1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph resigning with Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, May 15, 2023.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    OMG! Can they just move on from the guy? I mean He's marginally better than Mitch, but obviously no one else wanted him in the open market at any price, so why bring him back at this point instead of bringing another younger guy along?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Free agency can be harsh. Rudolph found out what the rest of the league thinks of him.

His choices, XFL or come back to the Steelers.

As a number three it makes sense, don’t have to worry about a very raw rookie learning the playbook, Mason will be ready to go should things go that badly with 1 & 2.

And if he works his way into the number 2 spot, so be it, may the best man win.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yea, the OP said, "my guess he is either trade capital..." every team had a couple of months to sign him, who in their right mind would trade for him? I guess if a team was on their 5th option it might work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If would offer some flexibility if some deluded team like say the Texans needed a QB and made an offer for Mitch. Although I'm sure there will be several responses in this thread about why didn't they do this pre-draft so they could deal Mitch for a 5th or 6th round pick. These guys have value to the system but not much beyond.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yes, a Quality 3rd string QB, and maybe a challenge to Mitch at 2nd.

If the Steelers signed him to the 4 year Player Qualifying Contract his cap hit would only be $1 million.

Next up Derek Watt.

7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Yeah there is zero "trade capital " with Rudolph. Free agency was brutal for him. No one wanted him and certainly no one is going to trade for him

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The 49ers are going to regret not signing him as their #7 QB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 12
    • Like Like x 3
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I don't understand the animosity for the man. Sure, he never worked out like many of us thought he would but he is still a quality backup option. For that matter, his signing clears up yet another major woe on the team as well. Slot CB and ILB still remain the big depth issues.

Hopefully some pickups are available by the end of the preseason for the team to pickup.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Honestly, this isn't terrible news. I consider him a serviceable back up that knows the playbook and right now this team is very thin at the position. The unfortunate Haskins tragedy left us with very little options. Let's just hope KP8 can be the real deal steal. If not, it's back to the drawing board in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Championship!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Trubisky > Rudolph

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    no worries mate, last year demonstrated that Pickett can flick it, playoffs? playoffs. I think next year we are a playoff team, i like how this team is developing

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It was the same with Landry as well. They were taken in the middle rounds and tier one guys so the expectations shouldn't have been as great as they were. In my honest opinion both Jones and Rudolph weren't the preferred option for the team when they did get a shot and they preformed like it. I still go back to Tomlin's comment of not looking to reinvent the wheel when they lost Ben for almost the entire season. So they tried to force square pegs into round holes instead of embracing what they had. It didn't work so well. I'm sure the Pittsburgh faithful will rake him over the coals for saying he was done.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    The market has spoken. Clearly no other teams see his worth so why would we?

16. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022

I wonder what type contract he was asking from teams. Teams can struggle with getting experience backups, I am surprised he didn't get an offer unless he priced himself out of the market.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said long before He was coming back. Maybe this time they will allow a real competition for the 2nd string. Bye-bye Mitchell.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Familiarity and serviceability.

Mason knows the system and Pittsburgh benefits by filling up a major need.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

True.

However, even having a backup plan towards a backup is always the safe play. Should a team be down two QBs, they often have to get real creative. As far as I know, Pittsburgh has been the only team to use a 3 QB since 2000. Could easily be wrong here but I feel that covers quite a bit of bases.

Granted, the game may already be lost but at least you have someone that can at least be efficient enough to run the offense to the team a fighting chance.

20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Mitch did make one crazy completion that saved a game coming off the bench, don`t remember off hand which game.

Rudolph could win "Best Looking Backup QB in the NFL" award.

We are stacked at backup QB, LOL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  21. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    They're are a number of reasons, actually.

He fits in a run heavy team. That run heavy team can't be one that relies on the QB to do a lot of the running.

He might have a shot at the #2 spot. He's more likely to sign with a team where he thinks he can be more than#3.

Remember that not all 32 teams carry 3 QBs on their roster. He's not going to sign with a team that already has an established starter and backup so he can get on their practice squad. A guy who's 3rd string on the active roster gets paid a lot more than a practice squad guy.

We can't make assumptions that the Steelers were the only team to show interest. Of the teams that did show interest, the Steelers were obviously the team that Rudolph believed best suited his needs/wants.

I'm glad to have him back. He's probably the best 3rd string QB in the league, and possibly better than half the 2nd string QBs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Best deep ball on the team

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This makes sense for a #3 given the Steeler circumstance. Like others said, he knows the system and terminology. Hopefully it's a non issue.

The only issue I could potentially see is in the locker room which I think he's done fine with in the past so not too worried there.

24. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Maybe. By so little it’s negligible. Almost impossible to measure except for their cap hit. One guy will be paid fair and one guy is absorbing far more of the cap space than he’s actually worth. I can think of many more places it would have been used to greater effect.

Should have let Mitch walk a long time ago if he didn’t want restructure and extend his deal befitting the talent he’s displayed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. JD86

JD86 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Glad to have him back, I will never understand the hate this guy gets. But, it seems yinzers as far back as I remember always have to have at least one QB on the roster they just purely hate. I started watching around 85 when I was a kid and can name one for each year lol. Hell, they threw batteries at Terry Bradshaw and even hung him in effigy so I guess that makes anyone fairgame. Oh well, welcome back Mason.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1