1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offseason Moves/Free agent signings

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 15, 2023.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Thats nice

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What is the ratio of starts for both players for the Pittsburgh Steelers?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    My issue with this is that once the changed and activated the DE's like Cam and Tuitt is that the didn't finish the process. So the were still running Lebeau 3-4 concepts with the linebackers while they made the ends more vertical than horizontal. Instead of the front three eating up blocks while stringing the run east to west and allowing the inside backers to flow to the ball carrier you have everyone being moved north and South with guys guessing gaps getting blocked and opening big cut back lanes. They need to either go back or go forward this half place they are in is what leads to teams running on them.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I once walked by two people at a dog park, staring at the ground and arguing over two different pieces of dog sh!t on the ground. There's an eerily similar conversation going on here......

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I know I really didn't want to get involved but it sucked me in just because I want to scream how can you not see it. But if everyone saw everything what would we talk about.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I can say my cat poops rainbows, too, but cats don't do that and I don't have a cat.

If you said I was doing the same thing you would be wrong. I'm not ignoring any statistics. I'm doing the honest, intelligent thing. I'm looking at it all. Clearly, that is what the Steelers did, too, which is why Rudolph wasn't even active most of this past season. Trubisky is no more than a middling backup, but Rudolph isn't even that.

Hell, at least when Trubisky lost his job as a Steeler, it was to a first-round draft pick. Rudolph lost his job to Duck Hodges.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I saw it. I just knew it was stupid.

8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That's what I love about you scribe you don't care who's wrong or who's right as long as you're right and everyone else is wrong.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Trubisky started five of the 17 games the Steelers have played since he joined the team (29.4 percent). Rudolph started 10 of 81 games the Steelers played since he joined the team (12.3 percent). This was despite the fact that the one time Rudolph had a real shot to start, he got a much longer leash before losing his job to an undrafted rookie who was out of the league about a year later.

By the way, if you want to look at everything, Trubisky started 56.7 percent of his teams' games since he was drafted.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I have been trying to be a kinder, gentler me, but my patience does have limits, especially when I know the numbers are on my side.

11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    To be completely fair the options at that point was Duck or the duct taped weight bench. He might have lost it to Dobbs if he wasn't traded.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I've never had much luck with numbers it's why I don't gamble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Mitch is a Steeler and it doesn’t seem like we are in a hurry to discard him. Mason likely won’t find his next team until after the draft. The QB rooms across the league will be set after a number get drafted. Then a team will bring him in to compete for a roster spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think the steelers and the wider league have told us what they think of Mason. Viable backup QB’s are a valuable commodity, and yet he doesn’t have a job. He will get on a roster somewhere eventually I’m sure, there will be injuries in camp and teams will be left short etc, but I guarantee you if Mitch was cut in the morning he’d get an offer sooner and for more money. Even teams like the Colts who dont have a QB and are facing a very uncertain draft situation haven’t brought him in to compete.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I agree with these sentiments. I don’t get the romanticized views that some fans have of Rudolph. I was a bit excited to see what he could do back in 2019. He started off as an “OK” caretaker of the offense, but it became evident (to me at least) that the limitations that I saw on his college tape persisted. I posted on it many times back at that time. There are a number of throws that he simply doesn’t make well at the NFL level, and it limits his ability to lead an offense. He really has one tool in his toolbox that’s above average, and that’s his deep ball on a Go route down the sideline. A QB can’t be a consistent producer at the NFL level without having the ability to make at least most of the throw’s effectively. I think the team was correct in not wanting to go into 2022 with him as the starter.

All of that said, I think Rudolph can do enough to be an adequate backup QB at the NFL level. If the choice is between Trubisky and Rudolph at the same price, I’m taking Trubisky. If the choice is Trubisky with an $8 million avoidable salary or Rudolph with a $3-4 million salary, it’s worth considering going with Rudolph and spending the difference on someone at another position who we know will play meaningful snaps for us (maybe a safety? Or Rock Ya Sin at corner?).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

nor is gentry. i want better. so do others it seems. :cool:

17. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Exactly. To me, this should be the focal point of all this Rudolph vs Trubs mumbo jumbo.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    obviously the steelers think much more of Trubs tan they do Rudolph. I don't think there's a dime's worth of difference between the two. But that's just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 3
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Puts an end to TE draft talk.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Did we sign a T? Love seeing the steelers so active in FA. Dont recall ever seeing the FO so active in FA. Haven't seen the full list a FA signing though so just getting pieces here and there.

22. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Who cares. We can't win with either one of those bozos. This has been the story of Steelers backup QBs ever since Charlie Batch. Our #1 goes down and we are fooked. Neither Mitch nor Mason matters.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They signed a T a few days ago, LeRaven Clark he's a backup type of player, I don't think that stops them from drafting one early.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Thanks. Hope you're right. I'm still on the page of grabbing 1 of the top 4 Ts in first round. The homer in me would love to see Darnell Wright in the B and G.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012