1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

steelers cheap?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, May 22, 2023.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    was reading this article and thought what the heck.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...31&cvid=e8937a9d9eae493aa02983c3d3f683ab&ei=9

we dable in UDFA's quite a bit i always thought. warren was a steal. prior years we have had a lot of them. heck for awhile 3/5 of our o-line were UDFA's. as i said warren, pierre currently are. there are a few on the 89 players that we have now. i'm not sure i agree with this guy. didn't the last place team go to the super bowl and the afc championship game the last two years? :cool:

Last edited: May 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with you Mac, let's see if they can do it in the NFL first then they will be compensated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Personally, if the Steelers are considered cheap in this aspect, then meh. Sure there's UFDA's that do indeed make it in this league, but the vast majority of them simply don't. If they make the team and have a solid year, for what they are, then by all means work out a deal in March to extend them a few years and give them a nice signing bonus. I don't see a need to push an UFDA market value, just for the sake of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    actually the UDFA's make it at a better rate then many of the mid to later round draft picks. there was a few article's about this. something like 1/3 of the players on nfl teams are from the UDFA pool. they do keep cost down. why would a team want to pay a premium if they don't have to? if they are getting good results without doing it, that should be a good thing.

another thing is we have been adding players that have a year or two in NFL settings and already have seen the speed of the game and have some nfl coaching. again that is a better type of player to go after one would think. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Keep them hungry

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    with the usfl and xfl now in full swing, it just helps the cause. these fringe guys get a little more exposure to the pro game and it's like a minor league pool to pick from. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Agree. I also like the fact that they implemented the rookie wage scale.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Spend the money on duct tape

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Isn't that what they did when they brought in these new ILB's? Might as well be duct tape.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Holcomb is quite a good linebacker.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It's up to an agent to negotiate these things, if a team offers a bonus then the kid can go to the highest bidder, but the leg work for that stuff is laid out before the draft. A team contacts the players they are interested in and states if they are not drafted they would be interested in signing them...unless they have a solid offer of bonus cash in front of them I would not hesitate cuz those roster spots go quickly. If these guys make a roster and stick around they probably can make out better than the lower draft picks. They all probably make the minimum the first couple of years, but UDA's are given conditional FA after 3 years. So the team has to put a guaranteed tender on them for a year, the lowest tender alone if around 2.5 million, so if they work, develop and produce a 4 year stay with a team can easily be worth 5 million or more to them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm not doubting either Holcolm or Elander of their capabilities. But they're likely stop-gaps/duct tape until Robinson is ready and the Steelers draft an ILB. Nothing really wrong with that. But who knows, they could start the next 5ish years and make me look like an idiot (wouldn't be the first time).

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    holcomb is only 26. roberts is 29. holcomb should be more long term i would think. depends what they do with muse. he's only 26 as well. curry knows him fairly well. just depends what this defense looks like in different packages. seems they took this position in a different way than we have been used to. they gutted the whole room, coach included. time will tell. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1