1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

RJ Bowers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, May 23, 2023.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Lived 2 minutes from me...We called him Star J...In a tiny town like ours, he was bigger than life...Great Baseball, Football Player...And pretty good at Hoops too...

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I watched him play at Grove City college a few times. He was just so big the D3 defenders couldn't bring him down. When he left there he was the all time leading rusher in college history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Ya...I think he played at like #255 in College, Playing D 3..He was as big as his OL...

* He got drafted out of HS to play professional Baseball...He lasted 3-4 years in the minors, and then went to Football at about 23 -24 years old...If I remember correctly

4. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017

• Like Like x 2
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    RJ Bowers lives in a town near where I work now, he came in and bought a new truck off me years ago.

I didn't recognize him of course. I asked his name. He was like RJ Bowers. I'm like the guy who had the NCAA rushing record at Grove City and played for the Steelers.
    He was like you have to be a true Steelers fan to know I actually played for the Steelers.

Super really nice guy, last I knew he was living near Tidioute, PA but I don't know if he has moved away since or not.

To date he is the only former Pittsburgh Steelers player who I have sold a vehicle to.

A good friend and customer of mine holds a golf outing every year, and RJ Bowers and Louis Lipps are friends of his and they usually show up to the event and play golf. Both are nice guys.

But, we don't have a ton of famous former athletes up here in the Northwest, PA corner of the state.

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    My son-in-law sold a car in Grove City to Mike Tomczak. When Tomczak came in to pick up his car my son-in-law brought a football from home for Tomczak to sign. He told Tomczak that he didn't want to bother him but he would like his autograph on the football if he didn't mind. Tomczak said "Hell yes I'll sign it, I'm just glad someone remembers who I am!"

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The rumor was that the old farmers went by a house and if Tidi was in they kept going, if Tidi was out they stayed. More and more stayed so the name stayed as well. lol. Probably the most famous name (outside of Erie) from the area is John Heisman (going way back), he was a football coach at Titusville. Franklin had a D back play for the Falcons in the 70's, Titusville (my school) had a guy drafted from Edinboro to the Browns and he made the team, played a total of 4 years for them and the Pats. Erie of course had Biletnikoff and James Conner, a few PBA stars and of course the Carr brothers lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You don’t have a ton of humans up there

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1