1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 Draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Chucktownsteeler, May 8, 2023.

1. Chucktownsteeler

Chucktownsteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2022
    Way to early to tell, but my thoughts are positions of need:

1.) Safety
    2.) ILB
    3.) Center

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    1: Punter
    2: LS
    3:ST Gunner

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    1. DL
    2. ILB
    3. WR
    4. Center
    5. RT
    6. Safety
    7. CB (Slot)

But honestly it all changes over the course of a year. You don’t know who will leave, retire, or how injuries will affect the roster. You also don’t know who will step up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Agree. What we think is a relative strength ends up being a weakness. It's hard to say what will happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Too early as many have said. However, for me, I have three positions. They are as follows (per order of what Andy Weidl/Omar Kahn have shown us thus far with the 2023 Offseason Haul):

1.) Defensive Line:

Cameron Heyward clearly is approaching the end sadly. I have no doubt that a Gold Jacket is in his future. However, should he last one more season, in addition to the likes of Benton and Leal, give him another student for him to teach. Furthermore, continue to beef up the Defensive Line.

2.) Safety:

Ah yes.... arguably my favorite position in the NFL as a whole (I wonder why!! :blush:) and one of major need for the Steelers. While I can imagine that Keanu Neal is fine for some occasions, he is not going to be the long term starter here. Best to acquire one this time around.

3.) Center:

Many would argue ILB and that is also a very compelling argument. However, given how Mason Cole will be entering the final year of his contract next season, why not have a player who can be groomed to become the next potential Steelers Great at a position that has had an excellent track record since Chuck Noll took over; 7 Centers starting for the Black 'n' Gold in that time span I believe and three being HOF players (Maurkice Pouncey being HOF number three).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    This will all change based on how free agency plays out. Khan isn’t afraid to go after a player he likes. I could see us making a big splash in DA next year as we will have less needs to fill but should still have room under the cap. It just depends on three factors:

1. what positions is the draft strong in.
    2. What positions are strong in Free Agency.
    3. Position needs on the team.

I do agree that there are needs at the following positions as of right now:
    Young Stud DL to groom behind Heyward. A Slot CB. A cover Inside Linebacker. A young Safety alongside Minkah and a Center to groom behind Cole.

We will probably need to fill one of those positions if not two in FA next year. We will also have to plan for a RT and WR replacement if we don’t resign Chuks or Dionte as I believe they will be going into their last year on their contract.

• Like Like x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    As of now I would say

ILB: unless Mark Robinson takes a major leap, we still lack that dynamic guy

D-line: Cam Heyward has 2yrs left.... Need to start grooming his replacement

C: Mason Cole did an admirable job, but we need that future HOF anchor

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I could see C getting alot of attention, the last 2 years the line has gotten attention, and as you said Cole was an immediate and decent upgrade, but if they feel that generational guy is there they grab him.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I honestly wouldn't mind if a Center is the First Round Pick!! Hell, I would be all for it if that prospect is worthy of the consideration!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Another CB. LoL

11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Its all about the 'window', KP still on the rookie deal. but if he develops he is going to get paid. You keep who you can of course, but developing line and keeping it relevant is necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This is going to sound stupid but don't be surprised if another CB is in consideration. Players like Kamari Lassiter, Javon Bullard or even Joey Porter Jr's teammate in Kalen King could all be within consideration. This all said, even someone like Cooper Dejaun from the University of Iowa could be in consideration as well. Remember that Pittsburgh did send both Tomlin and Kahn there (a school that the Steelers very seldom visit). In Tomiln's Press Conference regarding Broderick Jones, he specifically mentioned about inquiring about a player from Athens who he would come back to see from a group of Georgia Players. The unanimous answer was Broderick Jones....

.... who is to say that Cooper cannot be one of those players Tomlin mentions come 2024 should he be the First Round Pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

If the new CBA has taught many, and I mean MANY NFL FOs anything... protect the damn Franchise dammit. Stop investing in these proverbial "beautiful clerks". Like a vault in the bank, the Franchise QB must be HEAVILY GUARDED. If not, best of luck.....

