1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Andy Weidl Says Steelers Will Be Going Back To Their Roots

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 5, 2023.

1. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    No but it does not prove he won't be either. Watch his awareness in the pocket and ability to move around. He is going to be above average for sure. That much I am certain. He likes to study film and improve his craft. Working out and building muscle this year. Apparently he has put on 13lbs of muscle this off season.

Here ya go my guy. I know Kurt Warner has no clue either

Or a reminder here

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    He is trolling badly. Can't even provide an answer for his in depth analysis

3. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    lol i'm not trolling, but soon y'all wish i was .. :(

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Naa. I understand the concerns about him coming out of college, I had them too but last year he answered them all.

He can play out of structure and make unorthodox throws, he actually plays better out of structure. One of the things he has to improve on is trusting the pocket.

His grip on the ball seems to be fine, on occasion the ball will come out of his hand and be no where near the intended target but not a lot. His grip seemed ok in slippery conditions, too.

His processing hasn’t been a problem and he has command of the huddle and moments aren’t too big for him. First rookie QB to lead back to back winning drives.

Things I want to see him improve on, his pocket awareness as I already touched on, don’t flee the pocket too soon.

More TDs! Obviously, that one is a must.

Go through his progressions better, he missed some easy open guys and went elsewhere.

IMO, he will be able to do that. I think Kenny will put the league on notice this season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He played like a rookie for much of last season, but he took command of the huddle from the moment he stepped into the lineup. You are right that moments with the game on the line aren't too big for him. He faltered in a few of those early but stepped up later in the season. Those are the things I never worried about with him. It is just a matter of how well his talent and processing will translate to the NFL, and we are still in the process of seeing how that goes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Joe Montana was a career backup? I guess the same is true of Russell Wilson. Tom Brady (sixth round) and Dak Prescott (fourth) must be even worse!

There is no evidence to back up your claim that Pickett should have gone in the third round. That the other quarterbacks in the draft fell is irrelevant to his value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    How many Super Bowls did we win with a Pass Happy Offense?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hmm... while I do believe that Kenny Pickett has much to prove heading into Year Two, the amount of support he has received from both the Front Office along with his teammates will make that "Sophomore Surge" more possible than not. Again, Kenny will have to showcase his improvement for his year two leap to happen. However and, as I have been saying this whole time... Kenny was, is and will not be my biggest concern heading into 2023; Matt Canada will be.

Thankfully, with Glenn Thomas around, Canada is officially put on notice. The more Canada messes up, the more likely Thomas will receive increased input for Offensive Gameplans week to week; effectively reducing Canada's involvement all together.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    My biggest concern with Pickett is the inaccuracy at times, I like the fact that after the bye last season he only had one turnover.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Thiefery

Oct 27, 2019
    lol look i'm gonna drop this pickett thing til it's clear he needs to go or that he is the answer.. but to use montana and those other names is misleading too

what about the other QBs.. what about Rudolph, Dobbs, Dixon, Omar Jacobs.. those QBs that we drafted.. were they russell wilson, montana or brady? lol

11. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    upload_2023-5-10_14-24-36.jpeg

ben says hold my bear claw

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't forget your ... ROOTS!

13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    This NFL have changed a lot in the last 10-15 years.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I knew that would get some disagrees. Right now I'm in a wait and hold pattern with Kenny. At the moment I'm not sold on Pickett being a Bradshaw/Ben R. type that will lead us for the next 10+ years but only time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Sounds good but I haven't seen a Tomlin offense break anyone's will since Bettis. And now we've got Canada. Looking forward to seeing it, but not counting on it.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Jerome Bettis never played under a Tomlin offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  18. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Pickett's first game against the Jets he had three interceptions. Two bounced off the receivers hands, and the last was a hail mary on the last play of the game. Not all interceptions are created equally.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You made a claim about third-round picks being career backups. I gave you examples that proved you wrong. I never claimed that every third-round pick was a starter or a star. Nothing in my post was misleading.

Also, this was primarily about quarterbacks taken in the fourth round. If you are going to bring up quarterbacks taken even later, like Josh Dobbs, you should mention that as I did with Brady and Prescott. Dobbs was taken in the fourth round, not the third.

Of course, the whole thing is a moot point because you have nothing to back up your false claim that Pickett should have gone in the third round.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yup. I think one of those was a factor in them being willing to move on from Claypool. He allowed a tiny defensive back outfight him on a jump ball. It wasn't a great throw, Pickett attacked what should have been a favorable matchup and Claypool failed his quarterback on the play.

21. Thiefery

Oct 27, 2019
    Pickett goes to the 3rd round any other draft with decent QBs.. he headlined a mid class.. time will tell but the Titans are already out on their QB

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By all means, provide the evidence that supports your claim. Keep in mind that 99 percent of the mock drafts out there had him going in the first round, many of them in the top 10.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    KidAnalyst gets booted and another one pops up

hmmm

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Haven't heard from Benny for a while either. I think he is studying for another attempt to pass his GED so he can get on with his lifes work of placing ice in the urinals of the mens room at Cheerleaders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Benny hides during the off season and doesn’t show “her” head until our first loss

• Winner Winner x 1