1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph resigning with Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, May 15, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. Just because Trubisky is better doesn't mean bringing back Rudolph isn't a good idea. I think he's a fine option as their No. 3. Hell, I wouldn't even hate him as their No. 2, but clearly the rest of the league sees him as worse than that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes. They signed him off Denver's practice squad.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL :lolol:

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    As a Steeler Trubisky is better. Really what backs that up ??
    The more ints than Tds. The more losing than winning???
    I don't need two paragraphs....just a simple answer. Just speaking(writing) louder, and longer doesn't make a person correct. So a simple answer.
    As a Steeler
    Trubisky: 2-3 record...4tds and 5 ints.
    Rudolph : 5-4-1 record...16 Tds, and 11 ints.
    Pretty simple. :shrug:

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s that racist slur he called Myles Garrett. :rolleyes::facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The signing of Rudolph is much ado about nothing. He only dressed for one game last year and never took a snap and unlikely will see the field this season. For him though this is a pretty good gig standing on the sidelines and collecting a nice fat paycheck.

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He was #4.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Translation: You've got nothing. Thanks for playing.

By the way, wasn't it you who tried insisting that Rudolph wasn't benched for Hodges and got that factually wrong?

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Not to mention he gets some fans defending the foolish notion that he was somehow robbed of an opportunity by the team.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I give you thorough answers. If you can't keep up, that's your problem.

Get your facts right. I didn't argue that Trubisky was better as a Steeler during the regular. Either you misread my post or you are misrepresenting it on purpose. I demonstrated that he was better during the preseason last year, which is part of why Tomlin's decision to start him and dump Rudolph down to the third string was absolutely the right one. The other reason is that unlike you, he understands that the proper way to evaluate a player is based on his entire career.

Just as any reasonable person would, I reject your premise that it is valid to restrict ourselves to only Trubisky's time as a Steeler while using Rudolph's entire pro resume. That approach is invalid, incomplete, and inaccurate.

The numbers that matter are those for their entire pro careers.

Trubisky: Team Record is 34-21. The completion percentage is 64.2 percent. 11,904 yards, 6.7 yards per attempt, 68 touchdowns (3.9 percent), and 43 interceptions (2.4 percent). One playoff appearance.
    Rudolph: Team record 5-4-1. Completion percentage 61.4. 2,366 yards, 6.2 yards per attempt, 16 touchdowns (4.2 percent), 11 interceptions (2.9 percent). No playoff appearances.

Trubisky is better in almost every measure. Rudolph has a slight edge in touchdown percentage, but remember it is harder to maintain better percentages over a much larger number of passing attempts.

This leaves out that Trubisky is a much better runner. Trubisky is averaging five years per carry for his career. Rudolph averages two.

Notice I included ratios to be fair to Rudolph because the counting statistics are overwhelmingly in Trubisky's favor. He has actually earned a starting job in the league, something Rudolph has never done. Unlike you, I'm going for a fair and accurate analysis. You prefer leaving out any information that doesn't fit your chosen narrative.

See, I'm not writing louder than you. I'm writing better. I'm making a better argument. I'm providing better information. It helps that the facts are on my side and all you've got is this ridiculous argument that most of Trubisky's pro career should be thrown out.

11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Remember they had Haskins as well when Mitch was brought in. Fully think he was brought in as a bridge guy all the way and someone was getting cut.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i want witch ever backup is going to be beneficial to kenny pickett the most on gameday. :cool:

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

That 5 years per carry sure is sssssssllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Oops. Typos do happen. Of course, that is five yards per carry. Though he really didn't run much last season, Trubisky has proven over the course of his career that he is far more mobile than Rudolph.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Rudolph is a good option as 3rd QB. I just don’t get the romantic views that some fans have about Mason. He’s not better than Mitch, and it’s really not close. Mitch failed to live up to his draft status in a big way, but as a backup QB he’s better than most. Rudolph is just Ok. The rest of the league obviously thought so. This looks remarkably like Edmunds being brought back for another season last year. I remember a Rudolph fan using the fact that Edmunds couldn’t get a good deal elsewhere as evidence of how bad he was:

“How many NFL players are what You described Edmunds to be....nobody wants??? Again because (not My opinion...facts)...nobody wanted Him....so He crawled back here for scraps.”

This is Mason this year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I have no dog in this fight. Just thought it was funny.

Trubisky, Rudolph, doesn't really matter at this point. Both of them are very weak QB's especially in the AFC. If KP8 doesn't show promise then the Steelers are in a world of hurt and will be looking to 2024 and back to the drawing board. I kind of laugh at the argument of who is better between Mitch and Mason as if it actually matters. Neither of the two are probably good for 3 wins in this league anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Just think if they trade Mitch, Rudolph becomes the #2 and they sign Duck for the #3

Could be Deja Vu...And hopefully they would only have mop up / clipboard duties...

Those questioning Pickett I don't get. He came on at the end of last season and I expect a big jump forward from him and i believe he will.

The real question can Canada handle this offense now? They should be balanced, physical. Can he manage the play calling to put this possible juggernaut in the right position to succeed? Hopefully Glenn Thomas takes some off of his plate. This is my worry.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    OMG let's not even go there lol. The never got a chance line. The comments I read after Tee Martin was let go, "He lead a team to a national championship, even Peyton couldn't do that! We never gave him a chance!" I understand some teams actually miff on guys, happens to everyone..but after 5 years and then no one else showing an interest I think we know who he is. Remember Landry Jones was the highlight signing of a forgotten spring league in Texas! MR did not even get that! Lol

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Myles Garrett is a racial slur

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Haters hate

I’m a Penn State fan and even I want the Pitt guy to be outstanding because now he is a Steeler

• Like Like x 2
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    1 team wanted mason. 3 teams now don't think mitch is the guy. take that for what it is. :smiley1::cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that. It was funny.

I'm not sure it matters all that much in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully, the only time either guy sees the field this year is late in some blowout victories. You are right that the Steelers are definitely in some trouble if Pickett doesn't play well, but I think they can get by with Trubisky or Rudolph for a game or two if necessary.

23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Trubisky and Rudolph are a decent #2 and #3. It could be a lot worse. Trubisky has a lot of starting experience and Rudolph has been with the Steelers for 5 seasons. Not quite Batch and Leftwich, but not horrible by any stretch.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Seems I share the same thought process as some of the beat writers, not if that is good, scary, or alarming.

25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Now who on the board writes like that I wonder :hmm: :lolol:

As I have predicted before, Rudolph will follow the same path as Landry. Trubisky if let go will be picked up by another NFL team.

Trubisky > Rudolph. Thats not saying much though.