1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to the Steelers Broderick Jones

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Moore is gonna start the season at LT. He's not a bum. I wouldn't be surprised if the light came on for Moore this year. It's a good problem to have.

Jones will, most likely, be the swing tackle to start the season. Which is fine. He'll get in on jumbo packages, and as a back up. No way we get through the entire season with now injuries at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Did I mention that I'm happy that we got the best, most athletic OT in the draft? The starting LT for the National Championship Bulldogs

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    FINALLY, we spend some round 1 draft capital on OL. It's been well over a decade and our OL play the last few years has definitely reflected that. Glad to see our FO realize that we have to get serious about the OL through FA and draft.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They have had good receivers before too and Jackson barely used them. It will be their TE's that feast same as it ever was

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Honestly a 4th is not bad at all. Specially knowing jets were going to take him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I understand that some people are bummed out about missing that 4th Round Pick. It does sting for certain. However, if Broderick Jones Jr truly turns out to be "that dude" at the Left Tackle spot?!...

I think he will be well worth his draft slot. In addition all, remember that Franchise Caliber Left Tackles are as rare as an EDGE a la TJ Watt. Should you find one?!.... Do all you can to get them if they are in striking range. Broderick Jones Jr's athletic traits and physical tools cannot be faulted. He does need some coaching up though!

Here is hoping Pat Meyer can get him up to speed quick! :herewego:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  7. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You a UGA boy as well?

8. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    New OC Todd Monken from UGA. Wish we had him instead of Canada. This will not be the same Ravens offense of the Jackson era. Less running, more passing, and probably a healthier Jackson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This dude will be a game changer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, but are any of them good at their new primary job of blocking downfield for their QB?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Steelers haven't fared particularly well with 4th rd picks. not sure why anybody would be bummed out about it. Maybe it's because somebody new is doing the drafting and some people were hoping for a stark improvement with that pick. Martavis Bryant in 2014 was the last successful 4th rd pick and we know how that turned out. Everybody after him have been cans. You have to go all the way back to 2006 prior to that (Willie Colon). Based on the Steelers draft history with 4th rd picks that was a excellent pick to give away and move up to get one of the guys they were interested in.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Now counter move that!

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think there's a real possibility that Moore and Chuks are battling for the RT position with the loser becoming the swing tackle. He won't be a finished product as a rookie, but he has a lot of talent and should be able to beat Moore out. I like that we prioritized OL after the disaster it was in the 2021 season. It should be in a good spot moving forward.

Side note: I do think we might be planning on making Moore the RT of the future. Chuks can be cut post 2023 for like 3 million dead cap and might be an attractive way to add 8.7 million to our cap space next season.

Other side note: I REALLY want us to take a corner at 32. I would prefer it to be Peezy Jr., but there are tons of options. DL? S? ILB? Trade back? Gonna be an exciting time tomorrow anticipating our decision...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    4th round picks are what, 5-10% chance at becoming a full time starter in the league? I don't mind trading away a mid round pick if we felt we had to in order to get our guy. We have an extra second at 32, which is worth way more than our missing 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks combined... so, I am fine with it. I wouldn't want less than 7 picks every year, but with the quality capital we have this year I think we will live.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He's still wearing braces and is a beast!
    Wait until he gets his man strength.
    Pro Bowler, and we all know that means you just gotta be popular haha!

• Like Like x 1
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Kenny Pickett Writing a thank you letter To Khan :lolol:;)..................Welcome aboard big man, now go get you some

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I would be happy with either JP jr. or Branch tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
  19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
  20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    933 snaps ..
    7 hurries
    2 hits
    ZERO, ZERO, ZERO 0,0,0,0 sacks (only 2 in 2021)
    1 penalty his entire collegiate career....

Only 21 yrs old

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Just so y'all know, Jones rotated in practice at UGA. It's what Kirby does. And he also played RT in games.

Mason Cole is like this.

It's great for if someone goes down you can fix the line better. As well they typically pick up better to what the player beside them will be doing.

22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If Jones works out the 4th round pick is irrelevant. Hopefully he is their franchise LT for the next 10 years

Glad they have finally invested in the OLine early. I love this pick

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Agree!

But, what is puzzling is the ot's the steelers were so high on went before him, consideing the fact just about every reputable ranking site had BJ ranked higher and on several sites he was #1 OT and much higher than these other on big boards.

6. Arizona Cardinals (from L.A. Rams through Detroit): Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

10. Chicago Bears (from New Orleans through Philadelphia): Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

11. Tennessee Titans: Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

14. Pittsburgh Steelers (from New England): Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

Oh well, several explanations are possible What's yours?? Mine is-------coming later.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Broderick Jones reminds me of Trent Williams when he was drafted.
    The first couple of years were mixed but heavy on the crazy good plays.
    Jones has Williams-like agility and speed to get to the outside and crush the second levels.
    He might play RT this season, depends on how well he does early on.

I am happy that they got the OT.
    Next would be CB but I think they may go for the NT, Mazi. Although, at the end of the night they were looking to get back into the first. (glad they didn't.)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The ravens have a new OC,so this is likely to change...The 49ers had the same problem under Greg Roman