1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm:hmm: Didn't know that, but...
    JPJ signed

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Anybody else think the Steelers need another RB ? McFarland does nothing for me.
    I mean even to get preseason carries.
    Anyways glad Snell is gone.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'd rather have Snell than McFarland

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    There’s the UDFA RB that Minkah laid out earlier.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    Me too , so that means that another RB is needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Why does that mean another running back is needed

8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    After Harris and Warren we have 3 small backs on the roster. McFarland who has shown nothing in the past is 5'8" 193, behind him is Jason Huntley at 5'9" 195 and Alfonzo Graham who is 5'9" 180 lbs. If one of the top 2 go down for a while with an injury these 3 backups don't give you much hope.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    Im assuming they believe if they need someone to run the ball they can quickly grab someone off the street , who knows.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This could be, but can't wait too long

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

heyward could take over some of these reps. graham has been highly touted too. they don't have to be huge. willie parker wasn't a monster. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    According to ProFootballReference.com, Parker was listed at 212 pounds. He wasn't tall, but he was solid. He was certainly more physical than McFarland. They were better off with Snell as their number three. He actually did well when called upon last season, and he was a good special teamer. I also think they are thinking of Heyward as a third option, though I don't remember him playing much at running back even in preseason last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe they want to try a smaller and quicker guy as the #3 RB, once cuts happen they will probably sign another one to the practice squad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Former Steelers CB Arthur Maulet to sign with Baltimore Ravens
    Guaranteed, he will be making it personal.
    Authur Maulet news: Former Steelers CB to sign with Ravens, ready to make things personal - Behind the Steel Curtain

I did not understand why the Steelers released Maulet in the first place. Calling out his teammates in a game for throwing in the towel and not even caring after a 38-3 loss to the Bills, was probably not the Tomlin way of doing things.

And now; 1st day of camp and Duke Dawson is the Steelers starting Slot-CB???

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

sullivan and elijah riley along with dawson and peterson are all playing the position. riley had a pick day one and a sack day two so far. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Agreed. Snell is a ST star even if he's not a feature RB. I don't think McFarland even gets a hat on gameday. I liked Snell at KY although he has been nothing even close to that in the NFL. The Steelers usually carry 3RBs, and they definitely have a size they like at RB as well which fits more to Snell than McFarland. I would rather see both RBs gone and take a chance on getting another Warren with a FA. It's the wait and see part of the season now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...p&cvid=dffa1cf3266d494583e8273feb0c7fc7&ei=13

we have more choices than first thought. as i said before, we have almost too much talent. we can't keep them all. would be nice but we can't. depends on how they structure the practice squad. if we can keep a couple there during the year if needed that would help for down the road. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I still don't understand why JPJ is not working in as the Slot-CB. Keep Peterson and Wallace on the outside, until Porter Jr. learns the defense and the NFL style. NFL Refs seem to be a little more forgiving when you put your hands on a 250lb TE than an outside WR.

Here in Colorado I watched Denver draft Patrick Surtain when they had 2 good starting outside CBs in Fuller & Darby. They worked Surtain into the starting lineup immediately by using him in the Slot-CB position.

Is it too high of a bar to compare Porter Jr. to Surtain Jr? Both having experienced the NFL through their fathers playing days?

2021 NFL Draft: Scouting Denver Broncos cornerback Patrick Surtain II - Mile High Report
    How Patrick Surtain II fits with the Denver Broncos
    He’s the Broncos' future number one corner. Now, I am not sure where he fits in the short-term, but it shouldn’t take him long to crack the starting roster. Someway, somehow he’ll see playing time.

Right now, you have Kyle Fuller, Ronald Darby, and Bryce Callahan penciled in as your starters, but Surtain could potentially be used as the Broncos' answer to the tight ends in the AFC West.

Travis Kelce and Darren Waller are in the division and give the Broncos issues every single time. Surtain has the size, athleticism, coverage ability, and skills to potentially be someone they can use to cover these guys. This and other matchup roles is how I see Surtain II being used early on before eventually taking over as a starting cornerback.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

To answer your concern, Joey Porter Jr. is not being used in the slot for his greatest weakness can be easily exploited there; agility. While Joey Porter Jr is more than agile enough to handle outside CB duties, Slot based duties are far more difficult to defend. Even if not accounting for such an athletic trait, Patrick Peterson has one massive advantage that JPJ lacks still; experience. Being a long but successful CB, Patrick Peterson has seen and played in a bevy of coverages. He knows what works and what does not work when it comes to playing in different positions. Joey Porter does not.

However, the biggest reason why Joey Porter Jr will never be a Slot CB is because of his tremendous skill set to take on/out opposing Number One WRs. JPJ was drafted for the sole purpose to be Pittsburghs true Number One CB; beating opposing WR1s to submission all the while. Maximizing his role here not only ensures that the Steelers can reap the benefits but also allow Joey Porter Jr to play to his strengths. The biggest benefit is that Teryl Austin can now use the likes of Patrick Peterson and Minkah (to a lesser extent) in whatever Defensive Back alignment he so chooses.

That is the absurd benefit that Joey Porter Jr can bring should he be able to break into the starting lineup sooner rather than later. Hell, adding Cory Trice Jr into the equation is even better as opposing Offenses will have a much harder time defending against two tall CBs who excel in man to man.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If the Steelers are all in on Warren there is no reason to bring in Snell.

Mcfarland brings in outside speed, something that Najee and Warren don't have. He played in 1 game last year and was having a good game, until he missed his block and got Kenny killed and was quietly shutdown for the rest of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    That's the biggest thing that keeps rbs off the field. It's not always how well they run it's getting your qb kilt. Because as Jack once said they should put skirts on them. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Warren is the No. 2 running back and the Steelers are using more sets with him on the field with Harris, so yeah, I think they are all in on him.

McFarland may be fast in shorts, but he hasn't shown much explosiveness in the NFL. As you pointed out, he can't handle the blocking work required of the position. Snell can, which is one reason to bring him back. Snell is a good special teamer. McFarland is not. That's another reason. Snell has been the more productive runner of the two in the NFL. That's a third reason. So much for your false assertion that there is no reason to bring him in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If you noticed todays practice you would have seen McFarland spending a lot of time either starting in the backfield and moving to the outside, or just breaking from the huddle and lining up as an outside WR. This is a skillset that Benny Snell does not bring to the team. If Snell is in the huddle you do not have to worry about him going to the outside as a WR.

Advantage McFarland.

I remember when Bell used to do this a lot.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We can get all of the above from Heyward plus a few other things. That leaves a RB on the ps at least. The 3rd or 4th rb during preseason will be that guy unless they wait until the cuts to find a ps guy at that point.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Yeah Levi Bell is still out there.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2