1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

O-line growing pains again?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure what you were watching last season. I saw an offensive line that improved tremendously as last season went on. Doesn't the offensive line coach deserve some credit for that? I was critical of Meyer early last season, but I think we have to credit him for what he was able to do with the line as the season went on.

Canada, however, does suck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    IMO, the 4th best OT is Darnell Wright and he could be a day 1 starter at RT. While secondary is position of need, we must invest in the OL or Picketts career will be a short one. Seumalo was an excellent acquisition and tells me the FO understands the need. I just hope they don't see that one FA pick up at LG as the silver bullet and then sit back. I know I've said this a lot, but the Chiefs got it right after losing the SB to the buccos BECAUSE of a crappy OL, they invested in it and made it one of the best in football in a single off season. They invested in an all pro LT in FA, another vet G, then drafted an all world C and hit a homerun with Trey Smith in Round 6.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I would put Darnell Wright at 4th and would take him or Jones in a heartbeat. As a UT Vols fan, I'm trying to not be too much of a homer but I think Wright is a can't miss that I would have called a sleeper but after the senior bowl and combine, he started raising eyebrows and is more on the radar now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I like the addition of Isaac Seumalo and I see they have him penciled in for Left Guard currently.
    He has the ability to play Right guard as well (as he did previously). I feel much more comfortable with him protecting Kenny's backside than Herbig which was an improvement over Dotson.
    Either one helps Moore out, though I much prefer an OT from the draft replace him.
    The current penciled depth chart only has 2 starting OT's.

Andy Weidl's influence is definitely showing.

By default, improvement along the offensive line will all this offense to open the playbook to slower developing downfield plays.
    Especially if they clear holes for the running game to collect 100yds+.
    Last season, our offense started owning time of possession as the offensive line started clicking together. Still, during that time, the weak links were not hard to point out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    they did improve - greatly in the 2nd half but competition also weakened. BUT - now we are tweaking it again. I am being somewhat facetious, but still we won't be dominating by any stretch. that is due to Cana-duh.

6. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He also said he could kick too Hahahahahahaha!

• Like Like x 1
  7. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    There were times when at their peak, the Ravens running game could not be stopped even though everyone knew it was coming. The same thing could be said about the Eagles last year. Granted, the Steelers will not be using the QB run like either of those teams but the point is that the offense doesn't always need to be complex to be successful. We all understand that Canada is pedestrian but a punishing run game will go a long way to getting this team moving in the right direction.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Agreed with Wright being fourth. Jones does have a case but I believe Wright is more versatile than others give him credit for.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Definitely. He is strong, quick feet, and smart. Played through a lot of adversity at UT due to teammate injuries along the OL and constant coaching change ups.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have also thought, and worried about this...
    I'm hoping...being His second year as a OL coach, having the actual same Qb, and knowing how that went last year help in speeding up the cohesion of the line quicker than last year.
    So again....I guess I'm just hoping. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    We do not have a single backup tackle under contract...... Is there any chance Dotson can move to tackle?

I read some draft talk about how Peter Skoronski may have to move to Guard in the NFL because his arms are too short?
    Skoronski measured in at 6-foot-4, 313 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine Sunday, but his arm length was just 32 ¼ inches. Ideally, NFL teams like their offensive tackles to have 34-inch arms or longer to be better able to get their hands on pass rushers early on the edge. I am assuming this is the crazy reason why mock drafts post combine now have Skoronski as the 3rd Tackle off the board.

I see online reports of Kevin Dotson having 33" Arms; if that is a thing.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The most important piece is protecting the future a Mr. Kenny Pickett.

Brian Baldinger ex NFL Offensive Lineman, broadcaster and analyst was talking on 93.7 The Fan Pittsburgh and said he liked both of the guard additions and said that Moore plays stiff and gets handled by speed rushers. And said Danial's needs to improve.

They need to draft a Franchise Left Tackle at 17. Moore can be the primary back up. Then corner, Defensive Tackle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    No, Dotson can't move to tackle. We will either draft one or sign a cheap veteran. We just don't have that person on the roster right this second.

Yeah, the arm length on Skoronski is definitely the reason why some mocks have him going later than originally thought. Some teams may only view him as a Guard bc of it. I wouldn't be against taking him and playing him at T

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And We have .....I repeat....No Starting CBs except for an over 30 year old player that has been busted once with PEDs.
    You people do realize You need more than one CB???
    Seems a bunch aren't worried about that, but are worried about having backups at every possible position, but careless about having starters at CB.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You keep saying this, but my little chart that shows we currently have NO Backup Tackles, and then it shows that we have both starting CBs, and Backup CBs currently on the team.

No faith in Wallace who seemed to come on strong down the back stretch after getting the start when Witherspoon failed. 4 Ints
    upload_2023-3-20_19-48-41.png
    Pittsburgh Steelers Depth Chart | ESPN

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  16. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I also don’t feel like they had a plan or identity and didn’t know the direction they were heading with the QB. I can only hope they have a very solid and cohesive plan this season.

Free agency is leading me to believe there is regarding offense. Canada is is becoming a bigger and bigger X-factor. He’s getting his tools.

The defense just seems like they are trying to hold on to what they had and inch forward a bit. Until they strike gold at ILB with at least one player nothing seems on solid ground. Too much shifting.

17. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    How come you keep glossing over Levi Wallace?

Ditch Mitch and sign Roc-Ya Sin and then draft a CB at 49 to learn from P2.

18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This is some serious hyperbole. The CB room is already better than it was last year with the addition of Peterson. Peterson + Wallace + early draft pick = 2023 CBs > 2022 CBs

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think they are ditching Trubisky at this point, with most of the free agent backup quarterbacks already signed elsewhere. I do like the idea of signing Roc-Ya Sin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Would be a solid addition but will cost more then are willing to pay at this point I believe. Reports are 9 miil per year. Waive Ahkello Witherspoon and save 4 mill which would be a good start.

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    levi wallace isn't chopped liver. :cool:

22. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Agree ... this DEFENSE needs to be injected with some young talent in all 3 phases. ..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cody mauch is in the same boat. 32-3/8" arms. short arms allow the defenders to get hold inside and move these guys. longer arm DE's and OLB'ers can better control these types. not saying they are bad players but it does usually make a difference. :cool:

24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't see growing pains I see effort to improve.

Lot of these guys Dotson, Green, Dan Moore really have been playing out of necessity. Like I don't think Dotson or Moore are crap like some think, serviceable guys, but will they ever be a Pro-Bowl level guys more than likely no...

Because Steelers had no Cap space to sign FA O-Line people. They do now.

Now people will be pushed and competition breeds excellence, so I like it. Guys won't just be handed a spot because there isn't crap to be had there.

25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    I know but the just aren’t listening to ME!!!

It’s like they are related to my wife or something. Sheesh…