1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Andy Weidl Says Steelers Will Be Going Back To Their Roots

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 5, 2023.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Ok I’ll give you that but not everyone can implement a pass happy offense efficiently, especially late in the season or in the post season. Look at the Bills. One of the best teams but when they get in the playoffs they faulted. Why do they faulted...I believe it is the same reason the Steelers did when we had the Killer B’s...lack of a balanced offense and turnovers. The Chiefs and Patriots were able to dominate with a pass happy offense but if you look at their offenses they were well balanced and were able to go to ball control and smash mouth when needed and they didn’t turn the ball over. The safer way to build a team is with a ball control run game and a dominate defense. It also is the best system to groom a young QB under. I believe Pickett is the type of QB who can thrive in that environment and he will get better each year because he is a student of the game. A pass happy offense right now would ruin him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    They have to establish an effective running game.

I don't think it will ever go cowbell numbers Jerome Bettis and Leveon Bell did. I could be wrong.

In today's passing NFL the ball does need to be in the air with points scored. That's where Kenny and company come in. I'd like to see them dominate the time of possession again.

I'm excited I think coaches and players will break out this year. That could just be the blindly optimistic side in me but we'll see.

It

• Like Like x 2
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It really comes down to points scored, and those points better be TD's. You can have great drives that give you a great time of Possession advantage, but if your O is only getting 18 points a game you are still asking a lot of your D. If we add a TD to that total that would have put our O at number 8 in scoring last year instead of 26. I know the breakdowns are far more complicated and I am not saying that alone is even close to 'elite', but it is also very doable and puts the team in a far better position to succeed. Now add a FG to that TD, and if you can do that consistently you would be number 3 in scoring O. If our D can eliminate one FG a game we would be near the top in scoring D.

I know weaker schedules and all of that, but the jump to from mediocre to decent it not that much, decent to top not that much greater. We have been mediocre the last few years, I think getting to consistently competitive is not blindly optimistic, getting to those elite numbers maybe, but like you I'm excited to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I would agree with this if it wasn’t so foolishly wrong

3 quarterbacks went in the first round this year

The third Anthony Richardson taken as the 4th pick with a 6.4 draft prospect grade

Pickett’s grade was the same 6.4

Will Levis who was taken Round 2 Pick 2 graded a rating of 6.34 well below Pickett

Please don’t post :bscow: just to fit your agenda

Last edited: May 13, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    2021 QB draft picks in first round below. These QBs have had two seasons to prove themselves. Trevor Lawrence got a new HC to help him improve in 2022. With the other four, all picked higher than Pickett, who would they take over Pickett starting for the Steelers.

1 Trevor Lawrence
    2 Zack Wilson
    3 Trey Lance
    11 Justin Fields
    15 Mac Jones

• Like Like x 2
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Good perspective

But the haters won’t let facts get in their way

The ExKidAnalyst had extreme difficulty comprehending this

Last edited: May 13, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

True.

Big Ben was a HOF QB but not early on to do such great HOF things like Peyton Manning nor Tom Brady during his younger years in the NFL. Pittsburgh had to adapt to those titan level QBs as well (Big Ben also rapidly ascending into his Franchise QB status his second year the same) for them to compete in the AFC; two Super Bowl wins a result of such a plan. I would imagine the same methodology is being applied here for Pickett. Beef up both Interior Lines and play smash mouth football while having Kenny Pickett develop gradually on what to do vs. what to do as the season moves along.

Expecting Kenny Pickett to win games with his arm at this point in his career on a consistent basis is not reasonable. Yes, this league is *far more* throw happy than any point during the 2005 season but the Running Game will always play a big benefit in the NFL; no matter any era. Hell, just because teams like the 49ers and Eagles do not have nearly as much air based firepower like Kansas City or Cincinnati does not mean they cannot compete. Now, Kenny may have to do so at some point but not to the point of his arm being the focal point.

Kenny Pickett, to me, has Franchise QB potential. That said, to get to his potential, the Steelers have to be committed towards a form of Football that, while not celebrated by many anymore, has shown to be the most efficient method for Pittsburgh winning on a consistent basis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    lol you think pickett would have been selected in this draft at 4th overall? If so we got a tremendous steal lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Please don’t make stuff up

I was just pointing out how foolish and wrong what you stated was

Compared to this year he most definitely was a steal

How he turns out no one knows

10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I can guarantee you that Kenny Pickett will have a far better and much longer career than Anthony Richardson who was the 4th overall pick this year.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Sounds like we pretty much agree. In today's NFL, your offense had to put up points as the other side is going to. Increased time of possession means less time the other team can score. Minimize big plays and the recipe to keep your defense fresh and wear their's down.

Of course this an old philosophy nothing new.

12. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    guarantee huh?

13. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    AR is lightning fast, so you know the Colts make will make him a dual threat. He has an injury history since his senior year in high school. One was self inflected dancing in a hotel where he had to miss the next day college game. If I were Colts, I'd put in his contract no dancing or back-flips during the season.

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    You still here being contrary and gas lighting folks. Figured by now you would be gone.:clapping:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    He's got 42 comments and 41 of them have been slamming Pickett.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I would of thought he was a reincarnation of the KidAnalyst but he has posts from before the kid was tagged and tied

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I did the kid dirty, he waited so long to be able to gloat on draft day. Denied! :lolol:

Things got so convoluted with his posts I’m not even sure what he would have been gloating about but three QB’s taken in the first five picks would have had something to do with it I am sure.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That somehow would have been incontrovertible evidence that the Steelers reached for Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It was just getting to be too much. It went from expressing a contrary view, which is great for conversation, to pure trolling with his “no QB will be drafted before pick #20” repeated ad nauseum in thread after thread BS.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Plus He didn't honor simple bets.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would put money on it. I'm not saying He won't have a Good year ever. I'm saying when it's all said ,and done ....His career will not be impressive. The man didn't just get athletic, and fast at the combine. He has been that way , and it didn't help Him one bit in Florida, and don't tell Me Florida didn't have talent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, poor egg.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    In the beginning I seriously tried to help him but he was bound and determined not to care

Then I just started to mess with him

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The pencil-pusher in me couldn't resist throwing that one at him. To be fair, it's a very obscure reference.

• Like Like x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A0357F78-AB25-47E4-B4C8-A0335FCA71A6.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1