1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Darnell Washington

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by dirty, Apr 28, 2023.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I still can't believe they got this guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

not just rank. teams have different offensive philosophies and go after players not only as ranked but how they fit what they want them to do for their teams. fit is as big if not more than analyst's rankings. just like for years when the raiders took the fastest guy they could find. (DHB) it's all about preference. many teams boards look nothing like the so called experts boards. some draft per positional needs and rank guys that way. some rank BPA no matter what the need is. i don't think there is any one formula league wide, no matter what others think of a player.

i'll never forget the year mel kiper said the colts didn't draft the right player and irsah came on and said, who the hell is mel kiper. it still makes me laugh. then you had ditka and the dreads. gave up all the picks for one player. some funny stuff goes on during the draft. :lolol::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Twelve Personnel !!!!!

We shall not be stopped!!!

Cajun

4. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I guess my only concern would be that the knee issues aren't anything now but carrying all that weight could affect them down the road. However, Gronk carried 10 less pounds with very few knee issues but his were back problems. Either way, this cat was well worth the pick and could have went much higher. Going to be awesome watching how he develops and fits in with this offense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    When I woke up this morning and seen that we traded back and then not only drafted Washington but also regained our 4th round pick, I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought maybe I was still dreaming.
    I would have been pleased with any draft that got us Jones or Porter or Benton or Washington. The fact that we got all 4 is unbelievable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i wonder what colbert thinks of this nonsense? i sure like the change we made in the front office. omar and weidl make a good team. not to mention the scouting changes that have come with it. looks like the steelers have hit a home run again. now let's get it on the field. :smiley1::cool:

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    oh the knee issues. he's got two. :smiley1::cool:

8. DuckSux

DuckSux Active Member

Dec 22, 2019
    I live in Savannah Ga and am a Dawgs fan by marriage this guy makes Gronk look like a chump!!!! OMG

LOOKS LIKE THE STATE OF PA Has he 2022 National Champs locked up!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

This years draft was a strong one for TE!! He would have never made it to the 3rd rd in a weaker TE draft class. I’m so pumped up just dreaming of what he’s going to bring to our run game and red zone Offense!!!

The Possibilities Are ENDLESS!!!!

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wonder how long they can keep that tandem together. Have to figure Weidl will be in demand next off season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i would give him whatever he wants to stay. i hope he wants to stay and see it through. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Yeah i know he is happy to see Jones and Washington

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Well... in Defense of Darnell Washington.. the rules have changed greatly since Eric Green was donning the Black n Gold. That said, Tight Ends still sadly possess the highest rate of injury among all positions in the NFL. Not even the great Travis Kelce is immune to getting bit.

Let us hope that Washington can be more durable in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

More like ecstatic.

Najee will have much greater room to run today than they did in the previous two seasons. Not just Najee benefiting here either though. Kenny now has another security blanket to use; an emergency plan should Pat Freiermuth go down again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :nono: I’ll have none of that talk here. The party is still raging!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol: :drinks:

Fair!! :steelflag:

19. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  20. breeze

breeze Member

Dec 4, 2016
    I don’t think Washiington is as good a pass catcher that Freiermuth is but he’s going to be as big a difference maker if he stays healthy. He looks like a better blocker who’ll have to work on his route running. We know the Steelers locker room requires that players buy in and Tomlin is as good as anyone at inspiring men to be their best. This guy is going to do the work. He’ll push Freiermuth and the Steeler way will push him. Amazing that he was still available

• Like Like x 2
  21. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    I can't, either. I was hoping he'd be there at 49. LOL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Probably my favorite pick of the draft. Maybe we can get really lucky and snag Bowers next year.

23. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    Nice read...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...31&cvid=4ae6db804efa4608a0d151fb367df99d&ei=9

Over the past two years, the Georgia Bulldogs have absolutely dominated college football. They’ve gone an incredible 29-1 over that time span, and have won two national titles. And, they’ve been chock-full of physical freaks. Players like Jalen Carter, Nakobe Dean, George Pickens, Brock Bowers, and Lewis Cine all stood out as human cyborgs. But, the biggest outlier of all the Bulldogs was tight end Darnell Washington.

Darnell Washington is a mountain of a man at 6-foot-7, 270 pounds. Typically, someone with that frame will try to put on weight and play as an offensive tackle. But, not Darnell Washington. He moves like a ballerina. He ran a ridiculous 4.64 40 in draft preparation this year. That time at that size simply doesn’t make sense. Couple that with 21 bench press reps of 225 lbs with arms as long as his, and that’s basically an unprecedented body type.

and so on...

• Like Like x 2
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ditka gave up all of his picks that year plus 2-3 the following year.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I hope his knee is good, getting scoped sometimes doesn’t mean anything, but sometimes it is pain management due to something degenerative with the knee.