1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

pro days

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Mar 17, 2023.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I will admit, I didn't pay much attention to the PAC 12 until the near end of the 2022 Season. That said, players like Luke Musgrave, Tuli Tuipulotu and Mekhi were players that did impress; specifically Luke though. Had to watch some of Mekhi's tape given how much you have alluded to him. Have to say, very impressive.

Versatile piece for certain. I wish he were stronger so taller WRs wouldn't bully him but one cannot have everything I suppose. Some say he is a Day Three prospect but in the right scheme, I can see someone opting to gamble on his talents late Day Two.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why Sprint to the Podium; Who are you replacing Watt or Highsmith? Anyway there would be a Trade? I still keep seeing the Steelers taking an edge player with one of their top 3 picks and keep asking myself why???

A guy who weighs 239 lbs has absolutely no business trying to play DE on a 3-4 team.

I just don't see the Steelers drafting a WR or a Edge player this year with their top 3 picks. Assuming Iowa States 2 best players will be gone by the 3rd round, but who knows maybe one of them drops down that far.

I didn't see the Safety for Iowa State on that list of players I posted. Anthony Johnson Jr. maybe for a 6th or 7th pick

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:hmm:

Umm...

Kahn has been on record in stating that Highsmith will be a Steeler for life. I have no doubt that Highsmith's contract will get done at some point before the 2023 Season; more than likely before the start of Training Camp. For that matter, having an ascending player, one who plays a key position no less, leave such as Highsmith borders on the path of illogical. The Front Office has made some questionable moves for certain but nothing I would go so far as to say asinine. If anything, Will McDonald IV actually increases Highsmith's longevity as having him and/or Watt play 90% or more of the snaps per season is simply asking for trouble; a great segway into the second point.

For two, I strongly disagree about the lack of a need for another quality EDGE player; Pittsburgh dearly missing T.J. Watt for half of the season being the biggest factor in all of this. T.J. Watt is the engine of the pass rush. Lose him, the entire rush goes. This was no more evident than against New York in Week Four. Had the Steelers had T.J. Watt then, Pittsburgh likely wins that game and likely claims a playoff spot. Hell, the game against Cleveland can arguably be counted as another win as Pittsburgh was winning that game until the start of the fourth where the pass rush once again fell off. The biggest reason this happened was, again, lack of depth at EDGE. The days of simply running two rock solid EDGE players all game long are over. Part of the reason is due to the schematic changes the NFL sees year over year. The other reason?! Risk of injury. Will McDonald IV solves this... and in a big way. Merely looking at his weight is a very short sighted assessment as that undermines how gifted he is of a pass rusher. Will isn't just a "finesse" rusher contrary to popular belief. Will has considerable speed to power capability; something he displayed greatly during his final two seasons at Iowa State.

For three and, most importantly, none of us knows what the draft will entail as we don't even know what Round One is going to look like. What we do know is that the draft season is around the corner and more rumors about prospects will continue to heat up as we near the date.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

But what did they eat?

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Everything I’ve read about Mc Donald is that he’s a great pass rusher but a real liability against the run. He’s a third down edge. Can’t set the edge to save his life. He may fall.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They were already in the state for Iowa's pro day, so they attended Iowa State's the next day.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I hope the Steelers don't take him at #17, they have bigger needs than a backup edge rusher.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they always go to ohio states pro day. close proximity. wr's, OL, DE, S, CB's. lots to see there. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this kid has some brains. anthony johnson iowa state do it all DB talks about how the steelers want to play him.

interesting. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    will mcdonald. who is the first player he says he watches to model his game around? TJ watt he said.

we had all the big wigs here. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Went looking for a highlights video on the kid and couldn't find anything. Don't know much about him, but it does appear that we are showing a bit of interest at the SS position for the draft (makes sense with the current roster).

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    another smart cookie from the iowa state pro day.

xavier hutchinson. :cool:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    hearing him talk about what he can do and knowing every spot and even more of knowing what everyone else is doing out there says something about this kid. says he can play in the box, can play outside, can play deep or come down and cover the slot as well. nice find if he's that guy for us. seems humble and centered too. :cool:

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    o'rien vance again iowa state pro day. LB.

:cool:

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

he's number 1.

20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Will McDonald has a 44" vertical leap the highest at the combine. Think about that, a guy 240 lbs jumping nearly 4 feet straight up in the air.

• Like Like x 2
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    terrell smith minnesota gopher.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

along with 35 inch arms. :smiley1::cool:

23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Doing the math here, McDonald is 6'4", can jump with his feet off the ground another 44" and his arms are nearly 3 feet long. That means he could leap up and knock a pass down that is 13 feet in the air. That's pretty amazing.

• Like Like x 2
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. all that's left is to put a pair of glasses on him and nobody will know who he is. :lolol::cool:

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Is he? #1 appears to have the last name Young on his jersey. Couldn't find him out there in the first 3 or so minutes. Maybe #25? Idk.