1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Have the Steelers done a bad job?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Mar 28, 2023.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Post Big Ben?

I’ll admit that I understand how difficult it was for the front office after some insanely unfortunate losing situations mostly out of their control and how difficult it’s been to recover from the likes of Ryan Shazier, Levion Bell, and Antonio Brown.

But they’ve had plenty of time and done an OK job with finding new superstars in Watt and Fitzpatrick. The offensive moves aren’t exactly on-par with the losses.

But post franchise QB cap hit, we are cheering for a team that is just littered with holes and unless they make fancy contract restructures there isn’t any cap money with a starting rookie contracts at QB, RB, WR, TE, and LT…

Would better organizations be struggling in this deep of a hole? Retaining Matt Canada???

And no post season wins in six years.

Have they actually become a very poorly managed franchise and the homer glasses have kept us blind?

Or is there a plan that is in flux and just about to come together in a solid weld?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It will all be seen as how our Qb works out. As We have seen ....
    The best teams have trouble winning without at least a pretty decent Qb....so time will tell.

3. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Overall, I am excited with the moves they have made and hopefully Bud will be in the fold soon as well. Then we can get all amped up for the draft....looking forward to it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    But I’m mostly puzzled and concerned with disparity between cap space and the huge volume of holes to fill vs. all the rookie contracts.

Shouldn't they have far more to work with under these considerations?

Maybe Kahn and his accounting dept. aren’t such guru’s after all. Wrong name applied???

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    post Ben?

How about w Ben? Last 12 years have been a mess......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Definitely. They need to tear it all down and start over

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Well, offensively they really had something with the killer Bee’s. I think everyone liked what they did there. It was just those abysmal defenses that lost us big games to those horrible QB’s. And of course - Burfict.

I tried to explain why IMO those years had more clear context for our short comings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

I hope you are just trying to be hyperbolic. I def do not think that’s where they are.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    [QUOTE="oldschool, post: 1121538, member: 102"]I hope you are just trying to be hyperbolic. I def do not think that’s where they are.[/QUOTE]
    564B872E-E390-4906-A423-B525F99F873C.png

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickett, Pickens, DJ, Muth, Austin, Harris, Warren.

Pickett obviously has to take the next step forward this year but I saw nothing last season that concerns me he won’t be a very good QB. Austin is a question mark but oozes talent. I love the rest of the pieces in place.

Made several moves to sure up the Oline.

Watt, Highsmith, Minkah

All studs and now Peterson has been added to the mix. Biggest question with him is when the tank runs empty. Still has it at the moment though.

Rebuilt the ILB position. I’m sure they will add another piece via the draft.

Dline needs work, Cams getting old. Don’t know about Ogunjobis health but if 100% he can be a big player for them. Tomlin is expecting a big year, says injuries and getting to know a new team held him back last season. Leal has potential. Definitely will be an early pick used on this.

They can free up tons of cap space. They haven’t even really tried yet. Not worried about Khan there, he’s a wizard, he signed three players at the start of free agency for the same amount for the players they replaced. He didn’t have to make a single move to make cap room on them.

This is the most active I can remember the Steelers being in FA in a while. They even made a run at Orlando Brown. They seem to have a more aggressive approach. I’m excited about this coming season and very pleased with where the team is but let’s be real, Pickett needs to be the guy, needs to compete with the big boys or it won’t matter.

Canada is my biggest concern. Unless I missed part of his answer, he didn’t exactly get a vote of confidence from Tomlin. If the offense doesn’t make big strides this season, it will likely be Canadas last.

Not done yet, bring on the draft!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If only I knew how to make those memes, cause this really needs a meme

It’s been 1 year. They potentially have the next franchise guy on the team. It took 32 years the last time. The Browns still haven’t duplicated the Kosar success. So, they’re a bit ahead of the curve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I have lost faith in Tomlin...Year after Year after Year with the underachieving...What gives you any confidence, It's gonna suddenly change

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well we got a shiny new QB and got rid of the one who Year after Year after Year with the underachieving...

There is that

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re about 10 years into Bens career.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ben had top of the League Offenses, and the D ( Tomlins supposed expertise) gave up over 45 points, in the last 3 playoff losses...( Ben doesn't play D )

There is that

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There is that as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    View attachment 11134 [/QUOTE]
    I’m lost here - sorry. This graph is illustrating what?

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    When a team’s post-merger glory days can be referred to as the “Kosar success”…..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

Ok. One year and they are broke unless they make re-structures and been bargain hunting in free agency, lost more players than they gained and haven’t signed their highest in-house priority in Highsmith. And, like we all know, have a ton of holes to fill.

Between Bradshaw and Ben was 21 years not 32. And they screened themselves and all of us by looking past Marino. We’d have 2-3 more trophy’s with that guy and our defences and running games in that era.

And I’m never the guy to use the worst example (The Browns) as my gauge, so we differ there too.

Use your words and do you best to describe your meme. I got one cannot wait.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m lost here - sorry. This graph is illustrating what?[/QUOTE]
    Hyperbolic

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    There is no way You can say We would have won a SB with Marino. Stop.

22. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh yes I can. Were you old enough to watch the football in those years? Marino was lights out with zero running game and middling defenses.

We got deep a couple times with Bubby Brister and Neil O’Donell. Had the Steelers been working with a top 2-3 QB of his era for a significant amount of time, I feel very confident in the claim and I would also bet most would agree that’s not going out on a limb.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah....I was old enough to know Chuck would have not put up with the $hit Miami did. You do know Miami won SBs before Marino got there.
    You do know He had Great HOF coaches, and won no SBs.
    You do know He has fought with Coaches on the sidelines for changing out of running plays.
    Nobody in this world knows if He was here ....We would have win more SBs.
    Also of course most of You believe that....because (the only reason) He's from the area.
    A popular opinion doesn't make a correct choice/answer....it just makes a popular opinion.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  24. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Hmm, I’ve had a few before doing math.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, they made it to the championship game, don’t believe it’s been done since.

• Like Like x 1