1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph resigning with Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, May 15, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What he did in Chicago helps us properly evaluate him. I never said he was awesome in Chicago, but he was better than Rudolph has ever shown as a pro and it's not close.

I ripped him for his performance against the Ravens. They couldn't run that day and asking him to carry the offense against a defense that good is asking for trouble. It wasn't the first stinker of his career, either, but Rudolph has managed to fit in a few of those in his limited opportunities.

Do you see me writing that either guy should be a starter for the Steelers? No, you do not. They shouldn't. What I am right about is that Trubisky is better than Rudolph. When you look at their pro careers, last preseason, and the way the Steelers seem to value both players, that is clearly true. That Rudolph had to come crawling back to the Steelers for what is reportedly the league minimum for a player with his experience tells us that the rest of the league sees him as a scrub, too.

You are welcome to ignore all the evidence and argue that Rudolph is better. You would be wrong, but that's not unusual. Your attempts to misrepresent the facts by cutting out the ones that don't fit your argument, however, are another matter entirely.

2. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    That seals what Mason said in the interview. No greener grass anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If he makes the team and never dresses, still a nice payday and adds another year to the pension..I'd put off my next career for a year like that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    What's the numbers?

5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'm sure he's embarrassed by not getting any offers and had to crawl back to the Steelers to take the league minimum but getting a million dollar paycheck takes the sting out of being embarrassed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    I sure hope that the only time we see Trubisky this year is when he comes in late in the game to hand the ball off because we are up by 3 touchdowns.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    So Mason said several teams wanted to sign him. But I just seen its a one year contract at 1.05 million. Ummmm was not aware other teams could offer less than vet minimum.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph's pathetic attempt to save face just makes him look even worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I watched Trubisky in Chicago as I lived in the area. I prefer Rudolph over him if you have a decent o- line. Mason is a lot more accurate than Trubisky . Trubisky is more mobile. If you liked Kordell better than Tommy Maddox, then Trubisky is your guy. I like my QB to hit 5 and ten yard outs on a consistent basis, and Trubisky cannot do that. He’s not accurate and doesn’t anticipate well. He will run around and occasionally give you broken plays that turn into first downs but you cannot build your offense around that. Remember, his ineptitude got Kenny his first start. Rudolph had no OL or running game when he started. Duck could do marginally better because he could run around and buy time, but that too did not last.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph doesn't hit 10-yard outs consistently. That is one of the areas that his relative lack of arm strength comes into play. Even his deep ball isn't really a function of arm strength. It is the touch he puts on the ball. There are parts of the field defenses don't have to worry about with Rudolph taking the snaps. That isn't the case with Trubisky, who is erratic, but he can at least make all the throws.

Look at the career numbers. Trubisky isn't just more mobile. His passing numbers are better, too.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

in other words, the League knows what we do - he ain't all that.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yep

they both suck, i prefer neither on the roster. the Steelers just like to settle on back-up QB's, they have shown this since Charlie Batch moved on. It is a Tomlin problem, IMO.

there are / were plenty of veterans that could better fill the #2 spot. as for #3, it's just paperwork, at this point.

i have made this case for years. it is the Tomlin way.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There are plenty of valid reasons to criticize Tomlin, but this isn't one of them. Trubisky's resume is actually comparable to Batch's when he first came to the Steelers. They like to settle? Nonsense. Maybe you think they make poor choices, but what you wrote simply isn't true.

Give us specific examples. What veteran quarterback is available who is a better No. 2 than Trubisky? What available quarterback is a better No. 3 than Rudolph?

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's funny that most people that are from that area, or watch a lot of the Bears say the exact same thing. Yet people that barely have actually watched Him say the opposite. :shrug:

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m reading it that they were offerythe same so why not go where you are familiar and your house happens to be

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I swear STD can rate a post faster than I can finish thinking it :smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They traded up to take him second overall and he didn't turn into a franchise quarterback. Of course they are down on him. That doesn't mean he isn't better than Rudolph, which he clearly is by all relevant measures.

It's funny to me that you can be a Steelers fan and not realize that Rudolph sucks.

18. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    The answer to your last 2 questions is none, nada, zip.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's funny. I only get on here at lunch break, and after I'm done with everything at night.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'd like Kyle Trask on the roster....., but right now He doesn't have enough experience to be a great backup....Not yet.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bump

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Now you are going to confuse everyone. :ninja:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He got me but I got a good laugh out of it.