1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Ben with Kenny Pickett on footbahlin!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 21, 2023.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Most overblown story of the year thus far.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Those 10% beers they were sampling loosened his tongue a bit. If you watched the whole episode, he was extremely complimentary of Kenny, said he was a fan that cheered for him now and that he thinks he's the future of the franchise.

Acctually enjoyed the whole episode and Ben is getting better and better at this Podcast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It got Benny out of the crypt. And we haven't even lost a game yet!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Yawn

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I took it more of Ben still being a bit competitive. Like, he didn’t want to get this new stud in who quickly shined a light on how Ben’s final years were not up to par if the kid was slinging it around and looked like a marvel.

Maybe also a bit of - not exactly missing the rigors of the grind by any means (as he said) to get through a season but, even the highest character guys would probably miss the adulation of 60k screaming fans. So, it’s human nature to maybe be a bit stung that the people are sending the cheers that used to be yours to the new “Guy” now.

Once Kenny started to earn it, it was probably easy for Ben to slip back to fan mode and supporting his former teammates, coaches, fans and the new dudes wear the Black and Gold - as he said. I’ll take him at his word on that.

Ben was always considered by some to be a bit of a diva, so him struggling with the new dude in his position under center was not a shocker at all. He shook off that pettiness pretty quick he says and I’m believing him.

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben just saying something to get people to listen to his podcast.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The fact that Bradshaw called all his plays, to this day still blows my mind how good he was at it.

Really enjoy watching this show with how mature Kenny is and how Ben has also matured and is more humble he was.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Remember that play well, there was no stopping Franco on that play. He had fire in his eyes, you can just imagine if Franco ran that way on every play, but for him to play that long, he kept himself from injury for the most part and many runs ended with him not getting hit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There was a joke years ago that Franco and Jim Brown had a 10 yard dash race

But Franco ran out of bounds at the 9

10. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It's shocking on the surface, but if you actually think about it and reflect, it's just human nature. And it's not like he's still harboring these feelings, he's moved on and over them. Can't say that I'd think any differently. It isn't personal, it's just comes from your own insecurities.

If you break up with a girlfriend, and you hear a week later that she's dating someone else, you're 100% hoping the relationship ends in disaster. You may not say it out loud and you may be cordial to her when you see her, but you're hoping that relationship goes down in flames. And usually over time, you move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    There is a story out there that the Steelers asked Joe Paterno what the difference between Lydell Mitchell and Franco was. Paterno said, "ask them both to run through a wall, Mitchell would run straight ahead and do it. Franco would go examine the wall, find its weakest spot, and run through it. The 70s Steelers were loaded with smart players. Today's game doesn't allow for players to think for themselves, even though RPOs are helping to fix that somewhat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    butt sore.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why are y'all feeling the troll? The only good reason to respond to a Benny thread is to throw a thread Benny has been ducking back in their face.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You mean like this one:
    http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/why-did-we-pass-on-malik-willis.29691/
    Or this one:
    http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/watt-not-among-the-finalist-for-mvp.30292/
    Or this one:
    http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/t...is-a-pro-bowler-why-cant-kenny-be-oroy.30186/

There are just so many

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben is not the only one with that take. It’s a competitive spirit, you don’t want the new guy to outshine you. Doesn’t matter if it’s professional sports or turning wrenches. Selfishly, we don’t want to be forgotten when we move on. The silver lining is, Ben’s a Steeler and wants his past teammates and his team to do well. So do his kids. It was cool to see them want to high five Kenny.

All the media that didn’t take the full clip just to make a headline, intentionally did so. There’s nothing controversial about what he said.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

He sure did run out of bounds a lot, but probably saved many, many hits.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ben was like that, I think he did the same with Mason Rudolph and mostly ignored him. He seemed to not want any threats to him. Yet in his podcast he said when coming off the field he would always talk to the backup QB's Batch and Landry Jones. Guess he didn't think they were threats. Very rarely that he talked with Mason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben was being selfish just like Favre. And, hopefully, Pickett can turn out like Rodgers.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think it’s human nature to not want your successor to outperform you, in any profession. You want to be missed and I guess kudos to Ben in one sense for being honest about his feelings. But, I think Ben can be a bit on the petulant side and I believe wholeheartedly that his unwillingness to help mentor Mason Rudolph hindered his development. Ben acted a little like a spoiled brat when Mason was drafted.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I left every position I had making sure I did everything I could to make sure my successor was set up to do well

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe Mason didn’t have much to say

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Minus the constant "retirement/unretirement" talk. :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

If we are talking about your average starter, I would agree. However, as for Superstar players like Franco Harris?! Strongly disagree. For that matter, part of what makes players like him so special is their ability to dictate which course of action is best without input from assistance; as you described. Players like Mahomes, Burrow, Tyreek Hill, Jalen Ramsey, TJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Travis Kelce and even Offensive Lineman (per the methods to execute said blocking assignments) in Trent Williams and Quenton Nelson all showcase that such an ideology is here to stay. As you said;

Great players find ways to win as their drive to win will give them the best possible outcome. For that matter, even though Kenny had an up and down Rookie Season, back to back game winning drives within the final minute of each to me showcased he does possess that special "it factor" to go along with his skillset. He does not have the complete package like a Mahomes or even a Trevor Lawrence but for the Steelers.. he doesn't have to. Him growing, harnessing and utilizing that clutch capability when it is needed most is what will be critical of him come year two for while the driving force will still be heavily dependent on the Running Game, Kenny will have to make plays with his arm; crucial points within a game no les.

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Extended his career also.

If anything, while it did not show nearly as much, Najee Harris was starting to do this at the turning point of the second half of the season. This is yet another reason why I was shocked Najee was available to Pittsburgh in 2021 as he had no business falling as far as he did. Najee is an instinctive, versatile runner and not the "battering ram" so many made him out to be. He can be but his best work is finding weaknesses and exploiting them as he runs; similar to what Franco Harris did.

For a more conventional "battering ram", Jaylen Warren is a much better choice. For that matter, him bulking up is what is likely the Steelers plans for him this time around. I would still feel even better about a third Running Back option however.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016

What the heck are you talking about, Willis? You need to re-read my post. The context being that Franco was a smart player and in general, players today do not get that opportunity.

• Like Like x 1