1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Haven’t signed Benny yet either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I normally fantasize about smashing my dumbbells into their skulls which helps motivate me through my workouts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    @Ender good point about special teams they’ve lost a lot of important players there now you mention it.

At least they got Pierre back, he played every snap on ST

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    crowder, roche, robinson, all will be now playing ST's. i'm sure whatever WR's or RB's we add will play them. killebrew, riley, heyward, pierre are a few of more guys that will be playing them as well. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Wow, doubt we will ever really know the answer, but that's chump change. The wording on the tweet does not make sense to me, 379,411 per game active??? If he was active all 17 games would come to nearly 6.5 million. On the one hand if the steelers wanted him I cannot imagine them not offering him that, for him I can understand wanting to start new.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They had many of those guys already. Watt, Snell, and Boykin would still be significant losses on special teams. At the very least, I thought Snell continued to show he is a solid third
    RB and special teamer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I see that Bobby Wagner went back to the Seahawks for a one-year, $7 million deal. At that price, I'm a little disappointed the Steelers didn't sign him. I'm guessing they would have had to offer more, but he's still better than the guys they signed. I understand their thinking, going with younger guys who will be around more than one season, but I'm not sure either of them is a long-term answer, either.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree. snell has value to us. they may yet talk to him. we will see some UDFA RB's probably brought in hoping for lightning in a bottle again. heyward will most likely take that role as RB 3 i expect. he is the swiss army knife they like. he may be in several rooms during the week since gentry is back. the young players will get their shots at specials but we still have a solid core here. :cool:

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The ILB pick ups the last few years have been disappointing to say the least. From draft, FA's, trades, and just signing some one in general. This is a team where that position was something you never thought about talentwise. Cowherd (take it for what its worth, lol) has stated a couple of times last week that FA signings are successful 1/3 of the time. I have no idea if that is only high tier expectations, the whole bundle, or even if it is legit, but the failure to get that ILB correct has been horrendous. If this team was close to elite, ready for a championship run, then yea you pull the strings and try to get him in, but trying to fill the many wholes we have, I think they are doing it the right way. Two decent guys, a promising young guy, draft another prospect.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm actually pretty excited we got tae crowder in here. roche back as well. it doesn't mean we won't draft that position but i kind of expect a guy that can play multiple roles. i like the depth we have right now on the inside and love the starters we have. outside, i do expect roche to be better than what we had as depth last year. we never got to see what we drafted in him. him playing in NY may not be quite the same as how he plays here. we shall see. they are looking quite hard at this spot in the draft it seems. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

That says it all, either the Steelers didn't like him enough to match that offer, or he wanted out so bad he accepted that Piss poor offer from the Eagles... Also no other team offered a better deal than that??... i Tend to believe The Steelers have seen enough of him and moved on .... Another great pick from Tomlin, Bush Dupree and Edwards:rolleyes:... lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I hope that you're right on this one! I'd prefer a 4th TE over wasting a roster spot on a FB that sees about 25 offensive snaps a year.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers always carry 3 QBs on the roster, if they kept Mason, they wouldn't need to use a draft pick on one. They could then sign a QB as a UDFA to be the fourth camp arm.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Which is pretty much how many offensive snaps a FB plays on 98% of he teams in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The story was that Wagner wanted to stay on the West Coast, even if Pittsburgh offered him I doubt he would've been interested, Roberts and Holcomb might stick around for two years if their play is above the line.

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dupree did turn out to be a good pick, he had 19 sacks his last two years in Pittsburgh, they weren't going to pay to keep him because they had to pay TJ.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    LOL, he looked great in Tenn, Highsmith hat 15 last year alone, and that was without TJ playing 95percent of the season..Duprees best year he only registurd 11.5 sacks

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Who cares what he did with the Titans? He struggled after his knee injury, just like Bush did, Dupree was better against the run than Highsmith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Either of them

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Not much better, and he played 5 years here, Highsmith has been here 2,,, and what do u mean who cares, .. Yea lets bring a brokewn down player back for a feelgood story?.. Yall want him back? sign him to a 1 day contract and let him retire a Steeler..

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know what he has left in the tank, the backup OLBs last season did nothing when TJ was out, I'm sure Dupree can be better than those scrubs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Are you sure? The year Ben went down, they had traded Dobbs away and only had Mason on the Bench.

Duck was not on the roster but had been cut at the beginning of the season. He might have been on the practice squad when Ben was injured, but he was definitely not on the regular roster.

I can definitely see them running with only 2 QBs on the roster and then having a 7th round pick, or UDFA on the practice squad. I think Mason was active for a grand total of 1 game last year, something they could have easily replace with a practice squad player.

24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    So yes, the Steelers always have 3 QB's however sometimes that 3rd guy is on the practice squad which was the case with Hodges in 2019. However, I thought there was a new rule for this season about allowing teams to dress a 3rd QB for games so that may change.

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree but doubtful that Bud is signing anywhere to be a backup.