1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Drama in Baltimore!

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 16, 2023.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Hey, that insurance policy isn't going to sell itself!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That was my point, I dont think they can 'trade', he either signs the and tag and hopes his new teams offer is not matched, or sits. I may be missing something in the things I have read, but once a tag is put on a player the options are sealed.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Even Colts Owner Jim Irsay said “I don’t believe in fully guaranteed contracts”

That leaves the Pats and they won’t bow down to this dummy.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agree 100% and I think most posters here agree as well

The point I and others are making is that Jackson has done absolutely everything wrong in these negotiations and he has totally screwed himself

This fiasco is all on him and him alone

His first mistake of many was not hiring an agent

His second mistake was somehow thinking the Browns/Watson signing had set the market which it did not

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What sucks over all is......I wanted the Ravens to keep Him, and give Him what He wants....., but they are not dumb enough to pay a Guy that can't beat the Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Making fun of Lamar’s foolish antics is almost as fun at laughing at AB’s foolish antics

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If he does get a big payday I hope he invests in some English grammar lessons. :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s just the thing, he’s not “maximizing” squat. He’s costing himself tens of millions of dollars by sticking to his foolish demands. Just like AB and LB cost themselves millions upon millions by overestimating their market value. Lamar is dumber than I thought and I already thought he was pretty dumb. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They can trade him. The RFA let's him negotiate with other teams and then take that offer to the Ravens. He's torpedoed that now. No team is going give him what he wants and 2 1st's to the Ravens when he's asked for a trade as well.

Now the Ravens and the team he's working with have to try and find a favorable deal for that trade. Then has to negotiate with the gaining team to get his next deal. (This is usually done in advance so they know they're not giving up the house for a 1 year player) In order to affect the trade though, I think he has to sign that RFA tender and then they can trade him since technically he's not under contract next season

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Thats is funny. Would it be a straight trade Mac Jones for Lamar Jackson.

The Good for the Ravens about trading Lamar after he signs his tag is that there is no dead cap money. All 32 million walks right out the door with Lamar. The Patriots would have to eat what is left of Mac Jones' signing bonus money.

To me this is the big advantage that the Patriots have over the Colts; they can send a starting QB right back to the Ravens in a trade.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  11. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    How did AB overestimate his market?

In bell's case he didn't lose. Example he signs the franchise tag for what was it 14.5 mil? Ok let's say he gets a ruan shaziwr sequel injury and can never play another down of football the franchise tag yr. He's only secure dhimself 14.5 million. Where as when he waited and got 35 million guaranteed.

In lamar's case if he got the 133 mil and never was able to play again it's hard to argue he'd not be ok money wise post retirement but he's still trying to get every cent possible. It's no way he should be guaranteed 100 million less than deshaun. I could see if he turned down 180 or something like that but no 133 is too low.

12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I don't see it, by this I mean a trade. By putting that tag on him..if he signs...it dictates what the team is allowed to do, what he is allowed to do, which is talk with other teams. If an agreement is reached the Ravens can match it, or decline and receive 2 firsts. If they remove the tag he at that moment becomes a FA. There is no wiggle room.

13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I don't think thats possible. First Lamar needs to sigh the tag, which guarantees him a one year salary and rights to negotiate with any team, so he signs, then the ravens trade him to the Pats for Jones (not even sure the CBA allows this), then Lamar finds a team (say the falcons) stupid enough to give him 250 million guaranteed. The Pats would then have to match that or get two firsts from the Falcons????

It makes no sense. If Lamar signs the tag any team can negotiate with him, the Ravens can match or get two firsts..that is the choices at this point. There is no trade available any longer, there is no getting more os less value than the two firsts. If they had put the higher tag on him, then I guess they could trade, but again no guarantees. The player could refuse to show up, or just play one year and become a FA.

The letter Lamar wrote was really very ignorant, the Ravens could not trade him..at the start of the date allowed they could place one of three tags on him..or he becomes a FA. They chose the tag they did, he can sign it, and negotiate with any team. There is no trade value (if even possible) there.

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

He only received 27 Million on that contract and was traded to KC. That was supposed to be a 4 year 52 Million deal and only 27 was guaranteed. He sat out a year when that tag would have given him 14.5 (no pay for a year) What really screwed Pittsburgh is they had to hold that cap charge the entire year. So he essentially missed a 14.5 payday and only played 2 years after that. In effect he really only made $13 million more than if he had taken the tag and then took another contract or negotiated.

Steelers Offer was 5y $70m @ $14m per year average with just the $10m signing bonus guaranteed. He wanted $15m per year, but with more guaranteed. He didn't get that with the Jets either. So he basically played 2 season past that at $13.5m per year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You're almost there.
    Right now under the RFA tag he can work with other teams on offers and then take it to the Ravens to match or decline.

Asking for a trade publicly, takes that off the board because no team is going to work that angle when they could work a better deal through a trade with the Ravens. Now the Ravens can start talking with teams about possible deals and then see if Lamar can work a deal with the gaining team, before pulling the trigger. He still hasn't signed that tag and until he does he can sit the season if he wants to. He needs to sign that tag if a trade is to happen, but he won't sign unless he can guarantee that team will have a deal he wants.

Usually teams allow the gaining team to work out a deal that is to be signed after the trade so that everything goes smoothly. It's an absolute mess, but the Ravens have to sit on that cap space incase he decides to sign and come in for the season. They'll the the Game checks back in space as the weeks tick by without him coming in just like Pittsburgh did with Bell.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He wanted the most upfront guaranteed money possible. He got that. 13 million is a significant difference

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019

Lamar Jackson trade request: 5 ways this can unfold for the Ravens (usatoday.com)

Finally found something that made some sense in all this lol. Most places were just comments that were all over the place. So yes if he signs the tender Baltimore can trade that for any compensation they can get, that team however would risk the same obstacles...i.e. Lamar could still negotiate with any team and the new team would have to match or lose 2 first rounders..that however would not happen, as this is kind of back door crap, Lamar already knows the team wants him and will likely sign because the offer has somehow been..hint hint..or because no other team wants to deal with a moron. lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You lost him

Too much logic and math

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Thank you.

If Lamar signs the tag with Baltimore, The Ravens could then turn around and trade him straight across to the Patriots for Mac Jones. There would not have to be any draft picks included in the trade. To me Baltimore has to get a starting QB in return if they are trading Lamar somewhere.

This is the New England Patriots way to trade Lamar for Mac Jones.
    If Jackson finds an offer he likes, he can work out a scenario in which he signs his franchise tag, then the Ravens trade him for whatever haul they deem acceptable. He’d then be able to sign a mega-extension after landing in his new home, theoretically leaving all parties satisfied.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You aren’t seriously trying to suggest Bell made a good decision are you

Thst idiot totally screwed himself financially and professionally

And what do Bell Jackassson have in common

Beither one is taking the advice of a professional agent

Dunb people should not make their own financial decisions

End Forest Gump knew better

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He didn't. I'm taking the for sure more money everytime. His career could've been done over that 14.5 million. It's a risk you don't take with how dangerous the game is. That's why everyone tries to get long term security.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    What's even worse is he tried to use Shazier as an example...The Steelers paid his contract for 2 years knowing he wasn't coming back. Granted a much smaller contract, but still.:facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 2
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Very true but this applies to alot of nfl situations.

25. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Ironically I said the very same thing as this guy in December or January in a post on this forum and you disagreed with me.

• Agree Agree x 1