1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph resigning with Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, May 15, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The front Office had to learn something during the year Ben went down and they had traded away their #3 QB Josh Dobbs.

Keep 3 quality QBs on the roster, and then you are prepared for the future.

This team is built to win with an average QB at the helm; we don't need to count on 300 yard passing games and 30 points to win this year.

I still believe the Steelers were looking at 3 QBs to get late in the draft. They had dinner with Stetson at Georgia, and they had pre-draft visits with Tune and Hall. Unfortunately the Steelers were without their 5th and 6th round picks, and by the time they made their pick in the 7th all 3 of their choices were gone.

Round 4, Pick 128: Stetson Bennett, Georgia
    Round 5, Pick 139: Clayton Tune, Houston
    Round 5, Pick 164: Jaren Hall, BYU

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Context?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm surprised Rudolph couldn't find a job with another team, you have teams like the Rams or Cardinals their QB depth isn't great.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The tweet they were responding to was saying Mason's signing means Mitch to be traded. I said way back on page 1 that it would be the point a lot of people will make even though there is no there there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Yeah the teams that had Trubisky didn't want Him back. And No most people don't think Lamar Jackson is good. Most have Him no higher ranked than 7th, and many don't have him in the top 10 anymore. That is not considered very good....especially for a guy going into His (5th, or 6th year:shrug:). Hell a lot of Raven fans didn't want Him back.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1st....If I sounded smart a$$ it wasn't My intention.
    2nd.....If Trubisky has to go out on the field....I will be rooting for Him. As long as He wears the Black, and Gold.
    3 rd.....With what We seen with the 49ers, Ravens, Steelers, Miami, Arizona, Saints, and others last year.......I believe having the best backups at the position is very very very important IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s called free agency dude. Players move from team to team all the time, they key being that other teams want them. Except Rudolph, no one wanted him but the team he was trying to get away from. He’ll be out of the NFL when the Steelers are done with him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmmm:hmm:. The Bears traded 4 draft picks for Him just to let Him leave in free agency????
    Anyway I said I was done arguing.....So Im sorry My Friend. :thumbs_up:

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agreed. I will be curious to see if the Steelers throw their hat in the ring, if Willis is looking for a Practice Squad spot at the end of Preseason.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Players move from team to team all the time :shrug:

And you are applying an argument to me that I am not making, that no one has been making. No one is saying Trubisky is a good QB just that he is better than Rudolph. That was proven beyond a doubt when not one team gave Rudolph a job even as a backup. Each time Trubisky hit free agency her turned it into a starting job.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The whole Willis story is media driven, nothing out of Titans camp saying he will be cut. He’s certainly not being cut now, they will let him compete in camp and go from there.

I don’t know the cap implications for cutting Tannenhill so that may be a non starter but as far as the future goes he offers nothing. From that standpoint the Titans would be stupid to cut Willis when Levis is far from a sure thing. Let both those guys develop and keep all three. Start Levis, have a competent backup in Tannehill and let Willis continue to develop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Must of been a gut punch when you say you don’t want to be back, then in free agency you get not one call, so you come crawling back and the ball is definitely not in your court

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    138 posts on the signing of a third string quarterback! Guys we need to get a life.
    Reindeer had no value to other teams. If he did, someone would have signed him. He has some value to the Steelers because he knows the system. He will be number 3 but could actually end up the number 2 quarterback if someone has a sudden need for Mitch and the Steelers trade him. Might get a fifth rounder if they’re lucky.

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am part of the crowd who believes the Titan's trading up to use the #33 pick in the draft screams Willis is gone. That is as close to a 1st round pick you can get.

I am assuming that Will Levis was drafted to be Tannehill's replacement after his contract expires in 2023. From a roster standpoint everyone is assuming the Titans will only keep 2 QBs on their 53 man roster.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Rudolph had 4 years to earn it. 4 years in the building to show what he can do. Seriously dude, do you think the team wouldn’t have been thrilled to roll with the guy who was already on the roster? Why would they go a different direction if they didn’t know that Rudolph wasn’t the guy? Why would they do that? Are they idiots? The front office and coaching staff had a good track record when it came to evaluating their own roster players, so no, that’s not the case.

If there was an edge going into the competition, the advantage was for Rudolph as the guy who had already been there for 4 years. Whether Trubisky or Rudolph would be a better #2 QB is subjective. We disagree on that, and that’s fine. But, saying that there was an unfair competition that was rigged against Rudolph is just flat out wrong. If anything, the competition going in favored him as the guy already in the house.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I couldn't bury any physical part of you anywhere. I don't even know where you live. I'm also not sure where to find any quicksand, so...

Rhetorically and metaphorically, I buried you in this argument long ago and in every way. I think one other poster has ever bought into your foolish notion of ignoring most of Trubisky's career, and I think part of that is he just likes to argue with me. For some reason, I bring that out in people. :)

Steel_Elvis nailed it. Trubisky is nothing more than a decent backup, but he is clearly better than Rudolph. That said, I'm happy to have those two behind Pickett.

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ummm

This message board is a part of life

I have a great life and it includes this

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    OC and backup QBs.... the constant whipping post and scapegoat for Steelers fans.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is also this time of year. We are all a little bored and some of us, myself included, really like to argue.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Bush and Edmunds are gone, too. There's nobody on the current D roster to gripe about yet.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah one was a 3rd pick, and one was a very very high 1st round pick. You don't think that matters???
    Hell You know it does. Just like Anthony Richardson will get way more opportunities than Kyle Trask. Even though Kyle Trask was a way better Qb. So let's not pretend.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah one being a 3rd round pick, and another being a 1st has nothing to do with it....LoL.....because We have never seen 1st round picks get way way more opportunities than 3rd round picks .....just because of where they are picked. Am I lying????
    It's funny when I say.... blind test as a Steeler. ....
    Qb 1....2 -3 record ...4tds, and 5 ints.
    QB 2.....5-4-1 record ....16 tds , and 11 ints.
    Who do You take???? Nobody answers. They just give this long-winded crap. LoL. Why because they know if they didn't know who each was they wouldn't be picking Trubisky.
    No they will talk about Chicago.....the team that gave up 4 picks for Him, and Let Him go. LoL.
    Will it make You say P.P is a the better CB if He sucks here....just because of what He did before??? LoL :lolol:

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't understand anyone not thinking backup Qbs don't matter. All You have to do is just go back to last year. Ravens, 49ers, Titans, Eagles, Miami, Steelers, and many more had to use their backup Qbs, and some teams went more than 3 deep on Qbs. It's a very important topic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See gotta throw in someone who agrees with You....again.....isn't that right honey....LoL. Funny no matter who has agreed with Me on any topic....I don't bring them into My argument, but You've done it twice on just this topic. Weak. LoL . I said it was like the Guy who always turns to His wife for agreement (isn't that right honey)....You know what I'm talking about .....We have all known people like that, but now I'm thinking is more like that boy that says.....I'll get My big brothers.....LoL

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We are far enough into the careers of both players that the round in which they were drafted is no longer relevant.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1