1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Canada improve ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ljkjr74, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I remember reading somewhere that after Kenny's bad start Mike Tomlin had a meeting with Canada about dumbing down his playbook for Kenny. And this smaller playbook turned out to be a big reason for Kenny's turnaround in the 2nd half. I saw this change in the 2nd half of the season when Kenny started throwing a lot of passes away rather than trying to work to his 4th and 5th option.

I can remember hearing the same thing about Ben's 1st year; how they shrunk the playbook for him, so he only had to read like half the field his rookie season.

This may be a reason Mike Tomlin can't bring in a Big Time Offensive Coordinator if he wants to still be in charge of the Offense in the background. You bring on a control freak of an Offensive Coordinatior you may have problems if Tomlin is constantly trying to get involved in the game plan.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i understand this. rookies.....are rookies. Kenny needs a MATURE OC that has developed young QB's - Canada has not. this is all part of the problem. of course, the playbook for Kenny would be thinner than for Ben or even for Trubiski, for that matter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    This is a long read article with clips of game film on Glenn Thomas's ASU offense. I put two paragraphs below from article.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...-canadas-offense-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-news

Glenn Thomas may be the key to unlocking Matt Canada’s offense

Thomas should mesh well with what the Steelers want to do on offense. He is a proponent of the zone run game, which Canada used almost exclusively last season. He has a connection to line coach Pat Meyer through Matt Rhule. Thomas was Rhule’s passing game coordinator at Temple and Baylor, while Meyer coached the line and coordinated the run game for Rhule with the Carolina Panthers. Thomas should understand, then, how to mesh the passing offense with Meyer’s run game, something Canada struggled with last season. And, at Arizona State, Thomas ran an NFL-style offense that integrated plenty of heavy personnel groupings, including ample use of tight ends and H-backs. As I wrote about last week, this is the direction I believe Canada has planned for next season’s Pittsburgh offense

A look at the film of Thomas’s time at ASU further clarifies the hire. While his offense failed to put up big numbers, it wasn’t for a lack of design. Thomas does some interesting things. In addition to the big groupings and heavy zone scheme, he incorporates lots of wide zone runs, which the Steelers never really got going last season. He moves the pocket with his quarterback, a strategy that proved beneficial with Kenny Pickett. He attacks the middle of the field in the passing game, which should be music to the ears of Steelers’ fans long frustrated by their reliance on dink-and-dunk throws to the boundaries. Tight ends are a big part of Thomas’s offense. He moves them all over the formation. He likes to use H-backs as fullbacks. He likes the Pistol formation. He likes the play-action pass. And he creates explosive plays.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    So

You just repeated BS from a moron looking for clicks

Am I missing anything

There is nothing to what this article states or you quoted

5. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022

I agree with the writer and I believe Glenn Thomas was brought in for the offense design

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok you agree with the writer

Is this based on any actual facts or just conjecture

Ditto Glenn Thomas

Serious question from a smart ass with a bottle of Dago Red in him

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The actual California named wine, or Italian red wine???

8. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022

Primary based on articles I've read about him, including this one added to this thread.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Brunello

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    So just so I’m not missing something

“You agree”

“I believe”

So simply conjecture which is great part of a message board

Being an old German engineer I just sometimes try to sort opinion from verifiable fact

:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019

I believe it is STD on this forum who pointed out that he had some of the best football skill position athletes in the world at LSU and the fanbase forums as you can imagine hated his philosophy.

Maybe it was the QB that failed him but with the weapons the Steelers have in 2023 I am hoping we have the Al Davis 70s 80s vertical passing attack instead. ha Pass opening up the run!

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    This is why I have high hopes with the addition of Glenn Thomas. Matt Rhule and Thomas attempted to recruit Pickett to Temple, though Pickett eventually went with Pitt. Good Pickett chose Pitt, because Rhule and Thomas went to Baylor.

https://sportsnewscenter247.com/ind...as-has-prior-relationship-with-kenny-pickett/

New Steelers Offensive Assistant Glenn Thomas Has Prior Relationship With Kenny Pickett

After a visit to Temple, Pickett told 247Sports ScarlettNation.com he was impressed with Thomas’ work coaching a young Matt Ryan. Thomas came into the league as an offensive assistant in Ryan’s rookie year in 2008.

“The Temple visit went great,” Pickett said. “I really enjoyed touring the facilities and speaking to the coaches. [Offensive coordinator Glenn] Thomas talked about the offense with me and my parents, about his time in the League coaching Matt Ryan, schemes and quarterback development. We all came away very impressed.”

It gives Pickett someone else he can trust outside of quarterbacks coach Mike Sullivan and offensive coordinator Matt Canada and brings in a coach who knows Pickett’s skillset and likely has a good base of knowledge about him as a player and a person. In addition, it’s just good to have another voice in the offensive coaches’ room, especially with a guy who has a history of working with young quarterbacks both at the college and pro levels. Hopefully, the addition of Thomas can help Pickett take that next step in his NFL career as he heads into Year 2 and beyond.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Tried the pass first offense in 2018, what did it get them? Then again in 2020... an early exit from the postseason when they couldn't even muster 60 yds rushing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    al davis? how about the 70's steelers that could play it any way you wanted. they could run it, they could throw it, they played good defense. this seems like how they have built this team. :cool:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    What are we basing the Steelers able to throw it on? They were one of the worst passing offenses in the NFL last year. Adding Allen Robinson? Did I miss something.

16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    we don't want a dink and dunk offense like in the last few years with Ben too.In fact this is the worst possible thing to do.I don't care about the run pass ratio but we need way more big play...And also,this is a awful idea to run the ball when the opposing defense stack the box to stop the run

17. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    But I don't think the current steelers have 5 future HOF on this offense like in the 1970s!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    If you can’t stretch the field and keep defenses honest you will not be able to compete with the big boys. This offense needs to come out of the dark ages and adapt to the times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    allen and austin and butler and pickens and heyward and warren and pickett no longer rookies. do you really think because if it was like that last year it will be the same this year? c'mon man. this is also not to mention the addition at TE and the help we have added to the O-line. then the addition of glenn thomas. so yes i guess you missed a lot. :shrug::cool:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Diontae Johnson followed his 95th out of 152 receivers in yards per target in 2021 by ranking 117th out of 139 receivers in yards per target in 2022

Doesn’t that get you excited

Some people think he’s a good #1 receiver :facepalm:

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    you never know. the steelers of the 70's didn't know that until the got on the field either. and 5? there were more than 5. :smiley1::cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    With Matt Canada still calling the plays the offense will have to win in spite of him unfortunately. You ever heard of the sophomore slump? Not every rookie is better in year 2 when there is more tape on them for teams to game plan. Fantasy is not necessarily indicative of an actual players complete ranking but there is a reason most of our team is ranked very low there. Nobody is afraid of this offense. Triple reverses might work at Pitt not as much on Sundays.

All that being said the OLine should be improved the running game should be better and I am excited to see if KP can grow and show signs he can be a franchise guy.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    lots of good vets were added to the youngest offense in the league. Canada's hands shouldn't be tied by an aged qb or a mediocre qb, or a rookie qb. Do you think he ran this offense by design? I don't think so. The players he was dealing with limited it immensely. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  24. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    if he lets KP help design the plays and lets him call them...then yes there is a chance.

25. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Lol so basically if Matt Canada didn’t exist.

• Winner Winner x 2