1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Network Believes Steelers Are Super Bowl Contenders

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelersFan369, May 20, 2023.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nobody said that

You keep making up bull****

2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Go back two pages and read what you wrote? Are you that dense? You know how to highlight posts you can do this I have faith.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    All I asked was for you to try just once to make an intelligent accurate post

And two more times you failed

• Like Like x 1
  4. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    You are helpless and hopeless. Have a nice evening.

5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You should change your screen name to DJBull****

6. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I actually want to change it all together DJ sucks worse than your optimistic nonsense. You must be Glemms Great Great Grandfather.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Nobody ever said it was a high powered offense. Did the running game improve from the season before? Did the line start to play better? Those are both part of the offense under canada.

KC and the Bengals do play teams that are not at the top of the league too. Do those wins count for them? Last I checked they do. You play the schedule given you. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    You play to win the game!

Herm Edwards Circa 2002

I like the direction the roster is headed I want to like KP but we will find out more soon. Canada is a joke. The OC that is I actually enjoy a good Poutine. Gotta get the cheese curds melted and gooey just right….

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    where does glenn thomas fit? pickens a year under his belt. austin (who they missed last year) will be back. we have added a good deal to the passing game (which it needed). we have added to the running game (which it needed).

canada has shown he can help the run game. the line started getting on point. (now we have added to it at the weak spots). the run game is getting better and should continue. (added offensive linemen and TE to help that part)

pickens was a rookie. KP was a rookie. heyward was a rookie. warren was a rookie. simms hadn't played in a meaningful game in well over a year until last year. cole was new. trubisky was new. daniels was new. najee was injured. with all this going on, i don't care if it was mahomes or burrows playing the offense wasn't going to be a high powered offense, but they improved in areas despite all the things i mentioned. canada should get credit for doing a pretty good job of making strides with the team considering how young we were. there is also no reason they stay at the same level of last year this year.

i'm not sure how you can criticize canada and try to compare last years team to mahomes and KC and burrows and cinci. those teams had the players in place. i get it you don't like canada. fine. that's your choice. your wrong but it's your choice. you can't blame the bad and never praise the good.

rome wasn't built in a day. john heywood circa 1538. actually from 1108 early france. neither of these writers won the super bowl either, just like herm edwards which you seem to like to quote. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He said that the offense got much better. It did. Undeniably. The Steelers were at or near the top of the league in time of possession and 10+ play drives in the second half of the season. The 3 and outs were significantly reduced. It was a product of doing exactly what you’re supposed to do when you have a rookie QB and solid defense: you shorten the game by running and throwing short, safe passes with the occasional downfield throw to try for big plays. It worked well. To the tune of 7-2 down the stretch with only 1 interception by that rookie QB along the way. If we had been having Pickett sling the ball around like Mahomes, we could have easily gotten down 2+ scores in some of those games and be taken out of our optimal game plan.

I’m not a fan of Canada, but I can’t really say that he called games badly during the second half of the season. We executed the right strategy. I’d still prefer a new OC, but we’ve got who we’ve got for 2023.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021

Good points and Mac made some also however I still feel you need to look at the competition down the stretch. We played some horrible teams so those long drives to me don’t look AS good. Not saying it didn’t improve but we were god awful to start the year so it’s a low bar. Once again I understand it was a young team with new pieces and a rookie QB but the downfield specifically middle of the field passing attack was almost non existent. As my initial response was to the OP and the Steelers being a SB contender that couldn’t be farther from the truth with a dink and dunk offense who can’t score TDs in the red zone. Could things improve this year? I suppose but it would take the skill of our roster to outperform this dud of a coaching scheme.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I quoted Herm once and only once.

You have some valid points Mac and I do like the direction of this roster after a solid draft but MC is in way over his head at this level. We all know why he is the OC…….Dino Tomlin and Maryland.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

maybe thats the coach you should be mad at if thats why canada got the job. the owner and old GM and new GM and new assistant GM also had a chance to over ride MT too if that was the reason. not so sure your argument of dino is a good one. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The 10 plays drive or more can be good and bad at the same time....Good for the defense but also bad for the offense because they struggle to have big play and this is bad if you are not good in the red zone and the margin of error is too small.....At some point,the steelers will need to have more big play in this offense

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t be giving him facts

Thats not his strong point

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

maybe but it also puts pressure on the opposing teams offense and defense. the offense sitting on the sidelines and then feeling like they have to push to score once they do get on the field against our well rested defense, and the other teams defense that's tired from being on the field all game long. there is nothing wrong with those 10 play drives if you come away with TD's at the end. any score helps but you can't trade 3's for 7's. scoring TD's is the key. doesn't matter if it's quick or slow but preferably slow. control the pace, the clock, rest the defense, score 7's. do that and we will be hard to handle. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This exactly.
    Also Everyone that's been on Here knows How I felt about Canada the day He was hired as the OC(I was called a hater by a lot on here)....., but He's here, and our offense actually did seem to get better....also KFP likes him....so IMO it would be going backwards to just fire Him after last season. Now if We don't continue to progress.....that's a different story at the end of this season.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly...the only time long drives are a bad thing is if You get behind by a few scores.....otherwise it's great football.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Last year I think it was Mac who for a while posted the ratings for the OL

At first they were at the bottom

By season end they had greatly increased

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    If the drives are very long,the game will remain close even if you dominante the game

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    But that is just good football

One of the best games I ever watched was vs the Houston Oilers and the final score was 6-3

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    This is good football but you need some big play at some point or the steelers will have zero margin from error if you are too often on 3rd down....In the second half of last season the steelers were 55% on 3rd down,who was great but this is very hard to maintain for a full season, a reason why you need more big play....The long drives are especially good in the 2nd half when you have the lead, which made the 2004-2005 steelers great....They were more aggressive in the first half to have a 2 score lead and the second half, it was Cowherball!!!

• Like Like x 1
  23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    100% agree. NFC pretty much had one great QB last season, AFC is stacked. Hell, the NFCCG had a last pick in the draft QB going into a stacked Philly. Vegas crapped the bed with a 2 point spread. People bet the house on the Eagles.

24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    That's the great thing about the NFL, small amount of games so that with 4-5 weeks left in season most teams technically still are in the hunt for the Lombardi. I got nothing to inspire us that we were SB contenders with that good old cajun Bubby but we were with Mark. Made it to the AFCCG. A win away from SB.

I always found this a little ironic. Malone and the Steelers were only team to beat 49ers that year. That means we let the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphin team take a shot of the hard stuff. I think the surviving members do that once a team can't have a perfect season. Don't know how many are around but they had to wait long the year Brady and Co. went down in flames. Anyhow the favor was not returned as it was the Miami Dolphins who beat Mark and the boys in that AFCCG:(

• Like Like x 1
  25. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    That lack of depth, I would think is a problem for many teams. I've always believed the teams that go deep had guys on the bench who stepped up for 4-5 games when needed. And I'm not talking about all the glamour guys. Your team has a all pro in the trenches and he goes down that affects outcomes of games if his back-up is crap.

Do the Steelers have depth??? The dream is not to need it but next to impossible that all your big guns go an entire season without some problems. When the Steelers look like they are Playoff bound I freak out over injuries. Tell you what really sucks is when your SB contending team loses it star QB week 1. Not sure but I think that has happened a few times over the years.

• Like Like x 1