.... and if this current trend continues along with his style of play... Josh Allen of the Buffalo Bills is going to fizzle out much faster than he and Sean McDermontt believe. For that matter, assuming both of the aforementioned aspects continue... Allen is sadly a ticking time bomb.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    man you really LOVE CB s :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I hope it is that DL from LSU. 6’6’ 310 lbs and dominated when healthy. The defense is predicated on a dominant front seven. We got to groom the next Heyward.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Maason Smith... I agree he should be the pick...

... assuming he is there. While he will be coming off of an injury, should he return to form?!... He is a Top 15 Pick in next year's draft; no debates about it.

He is as every bit as freaky as you are going to find a 5 Tech.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If I was to take a stab at the potential 1st round pick, without knowing how 24 FA will pan out, I think the top 5 positional needs, in no particular order, is C, RG, MLB, Box S, and WR. Tons can change and those answers could end up being internal. I don't want to hype up Trice too much, because it's not often a 7th round guy is looked at as a long term solution, but this guy just seems to be that guy. It's football in shorts, but he's impressed the staff.

18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You lost me at RG. How can you ignore the Defensive Line. If you want to continue to the Standard on Defense we have to have a backup plan behind Heyward.

19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I thought this was Daniels last year. Looks like he has another year. I'm not exactly ignoring DL. I think Benton, Ogunjobi and Leal are going to be a force for the next 5+ years. Getting depth behind those three will be the key.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hope you’re right about Leal. His college tape was so inconsistent. Benton also struggled with consistency on tape in college, though his raw physical traits were 1st round caliber. Hopefully Dunbar & Co have the magic touch to get these guys playing with consistency on an every down basis.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You have a lot more faith in those Defensive Lineman than I do. None of them have proven themselves in the Steelers system as of yet. Leal is a tweener by the way. We need a Bluechip dominant guy upfront to groom behind Cam Heyward. I am hopeful Benton will develop into a solid player but I don’t see him being the next Heyward.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Karl Dunbar does have the magic touch imo provided he gets the right tools to do so. Remember that he studied under Pete Jenkins; arguably the Greatest Ever Defensive Line Coach the game of Football has ever seen. Anywhere that Karl Dunbar has gone throughout his long career, 1st Round Picks to Pro Bowls have followed him in his every wake. This all said, I do agree with you on Leal as he is the most polarizing player of the entire 2022 Class. He really doesn't have a true position currently for he is too small to be an IDL and too big to stand up and play a 3-4 OLB.

Between me and you, I just wish Mike Tomlin and Teryl Austin would decide on what Leal is before it is too late. This happened with Cam Sutton as well. I just hope history does not repeat itself twice.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think a lot of it depends on how some of the players perform/develop that we have in house already. I wouldn't think either C or RG as stated above are high needs as we have quality players in those positions currently... but a lot can happen in a year.

MLB seems like the highest current priority. Even if Robinson develops well and Holcomb turns out to be a good player, I still think a top 3 round selection could be warranted at the position. Its an important one for our defense and we've been bad there since Shazier got hurt. We might want a game breaker and we could take a 1st round guy and let Holcomb and Robinson split duties on the other side.

SS is another one that seems very obvious. Kazee and Neal could be a great short term solution, but it would be nice to start to work in a young guy with talent to take over long term. This is another area where a top 3 round pick could be in order. I actually don't see a likely scenario where SS isn't a high priority in next year's draft.

Highsmith's situation definitely changes things at OLB, but if we retain him I think we roll forward with what we have or add depth via FA.

DL is a place I feel really confident about right now. I don't forsee a top 3 round pick (again) on the DL. Unless both Leal and Benton look like they wont be good players, I just don't see it here. Mid to late round flier would be fine.

QB, RB, TE and T are areas I feel good about on offense. C and G are also really taken care of for the future. Unless the OL flops this season, I don't think there's a huge need anywhere there in terms of starters.

WR could potentially see a pick depending on what we want to do with Robinson and DJ. Austin is an X-Factor here as well. We could be covered or have a need. Either seems just as likely to happen as the other. Wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Here’s to hoping come November quarterback isn’t topping the list

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:this!:

Hope is an understatement. The "Caleb Williams Sweepstakes" is already hitting new highs in the bookies every week. By the time November rolls around.. god knows what those lines will be. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2