record it and watching now. I just have to say it I love Warren and just think he has that burst that I'm waiting to see from Najee. If his early football security issues are behind him he is a winner and we have to keep this guy and keep him involved. I don't care if Najee is the #1 pick, whoever produces needs to be there. So I hope Najee kills it but if he struggles in the season we need to see more Warren!!

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I do agree that some of the picks Colbert made during his final years here were not very good. Pending on the final results of his final draft in 2022, 2018-2020 were largely bad as a whole; netting only five of twenty or more players who are still Steelers. As much as I loved Terrell Edmunds, as I stated on September 16th of 2019, Minkah Fitzpatrick spelled the beginning of the end and Edmunds was simply on borrowed time.

Devin Bushs ACL Injury in 2020 set him back in a massive way. I mean massive man. Just oof. Simply was not the same. Chase Claypool ended up falling victim to believing his own hype; so much so he regressed badly in 2021 and in 2022 had to be traded. I get that Pickett was still very much a Wide Eyed Rookie QB but contested catches is not something Pickett can control.

Geez man... that first pass that Kenny threw still pisses me off for Kenny. Claypool didn't even make a concentrated effort to contest the catch! Even if he wasn't going to make the catch, ensure the DB doesn't pick it off dammit!!

Regarding Kahn?! Kahn is simply a product of the modern times. As you said, hold ins are not going to be much of a factor in the near future for Kahn has been on record in stating he doesn't like contract holdouts and prefers to get them done as soon as possible.

That said, if there is one thing that Kahn does much more than Colbert ever did, it is to adapt. Granted, the old adage of "my way or the high way" was a major point of emphasis during the time in which Colbert was GM. To his credit, it did work as that was the law of the land during his years (still is to some extent).

Today's NFL is so much different and star players have a lot more leverage than they did a generation or more ago. For that matter, pissing off star players is the best way to get them to lobby themselves off your team. It may have happened in 2019 but Jalen Ramsey is the best example of when a star player will do whatever it takes to get out of a bad situation. Tyreek Hill can also fit here but not necessarily due to his situation being more predicated on money than notoriety. Kahn realizes this and, as you said, unlike the T.J. Watt hold in, did not repeat with Minkah or Alex (though Alex's may have taken a bit longer than I would imagine Kahn would have liked).

In short?! I do love what Kahn has done. Don't forget Andy Weidl though as he has made a massive contribution! Hope he stays long term! :steelflag::steelflag::steelflag:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Tomlin teasing me into watching last preseason game, saying starters will play, which is unusual:

"At halftime, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin talked about his starters and what he saw in those first two drives against the Buffalo Bills.

Tomlin noted that ideally, he would have liked to have left them on the field a little longer. However, Tomlin opted to pull the starting offense after scoring two explosive touchdowns on two drives.

After that, Tomlin also noted that after this game, the team has to travel to Atlanta to take on the Falcons on a short. Week. He said that by pulling his starters quickly this week, it would allow them to play a bit more in Week Three."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Najee is not a burst guy, would be nice to see a 4.5 avg, but unless it's a huge hole or D miscue Najee is not going to get that type of run. That said neither is Warren going to get you a 62 yard TD run every quarter, lol. I do think Warren get's more snaps at strategic times, but if Najee runs with the authority and power he did the last half of last year, then he and this O can shine.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    I know I'm way behind and haven't read a thread not wanting to know the outcome, but Mitch sucks, the swing pass to Gunner was too far behind him and he just has zero presence imo. Have no idea how the rest of this goes but I think he just plain sucks and we are wasting dough on him. Now its Kenny or bust with no confidence in Mitch if he has to come in.

Edit: Ok I got emotional, I have to give Mitch his due, he did a better job on the TD drive. A couple of nice throws.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Can't remember but when there were 4 pre-season games I think the last one starters didn't play much at all. Now with only 3 and a Thursday night game, not sure how teams will handle it. Lot of rest until Sept. 9th. Maybe we will see starters first half????? This damn game best be on NFL Network. Not sure if any other teams are playing Thursday night but fingers crossed we are on.

Just watched tape of last night. Just not the same knowing it's already been played.

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Can't see Kenny playing every minute of all 17 games. I'd much rather see Mason then Mitch during any Kenny downtime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Najee and Warren are a great 1-2 punch. We can give each must-needed rest. No need to overanalyze it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Jeez, can it get any worse for Green. This trial of him at center is just a complete and utter disaster!!! Son it's time for you to get on with your life's work!!

22. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Agree, I hope Tomlin uses them as that 1-2, with not having long stretches without 2. Keeps najee rested a bit and warren adds a different style with bit more speed, like pegram did with the bus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Starting to think Jaylen Warren could be a better RB than Najee. Najee could never hit that run yesterday.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    Ok powered through that, I understand being cautious, but only two series with the starters with the 2nd being one pass play. Would have expected at least a third series for Pickett. Every snap is a chance to continue to learn and gel.

25. Wolfepack88

Oct 16, 2022
    I get the season he was hurt but now with some weapons I want to see this year who is better. My gut is yours as well but this season will show who is better. Will be interesting to see YPC for each this year.

• Like Like x 1