1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Will losing Edmunds change the Draft priorities?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Brice, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If the little BLURB on the right can be believed we will soon be seeing Edmunds sign with another team.

Who will take the field and help with run support as the Steelers starting Strong Safety in 2023?

And please, do not try to put little Kazee at the line of scrimmage and ask him to help out in stopping the run. Kazee is Minka's backup and our 3rd deep safety when we use the 3 Safety package and has no business anywhere near the line of scrimmage trying to shed blockers and help with run support.

upload_2023-3-23_11-22-33.png

Are there any good Thumpers at Strong Safety in this year's draft class?

I was reading about SYDNEY BROWN, ILLINOIS, but they said before he came back for his 5th year, he was not considered to be a good pro prospect at all.
    Even with that tremendous speed, though, it may surprise you to know that Brown was almost entirely a box safety this past fall (only 60 of his 742 snaps came deep). That’s because, at 205 pounds, he’s more than willing to mix it up. He collected 16 stops in the run game this past fall and proved to have one of the more versatile skill sets in the draft class. https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-top-10-safety-rankings

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I don't think it will. Don't think Edmunds was in their plans once Kazee was signed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I certainly think that SS is more of a priority. Kazee has never started at SS, and I think it would be foolish to peg him as the starter there. We will either add a different name at the position via FA or address in in the first 3 rounds of the draft. I wouldn't be shocked to see a rookie taking starting NFL snaps at SS next season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If the Steelers take someone other than Brian Branch in the first round they could the other safety from Alabama Demarco Hellams in the 3rd round. Hellams led the Tide with 108 tackles last season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Your plan is to have Kazee playing Strong Safety?

Or are you having Minka up and let Kazee be the deep safety? I hate it when Minka is playing up for run support, takes away all his Superman abilities in the secondary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I don't have a plan. Vent to Omar. But the answer your seeking is in the draft.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe that's why they were looking at the kid from iowa state and the kid from minnesota. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, if you ask @S.T.D he will tell you that we can just roll out a broken tackling dummy, park it in Edmunds’ spot, and it would be an upgrade.

Joking aside, it’s currently an unfilled need. I wouldn’t expect to have Kazee play several hundred snaps as a box safety in base defense, but maybe he’s surprise me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agree with Deke in we need to wait until the contract details come out to determine the weight the loss. If it is over $5 million a year then I would understand why the Steelers let him go.

This is a ton of Defensive snaps to replace. Say what you want about Edmonds, but he was a Mr. Dependable for the Steelers over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm middle 50s, and I could do just as much as Edmunds. You could dress Me up in His uniform, don't tell anyone, and some people in here would still say How good He is....LoL :lolol:

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. That's the truly greatest thing that's not a lie....He was dependable.....that's it. I hope our next 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks We can say more then....He was dependable.
    He was Dependable not to cover well.....He was Dependable not to know His assignment....He was Dependable to make tackles from behind.....because He severely missed them the 1st time, and He was Dependable to be hollered at by His own teammates more times than I can remember any being....ever.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell I'd bring Lamar in for a little over a million. What the F**k does that prove.....besides that's what the Steelers thought of Him????:shrug:

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    #80 pick will be a SS.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Jordan Battle (S, Alabama) might be available there. If we don't take Branch in 1.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not entirely convinced Edmunds is gone. Have you seen any Steelers responding and saying goodbye, wishing him luck? Nope.

That’s kind of odd and Edmunds message itself was iffy if it was a goodbye.

Would be hilarious if he was just trolling the haters :lolol:

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think it is more likely that it was an angry response to not getting the sort of contract offer he wanted from the Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just odd no players have chimed in on his departure.

20. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It definitely was questionable as a goodbye and potentially nothing more than a "Thank you Pittsburgh" type post. Cryptic for sure, but idk. It would be weird if he were coming back and made that post, but who knows. lol

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

what a change from the catholic school girl uniform you usually dress up in. :roflmao::lolol::cool:

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is weird. I just think what he posted was more likely to be a reaction to his situation or a negotiating tactic than trolling fans who don't like him.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh, so you’ve seen his YouTube videos?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I wonder if it is a reactions from a meeting with the Steelers where he was told they have no interest in resigning him at this time, rather than an actual offer from another team? Steelers signed him before the draft last year, maybe they told him he was going to have to wait until after the draft this year for their decision on his contract status.

I have have not heard of any NFL Teams that have come forward to claim Edmunds contract yet.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011