1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Have the Steelers done a bad job?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Mar 28, 2023.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ll repeate I expect us to be highly competitive in 2024

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    To answer the question, no they haven’t done a bad job at all. You don’t go out and lay out the cash for big free agents a year or two before your best widow is expected to open. Realistically we’re looking at taking a step forward next season as Pickett grows. The right course is to focus on our guys that we want to keep long-term (like potentially extending Highsmith, which will take cap space) and bringing in guys on reasonable deals who we expect to contribute the next few years. Blow a bunch of dollars on a bigger name, higher cost free agent and we may be cutting key contributors in 2024 and 2025 when the bill comes due.

If we take a step forward next year, then we’ll be in a better position to sign someone for 2024 who can make a big impact to put us over the top.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Highsmith might not get signed until training camp, they have plenty of time to get a deal done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Appreciate the reply. I might not agree on all of it, but some I do and the rest I appreciate the optimism. Mine ebbs and flows quite radically…

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Jayden Reed and made a thread about him earlier, he could help in the slot and on special teams.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They have seven picks, including four in the top 100.

• Like Like x 2
  7. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I’m aware.

The cavalier swim in free agency after the first four signings is driving me nuts as if they feel satisfied. There is still so much more bolstering to do. The right players won’t stick around forever.

8. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Right, that was a mistake. I’d love to learn that they traded Tribs for a 4th or 5th pick, re-signed Mason for half of Mitch’s pay. And I’d also like to hear that they traded Dotson for a 5th or 6th.

How does 9 picks sound for a couple players who spot is easily filled and saved some cap space?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Mitch is going nowhere, I do agree about Dotson though try and get a pick for him, he's likely to be a backup if he stays and he's in the last year of his contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The '23 Steelers are still taking shape. I like what they've done in free agency so far. Is it enough? I can't say right now. Have to see how the draft goes. Hopefully, they get 2, 3 maybe 4 players that can contribute right away. We really won't know until training camp and preseason about how these guys will perform together. Let's just all hope they can stay healthy. Nothing can derail a season more than a handful of injuries to key players, especially long term or season ending.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Mine does as well. Really, it largely comes down to Pickett. If he’s at least a solid starting QB, we’ve got something brewing. If he doesn’t take much of a step forward, uh oh. Next year will be very telling.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers did a good job of plugging their holes with experienced NFL players. Most of the starter spots on this team are filled. They brought in quality competition for the Oline and upgraded the depth on the Oline. There is still some work to be done in the draft and possibly in FA.

• Like Like x 2
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If you were to criticise their approach in recent years I think it was a mistake to try to run in back in 2021 by bringing back Ben, Juju, Ebron and others, and drafting a running back and tight end with their first two picks. Many on here including myself thought it was time for a reset, clean up the cap and take a down year. They ended up pushing a lot of money in to the future that year with void year contracts and that has had a knock on effect on their cap flexibility that is still being felt.

The window was clearly closed with Ben at QB at that stage and I think most teams would have moved on and tried to reset. I fully understand that that’s not how the team operates but there is a risk of getting stuck in a perpetual cycle of averageness where you finish middle of the pack and draft middle of the pack. It’s really hard to rebuild on the fly. That’s really where they’ve been in recent years. If Kenny works out that could change very quickly of course.

They’ve been doing ok in the draft and have been picking good players for the most part with some notable mistakes in the middle rounds like Green. I like the moves they’ve made this offseason and wouldn’t have too many complaints

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That isn't happening. Look at all the QB's hanging out there now. I believe they will add him another year if he wants but Khan and Art II want him to stay at least this season.

I have been stating as well they should try to trade Dotson for a 5th. That would be great with the additions Khan and Weidl have brought in.

15. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I know and have been told that they aren’t trading Trabisky, but it doesn’t stop me from wanting that to be the case.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    This roster wasn't going to be fixed in one offseason, if they hit on their draft picks, they're headed in the right direction IMO.

17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Im truly not trying to be argumentative here, sincerly…

But, no kidding. That isn’t some ground breaking statement. Of course if they hit on their draft picks it’s a great step in the right direction. But, they, like most teams, they swing and miss at almost the same rate that they hit. Especially if you look at a group of years together. Some years they get lucky with a chunk of guys and sometimes it’s a group of duds.

That is why in a re-building year like last year, this year, and the next - I want them to make smart maneuvers with guys who aren’t part of the real future plan to either maximize their value in trades for cheap contract draft picks or let them loose for what ever cap money they can recover to put towards a smart fit free agent or retaining our guys like Highsmith.

Ever see the movie Moneyball?

(please don’t anybody reply with “its different” baseball isn't football - because I get it. But analytics are becoming more and more a part of the NFL than they were ten years ago. Because there are plenty of applications in football too)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hmm. Lost Me with Analytics. Hey...Football isn't baseball. LoL.
    I had to. LoL
    Seriously....a lot of that doesn't work in any sport where fear, pain, heart, and intimidation can play a factor.
    Although it works well for basketball, baseball, and other non combative sports.

19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I like what PFF (Pro Football Focus) does with grading players by the game and their season and adding in important context to establish the grade and combine that with actual stats when they can.

• Like Like x 1
  20. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Mu
    Much of what you said is very true about the past and then they really chopped their leg with an axe with that wild swing at Devin Bush. That miss is still smarting right now.

Then they gave away some picks trying to stop the crumbling of line backers.

Tough hole to dig out of.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    View attachment 11134 [/QUOTE]
    Penetration

22. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    the entire organization are idiots and they do not realize we know whats best

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    so we're supposed to believe that it was a few

24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    If you like PFF, then you know that a grade of 76.6 is a very solid starting player grade. They graded Trubisky at 76.6 last season, which is exactly the same rating that they gave to Brock Purdy, and just a couple of points lower than Justin Herbert. Oh, they also gave Terrell Edmunds a 69.1 grade, which is a good starter level. I subscribe to PFF and read their analytics, but I take it with a grain of salt.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You already know what I think of PFF.