1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Andy Weidl Says Steelers Will Be Going Back To Their Roots

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, May 5, 2023.

1. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/andy-weidl-building-steelers-next-great-o-line/ar-AA1aP327

Andy Weidl Building Steelers Next Great O-Line
    Story by Stephen Thompson • 5h ago

Jones will likely be tasked with all of those things and more during his time with the Steelers. Should he beat out Dan Moore Jr. for the starting left tackle spot, he has the all-important task of protecting the blindside of the Steelers' 2022 first round pick, quarterback Kenny Pickett. He'll join former Eagles linemen Issac Seumalo and Nate Herbig as key offseason additions to the so-called "Pickett Fence".

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’d love to go back to Noll ball

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :smiley1:

4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I know it will unlikely ever happen because today we seem to thrive on high scores, but I miss great D's and just special it was to have a feature back. Does not minimize the importance of a great passing game either, but seeing Franco, Earl Campbell, and other great backs from that era is something missing in todays game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m not a big fan of centering an offense around a feature back because you’re centering your offense around a guy who is being tackled 25+ times per game. I personally think that approach has been getting less and less viable as defenders have gotten faster and stronger.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I am surprised he hasn't been retained already. He is a solid special teamer who can step in as a solid backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I like the Steelers approach of wanting to play bully ball, Pickett isn't an elite QB like some of the other QBs in the AFC, no use in trying to get into a shootout with those other teams. The offense needs to be more efficient in the redzone, and have more explosive plays though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Thats a valid point, and honestly the game has progressed beyond pound the ground existence. I do like Weidel's thoughts though, especially with an inexperienced QB. If you can dominate the line on both sides of the ball good things can happen. On paper (and players) they have the opportunity to be very competitive, move the ball and hopefully score points. Moving it from paper to actual execution is how success or failure will be defined.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Not yet we are not. Pickett needs another season to prove that is actually a franchise Qb. In the meantime, nothing can help a QB more than a good running game. Bring the extra safety in the box and that will give Pickett plenty of easy throws.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

I have no problem with a pass happy offense but not a offense with only 6 yards per pass attempts like in the last few years

• Like Like x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. That is why Warren's play was such a big part of their success later in the season. Harris had some great games, but they still had him sharing the load.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We all liked some of what we saw late last season, but that's not enough. They can't just play ball control, hope to keep every game close and win it in the final minutes. Offenses like what the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals have are too good and that leaves the Steelers open to one mistake being a killer. The Miami game last year is an example.

The defense needs to be better. They need to be able to hold a lead and Watt has to stay healthy. Yes, they need to continue to build on that running game, too. That said, none of it matters if Pickett and the passing game don't take a big step forward. Until he shows he can help them win a game by throwing for 250-plus yards and three or more touchdowns once in a while, the Steelers aren't a real contender in the AFC. He doesn't have to do it every week, but it has to happen some of the time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Fixed it for ya…

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Oh nevermind then, you are sold on him I should give him a chance? lol. 15 years huh? Guess we should be happy about the Malone-Brister-Tomzack-Graham-Odonnel-Stewart-Maddox eras from past history til we actually got Big Ben? Ben was a godsend for us too.. Cowher really wanted Shawn Andrews too.

This is the only way this team can succeed offensively.. It helps that Pickens can make terrific catches on badly thrown balls too

Nevermind the other AFC QBs, the North has a good group outside ours.

Will i be cheering for us to win every game? Yes.. I just know a bad bag of goods which is Pickett.. at best he can be a game manager, GM has to stack the skill positions because this guy won't carry us the way Ben did with the WRs he made.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I actually think Bill ran it more than Noll. I tried finding something proving this , but I can't find what I'm looking for. I personally just want us to be balanced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This. If KFP takes a step forward. The whole team will.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    When the average offense snaps per game are around 50- 60.....throwing 25 - 30 times is perfect. I have always hated throwing the ball more than about 34 times a game.....because I want balance, but not all games allow this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    KFP is the real deal. I have seen some things in him that are leaning toward being top notch. He had two last minute 4th Qtr comeback wins in a row which I believe has never been done by a Rookie QB. But yeah I will never be sold on him no matter what he does HAHAHAH

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By all means, please share with us the basis for your analysis. This should be good.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh this is what they said about #7 and Haley's offense and what it was capable of averaging. Supposedly HOF
    QB that never sniffed close to 30!

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

it's not just one featured back though. warren should be even better in year two. SF has made this work pretty well. KC runs the ball better than most think and usually are pretty balanced. cinci 's run game is a big part of the offense as well. philly and the ravens run but use the QB as the runner. we are too talented to be a 75- 25 run to pass ratio team. i don't think that's what weidl intends for us to become. we have weapons to do both and will. all this will do is frustrate defenses. all we did was make it possible to use all the weapons we have and make them all effective as a unit. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    It would make sense, Marty Schottenheimer was the only coach Cowher was a coach under before coming to Steelers

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    WE COULD HAVE GOT HIM IN THE THIRD!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  25. Thiefery

Thiefery Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2019
    lol 2 last minute TD drives proves he is going to be top notch? lol

we could have, that's where career backups get drafted.. seems like he'll make a nice career about being #2 as the hometown Pitt Panther Hero